Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Need Help

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
jencup View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jencup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need Help
    Posted: May 24 2005 at 9:51pm

I've just moved to the San Clemente, CA and I need to find a salon that will cut my hair the way I like it, short.  I like it short and my husband likes my hair short, but for some reason all the salons I go to don't cut it short enough.  I even go so far as to bring in pictures but the stylist never listen, they say their afraid to cut it too short.  After every cut I'm always complaining and having to have my husband fix it(they never cut the back short enough).  What is it that makes these people afraid to use clippers on my neck?  Sorry, I'm going off on a rant.  Anyway, any help would be greatly appreciated.

wannabecurly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wannabecurly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2005 at 2:56am

Hi, 

Even though currently I'm trying to grow my hair out I can feel your pain. I used to keep my hair very short and clippered in the back. I know the exact look you're probably getting from the stylist. What I used to do is look in the men's hair style book at the salon and pick out the exact cut I wanted. That way there was no question what I wanted. They'd still ask me if I was sure. I'd have a firm, yes, ready. Good luck.

Nikkipatiently waiting for the hair I dream of. 1c/m/ii
alvin8191 View Drop Down
Banned
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alvin8191 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2005 at 11:40am

I can understand the relectance to go too short. Once it's cut, they can't put it back. However once it's cut and you feel that it's not short enough tell your stylist. She or he should be happy to take a little more off. You're paying for it, and most likely leaving a tip. There's no reason to leave feeling unsatisfied. Give them a specific length or clipper guard number that you want them to use. If you are at a new salon tell them that the place that used to do your hair couldn't follow directions and that's why you've come to them. I'm sure that they will get your drift.                                  

short is good, buzzed is better, bald is best!!!
jencup View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jencup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2005 at 8:39pm

Thanks for the input.  I still would like to find a good stylist, the problem like I've said is a majority of women in SO CA love their long hair. 

I have pictures of my hair before CA and now any good places to post them so I can share them with the group?

alvin8191 View Drop Down
Banned
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alvin8191 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2005 at 8:08am
Jencup, I'm not exactly sure of your dilemma. You like short hair, your husband likes short hair. I don't see what the majority of So Cal girls loving their long hair has to do with your hair. There must be many good stylists in So Cal. Certainly some that would welcome the change of doing a short cut and work with the client to give her exactly what she's looking for. Is it that hard to find a stylist or are you feeling anxst about going against what seems to be the norm out there? It seems that a well styled short do would set you apart from the norm! Wouldn't if be cool to have one of those long haired California girls walk up to you and say "I love your hair, I've been thinking about going short,where did you get it done!"  Revisit my last post to you. Either way, I hope you find what your looking for. Best of luck to you in your seach!
short is good, buzzed is better, bald is best!!!
eKatherine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eKatherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2005 at 12:27pm
Adding to what Alvin says, I'd say you need to do what some of us longhaired girls have to do. You walk in, and before allowing them to touch your hair, you get them to agree to exactly what you want, or you walk out and find somebody else. Then, after they're done, you inspect the hair to make sure that's what they did, and if they didn't, you tell them to fix it. If they agree in advance to do it the way you want it, they should be willing to do it right.

If you get shy in the chair, perhaps you can get your husband to stand guard.

Just looking for a few good hair slaves - is that too much to ask?
jza View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2005 at 8:48pm

I have also had this happen a few times - my stylist now has super short hair as well!

I recommend checking out the websites of potential salons (most of them will have pictures of their stylists), and then pick out one of the girls who has short hair herself!!

Good luck!

Kuroneko View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kuroneko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2005 at 4:04am
That doesn't always work, though.  I felt really lucky once to find a stylist with cute short hair. . . until she immediately said how she was trying to grow hers out :-P .  Stylists who are desperately trying to grow their hair are about as eager to do short cuts as stylists in love with their very long hair :-P .
More awesome than a manatee!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic