Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Due to bad chemical straightening

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Unregistered Guest View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unregistered Guest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Due to bad chemical straightening
    Posted: May 16 2005 at 12:49pm
I used to have a head full of very waivy black hair. But, in my infinite stupidity, about three years ago, I got my hair chemically straightened. Since then, my hair loss has not stopped. I think that the a**h*** who straightened my hair did permanent damage to my scalp. Initially I thought that the hair loss was a temporary side effect and soon stop. But it has continued to the point that my hair on the top of the head (where he actually used all his chemicals) must have lost about 75% of its hair, also the new growth is very thin and fragile. Can anybody tell me if there is hope for me and if yes, then what can I do.
BTW I have tried minoxidil solution and it seems to do little for me, maybe it is cos my scalp is damaged.
Jhair View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jhair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2005 at 12:20am
How long did you try the Minoxidil solution? Sometimes people don't see results for a few months of use. Use some good, professional products to help keep the hair you have healthy.
Jhair
baller5000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baller5000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2005 at 5:45pm
man that's something 
Sharyg11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sharyg11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2005 at 8:38pm

Wow, what a nightmare. Do you know what kind of chemicall straightener was used in your hair? Was it Thermal Reconditioning or regular Sodium Hydroxide?

Chemical relaxers can cause scalp damage that results in permanent hair loss. However permanent loss is not common after just one treatment, but I guess it can happen. How long was the chemicall left in your hair? Did your scalp hurt (or felt sore) afterwards?. If it did, that means the chemicall was applied directly to your scalp, which is a big no no. If the chemicall is left on the scalp too long, it can actually damage the hair bulb inside the hair follicle. If the hairbulb is damaged, it can stop producing hair permanently.

Now, the new hair your are talking about, is it growing back where it fell out? or is it the hair you have left that keeps breaking off?

If it is hair that keeps growing back where it fell out, then you still have hope. But if there is no hair growth at all in those areas, then permanent damage was done and hair will not grow there again.

It there is hair still growing there but is weak you need to #1 get a healthy diet with plenty of greens. #2 there is a product called Salerm hair loss treatment, which works wonders. I think is the only product that actually works. It comes in vials for weekly treatments, and in spray for daily treatment.

I never believed in any hair loss product, until 2 months ago when I went to visit my family in NJ. I have a cousin who had a huge bald spot on the bottom back of her head.  It was about 2 1/2" long by 2" high. Absolutly no hair would grow on that spot, and I thought it never would. The skin on the spot actually look shiny. Like it does on man when they are permanently bald. She had it for about 4 or 5 years, so I figured it was permanent for sure. This summer when I went to visit, I was talking to her when all of the sudden she ran out of the room and came back in with a bottle of Salerm product in her hands. She said to me, "this thing is great", "do you remember my bald spot"?. She turned around and lifter her hair up. I could not believe it!, She had a bunch of hair growing where her bald spot was. This hair was thick dark and healthy. I was truly amazed. She had about 2 months lenght worth of grow, and the entire bald spot was covered.  If you want to try the product you can buy it at justbeautyproducts.com and at Metrobeauty.com. I wouldn't tell you to try it if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes. Now they are expensive, the spray by itself is $38. If you buy the whole package which brings the shampoo the spray and the pack of vials is $88. But it is worth it, if it can help you grow your hair back. Remember to be patient. If it works, it will probably take about a month to show visible results.

Well, let me know if you try it, and if it works!

Keep me posted. Good luck and thick hair.

niko1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote niko1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2005 at 12:31am

I went through a similar situation about 7 yrs. ago except it happened to me from hair bleach. Had huge bald spots and every length of hair you can imagine. I looked like something in a sci-fi movie.

Tried everything nothing worked until my husband heard of laser therapy. I went to a clinic that had it and behold 4 months into it hair was finally coming in like crazy.

My hair now is in better condition than even before the bleach problem. I was very fortunate.

mocha View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mocha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2006 at 2:53pm
Tell me more about this Salerm Hair Loss Treatment and how long it takes before you see results...
1babydimple View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1babydimple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2006 at 9:39pm

Sorry to hear about that, a few years back I had the same problem. The hair has grown back in but it changed textures. After searching and trying everything. These are the products I used to get my hair and scalp back into shape.

BIOTIN SHAMPOO

http://service.bfast.com/bfast/click?bfmid=37927889&site id=41592527&bfpid=443&bfmtype=puritans&http://ww w.puritancatalog.com/pages/file.asp?PID=313&CPID=443

PANTHENOL HAIR THICKENER & CONDITIONER

http://service.bfast.com/bfast/click?bfmid=37927889&site id=41592527&bfpid=407&bfmtype=puritans&http://ww w.puritancatalog.com/pages/file.asp?PID=1&CPID=407

Polysorbate 80 w/Biotin and Niacin

http://service.bfast.com/bfast/click?bfmid=37927889&site id=41592527&bfpid=859&bfmtype=puritans&http://ww w.puritancatalog.com/pages/file.asp?PID=549&CPID=859

It took about a year of using these products, taking a multiple vitamin and trimming off the damaged ends before I was back in shape.

Don't be discouraged it will grow back.

mocha View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mocha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2006 at 10:43pm
Hi jamesbald

Sorry to hear about your experience...

My hair was damaged too but from braiding.

Edited by administrator - August 13 2006 at 8:58am
harshoot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harshoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2010 at 6:42am
i have exactly same problem like you. can u please tell me that anything works on your problem. 
deepacg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deepacg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2015 at 1:30pm
Hi,

I also faced the exact same issue Ermm. I foolishly did chemical straightening to my hair 3 years ago at a nearby salon. They said they are using a famous known brand. But I am sure they have cheated. Because I have done this process only once and I have been suffering for the last 3 years! Disapprove. I lost almost 50% of my hair and still continuing Ermm. My hair started premature greying too! Cry.

I went to a dermatologist and he suggested Kera XL serum along with some vitamin tablets and a medicinal shampoo. Kera XL is costly. It costs Rs. 990 for 60ml. But it is like a magic potion which stopped my hair fall instantly. But problems are far from over. If I stop this then my hairfall and all the associated problems come back! Disapprove

If anyone else used this please let me know how to maintain my hair even after or if I will have to buy and use this my entire life!

PS: I tried applying coconut oil for hours on the hair before shampooing but still it doesn't work. Kera XL seems to be the only solution to my problem.
Hair Loser!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic