Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What is the best hair oil/oils?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 9>
Poll Question: What is the best hair oil/oils?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
41 [16.80%]
30 [12.30%]
17 [6.97%]
23 [9.43%]
7 [2.87%]
2 [0.82%]
78 [31.97%]
2 [0.82%]
8 [3.28%]
36 [14.75%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
ladyflash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladyflash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2007 at 6:23pm
I lke coconut oil. Its light enough so it doesn't weigh down my hair. I also like the smell. Right now I'm using a mixture of WGO, coconut oil and peppermint oil. The mixture works great as a prepoo and sealing oil.
CHECK OUT MY PHOTOS! My Fotki Album
simplired View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simplired Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2007 at 6:48pm
what is wgo?
ladyflash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladyflash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2007 at 7:37pm
Wild Growth Oil.
CHECK OUT MY PHOTOS! My Fotki Album
simplired View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simplired Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2007 at 10:14pm
o.k.
I read your album, the journey you have been on is much like mine, hair stylist using wrong products, cut happy and i got styles that lasted 1 day even after the caked on hair spray the put on.  So I went on my journey thru the internet and stumbled upon UBH Publications, first i got some copycat site tryng to mimmick UBH..they got money money $20. oh well.
UBH, I  learned alot of takiing care of my own hair and keeping my hair relaxed. I dont want to come out of my relaxer either. the key is moisture and protien and condition, less heat...I wear a wig, no cap under it, Keep the coco oil on it and sleep with satin pillow & scarf.  I use AUbrey natural Shampoos.  my hair was to my upper back, now at my shoulder, so I am really trying to get my hair back ( the wig allows me to keep heat styling tools off my hair while I get it in shape.  I am trying to distance the relaxing schedule to  8 weeks instead 6.....Have you tried the relaxer called Naturalaxer (not harsh straightening chemical....go to EWg.org and get info on toxican in shampoo.....very informative..you may second guess things you use on your head and body...dont want to scare you though
SexySyn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SexySyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2007 at 10:45am
I just started using Avacado Oil and so far so good. I have been using it at my nightly regime and my ponytail baggies.  It's rich in proteins so it strengthens and right now I don't have any split ends.

1.  I love Phase 3 oil by Proactiv ( I think )  I used this once a week before using my curling iron and it leaves my hair silky soft and not dry from the heat.  I love it

2. EMU oil for about 3 months and it's ok, it leaves no greasy residue and helps my hair retain some moisture.

3.  Kera Care Essential Oils is great. I love it. It has a great mixture of natural oils and it smells of sweet coconut and is not sticky at all.  I have been using this about 6 months and I love it a little goes a long way. 

4.  Virgin Coconut Oil is GREAT!  I went to the health food store in search of Jojoba oil, but they were out so I remember reading about VCO somewhere online and decided to give it a try.  I couldn't wait to give it a try.  Besides it smelling great it made my hair extremely soft and the breakage stopped immediately.  I am so excited at my new find.  Tonight is my Co wash and I can't wait to try it out and go ahead with my regiment from there. So I'll keep you posted.

I tried wild growth oil, Nexxus oil (smells like cooking oil) and kemi oil they didn't move me.

Edited by SexySyn - April 24 2007 at 12:49pm
simplired View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simplired Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2007 at 9:16pm
O.K. good you found what can work for you....remember  dont get any on your scalp, moisture is for hair only. scalp should create its onwn natural oil.

I havent put any coco on my hair for three days, and guess what I still soft hair (not dry at all)  My point here is howofften does your obsorb those oils and does it get dry all over again....this is wha I found with all the products I tried, very very temporary, and then  you get a build up because you have to constantly put on hair which eventually will get on your scalp, causing itching, ect.

Kemi sucked, BB MOisture sucked, QP, African Prides and more cant thnk right now, been thru them allDead

Look at your ingredients and compare the harsh and health concerns....go to ewg.org.

the coco oil and jojoba, you can ut on your body and scalp....coco you can cook with as well.  Guess how much money you will save on hair oils,moisturizers, lotions

Edited by simplired - April 19 2007 at 9:22pm
Nothing Beats a Failure but a Try!     Sondra
SexySyn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SexySyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2007 at 10:30pm
I have been flipping the bottles over and reading the ingredients and staying away from petroleum and mineral oil.  Now correct me if I am wrong but I thought alcohol was something to stay away from too, but I have noticed that alot of moisturizers have cethyl alcohol in it.

I have also noticed alot of products are temporary.  I am now experiencing dry ends and no matter what I do pony baggies, no baggies, it still gets dry once the air hits it.  have you found any oil that helps obtain moisture?
simplired View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simplired Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2007 at 12:59pm
HI Sexysyn

About products, you have to do more that look at the a few items on the bottle, you have to look at them all, many of them case cancer they are carcinogen, dyes, fragrances and yest alcohol, stay away from it is VERY drying

when you get a pure and natural shampoo and moisturizer no acholol is in them.

I too had the ends drying out faster.....it getting better now since I am using the COCONUT OIL every day and focusing more on the ends.

PLease I can not strees this more than anything go to EWG.ORG and view the Skin deep toxic list of inredients....there you will find out just what is in your products and the health issues with them

Yes, you probably dont have cancer  now, but you never know why you get illness later on in life and you wonder why you get what you get.

I had allergy for years, did not know why, wow ehen I change shampoos I noticed a change, so something in some on the shampoo maybe, who knows for sure.

twingotti View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twingotti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2007 at 10:06pm
Carrot Oil is good for the guys that have waves in their hair such as myself. It naturally conditions your hair and changes your hair texture after repeated use.
simplired View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simplired Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2007 at 11:34pm
what does the texture of your hair changed to be I am curious
Ariel21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ariel21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2007 at 11:12am
I've been using the Ginseng Oil products for the longest. They really help combat hair dryness! I believe this oil system is severly underrated because it has helped me grow my hair from chin length to waistlength!
Ariel21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ariel21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2007 at 11:13am
I have been using the Ginseng Hair oils for the longest. I use them to combat hair dryness and they have helped me grow my hair really, really long. From chin length to the middle of my back. I have been using them for about 4 years.
blackhoney112 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blackhoney112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2007 at 3:20pm
I recently discovered palm oil and I have fallen in love, I now incoropate it into my dc.
Hair album
pw:Romeo
kellie7777 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kellie7777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2007 at 9:44am
what ginseng products are you referring to.
do you have an online link that i can look at it.
http://public.fotki.com/Kell1e/
Transitioning since Aug 06
Last Relaxer Apr 06
virgo78 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote virgo78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2007 at 9:53pm
Now how did I know that jojoba oil would be in the lead?LOL
SexySyn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SexySyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2007 at 9:29am
I have switched to using oil to combat different hair and skin ailments.  I have ordered natural shea butter and cocoa butter and made my own hair moisturizer. 

I have mixed shea butter, cocoa butter, vegetable glycerin, coconut oil with a few drops of peppermint oil, rosemary oil and vitamin oil and use this twice a day.  At night to wrap my hair and in the morning.  And I found it works great. Leaves my hair extremely soft and the shine last all day long.  Jamaica Mangoe and Lime products have a great oil out also.  I use a combination of stuff, but trying my best to stick to the natural things.  I also use aloe vera gel from time to time.  From my research, black hair takes oil well, but in cases where it don't, vegetable glcerin and aloe vera works wonders. 

Water soluble oil such as jojoba oil and castor oil works best because it's easily absorbed into skin and hair leaving a moisturized glow without a greasy feel.  Extra Virgin Olive Oil is also good but need to be used sparingly because it will leave a sticky heavy greasy feel behind.

HoneyCaramel_12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HoneyCaramel_12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2007 at 2:18am
Well, I've never tried any of these oils. The only hair oils I have tried are the Doo Gro oils and Wild Growth hair oil. Both have been really good for my hair growth, so they are the ones I use most often. Where do yall find these products, cause I haven't come across any of these at Sally's or Wal Mart.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blackhoney112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2007 at 7:06am
I think that's a fatty acid, not a drying alcohol. Try using a water based moisturizer and sealing it with an oil that will help retain moisture.

Originally posted by SexySyn SexySyn wrote:

I have been flipping the bottles over and reading the ingredients and staying away from petroleum and mineral oil.  Now correct me if I am wrong but I thought alcohol was something to stay away from too, but I have noticed that alot of moisturizers have cethyl alcohol in it.

I have also noticed alot of products are temporary.  I am now experiencing dry ends and no matter what I do pony baggies, no baggies, it still gets dry once the air hits it.  have you found any oil that helps obtain moisture?
Hair album

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blackhoney112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2007 at 7:10am
I got my oils from a health food store or online [/QUOTE] Fromnaturewithlove The Sage

I love WGO oil too the smell doesn't bother me, I actually like it now lol

Originally posted by HoneyCaramel_12 HoneyCaramel_12 wrote:

Well, I've nev
Well, I've never tried any of these oils. The only hair oils I have tried are the Doo Gro oils and Wild Growth hair oil. Both have been really good for my hair growth, so they are the ones I use most often. Where do yall find these products, cause I haven't come across any of these at Sally's or Wal Mart.
Hair album
chris101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2007 at 8:54pm
Currently I am using Alma Oil.
Is it possible to for me to mix Jojoba, EVOO with my Romsemary/Almond Oil Mix?

What is the best combination?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 9>
  Share Topic