Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Severe Chemical Damage

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
rbober View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rbober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Severe Chemical Damage
    Posted: May 31 2005 at 6:53pm

I had 1 1/2 inches of regrowth and wanted to bring the remainder of my hair to match my natural color.  My roots were light brown and the rest was dark brown almost black. My hair is long.

I went to my stylist who always cuts my hair; she totally messed up.  She was unable to match my roots so she decided to lift the color with bleach.  She left the bleach on for way too long under the hot dryer.  My hair is completely fried, falling out, distress, and will not let go of water (it took over 6 hours to air dry and felt like rubber).  I have severe chemical damage to my hair.

Unfortunately my hair is now a horrid color and gross.  She knew she messed up my hair and tried to shade it; it turned light-reddish-mud brown. I need to eventually bring it back to a decent color and revive it's health. 

What will not harm my hair at all, but bring it back to a nice color...henna, powder, anything?  I know I will need to chop off several inches of hair, but any miracles for reviving my hair?

Thanks a million,
Very Desperate

Bryan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2005 at 10:25pm
i think youre beyond help here. a good short haircut, and some deep conditioners are all thats in your future.

Edited by Bryan
learn to love what you were born with
you can do anything if you set your mindto it (just dont try this with hair,that could turn out bad)
eatgreenjello View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eatgreenjello Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2005 at 3:22pm
That's a bummer.  After her first mistake you should have taken off running.  Did you complain and get your money back?

**Hair type: 2a, which is wavy and fine.
**Color: Naturally dark brown, currently dyed reddish brown.
**Length: below shoulder length
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2005 at 7:48am
Hoping you didn't try henna.  Hair that has been bleached will turn blue green with henna, and it won't ever come out until you cut it off.

Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
angemc02 View Drop Down
Banned
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote angemc02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2005 at 12:06pm
i'm afraid thats the same thing that has happened to my hair? it just takes sooo long to grow back it will be years like 10 before my hair is the same length again  so i'm reluctant to cut it but i think i'm going to have to
rbober View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rbober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2005 at 1:35pm

Thank's for all your comments and support.  I am still very sad and depressed about my hair. It still looks horrid and I refuse to chop it all off to a pixie cut.

I cancelled the check to my "X" hairdresser and she has not returned any of my calls to settle my complaint.  I filed a complaint with the cosmetology board against her license and I am taking her to smalls claims court for damages.  It is going to take about 2 years before I have nice healthy hair again. I'm so upset, that I am trying to have her, the responsible party, pay for it. Especially, since she's ignoring me.

Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2005 at 6:54am
I feel for you.    I messed up my hair (did it my own self though) and had to cut mine off.  The best thing to do if you don't like short hair on you is wait as long as you can before cutting it off, (because if you're a "long haired person at heart", you'll hate it short and not like it for years until it grows back - if your not, then its not so bad!).  My only regret after my hair disaster was cutting off so much because it took more years than I had planned on for it to grow back.

Are you using a conditioner heavy in silicones?  That can do wonders for chemically damaged hair.  Pantene conditioner has more silicones in it than anything else I can think of (I think Redken All Soft might have a lot too).  You might have read that silicones aren't so great for long hair because eventually they give build up damage if you don't clarify to remove them periodically, but if you plan to cut the damaged parts off anyway, they will make your hair feel softer and better until you do.  I don't know if I would clarify chemically damaged hair...when mine was damaged or dyed I didn't so I have no experience with that.
Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
eKatherine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eKatherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2005 at 7:18am
Get yourself a nice wig while you're waiting.

Just looking for a few good hair slaves - is that too much to ask?
Bryan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2005 at 9:53pm
try loreal's ineral hair fixer. now gurls, ik that nothing can truly repair the hair, but this stuff fills in the damage, and makes even my horribly overprocessed hair feel like silk. you can get it at your local sally beauty supply, or you can find it online at:

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/tabou-5511/linhafi.html

heres the description from the sally website:

http://www.sallybeauty.com/shop/1215/500492

try it. youll like it. hth
learn to love what you were born with
you can do anything if you set your mindto it (just dont try this with hair,that could turn out bad)
xBeckahx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xBeckahx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2005 at 5:46am

When it comes to Pantene, stay away from it and getting your hair dyed (if you ever decide to again). A hairdresser told me that not only does the heavy ammount of silicone in it build up on your hair making it seem like its healthy when its just limp and so weighed down you can't do anything with it, BUT when you go to get your hair dyed a lighter color, an ingredient in things like Pantene Shampoos and leave in conditioners speed up the processing time, I didn't know this and told her half way through i had put in a Pantene leave in conditioner the night before, lucky she took the foils out right then otherwise i'd have white blonde streaks

Then again others might not encounter the same experience.

Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2005 at 6:47am
Is it just the shampoo and the leave in she was talking about?  I never had any problems with the pantene when I used to dye my hair, but I never used the shampoo or leave in, only the conditioner.  Silicones do build up, but if your hair is ruined to the point where its just going to get cut frequently, and doesn't shine anymore anyway, they can help it at least feel better and be more manageable in the meantime.

circus_harlot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote circus_harlot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2005 at 1:15pm

Wow, its obvious you need time to let your hair breathe. hair isnt fixable from damage but you can make it so that it will stop breaking off. i bleached my hair about 7 times in less then a month and ever hair salon i went to was SHOCKED at how healthy my hair was, and since i was going from black to.. PLATNIUM... it was hard and kept getting orange, so this past time i bleached it again when my previous bleach was only two days before and it just started to fall out in clumps and didnt stop for days until i went to a salon and got a treatment done and it almost completely stopped falling out, its called emergencee` from nexxus, its 14$ for a bottle, and doing that about every week for a month or so, your hair will be alot healthyer. it really works.

dont hack it all off, if you didnt already. i had to, and i cried for days. just be extra sensitive with it, and take special care of it and deffanitly get emergencee.

Edited by circus_harlot
circus_harlot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote circus_harlot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2005 at 1:17pm
oh, and ps... depending on hair salons that are around you, you can get a semi permanent REDKEN toner put on your hair.. which is as harmless as shampoo. it will make it all one colour, but you have to go darker because toners dont work to make your hair lighter. but that will work until your hair is healther to die it the colour you wish.
rbober View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rbober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2005 at 5:01pm

Wow! Thanks for the awesome support!

I have purchased a claw ponytail hair clip; it's real pretty and long. I use it when I go out.  I'm waiting as long as I can before I cut as much as I have to. I'll only have to go to just above shoulder length that's not as bad as I anticipated. I will try the L’Oreal ineral fixer and nexus emergency conditioners recommended.  They may spare another inch or so, and make the damaged hair softer.  I will not be coloring my hair in entirety ever again, at least until I see gray (which I shouldn’t see for another 10+ years). If I ever decide to do anything, it will only be highlights, and not until it’s all grown out and healthy.

I’ll keep you posted.  Oh, and my court date against the "x" stylist is on August 29th, I'll give you the info on that too. This picture is from right after "damage day".

jasmine2g3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jasmine2g3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2005 at 8:41pm
So one side is long and the other side is shoulder length?

My hair idol
Transitioning
Current Length:1"above bra strap-layered
Texture:3c
*~*~* Jazz*~*~*
Sharyg11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sharyg11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2005 at 11:44pm
Do stay away from pantene products, they are really bad for your hair. And it is true about the Nexuss emergencee, the stuff works wonders. There is also a hot oil treatment called Oleocap. Some beauty supplies still carry it. I remember many years ago, my aunt put hair relaxer and hair color in her hair at the same time (yes together) her hair shrank into this cottlon ball like thing, and she thought she would have to shave her head. Well someone told her to try the Oleocap and after about 3 weeks her hair was back to normal, and none of it fell out. See if you can find it. It might save you from having to chop off your hair. Good luck.
rbober View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rbober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2005 at 2:49pm

Hi there. To answer Jasmine's question about the one side being long... The entire crown of my hair is fried and about the bottom 3" of the head on my hair (the underneath portion) did not get bleached at all.  The stylist was going for that new two tone look.  So, it's not one side or the other that's different in length it's the top from the bottom.  But, more hair was bleached then not.

I have tried Loreal Hair Fixer, and it works great. I am using Kerastase products and they too work great.  I use the line for damaged hair. I highly recommend these products, because of them I will not have to chop it off....yeah!!!

I won my case in court! She tried to say it was my fault, she said that she warned me this would happen-which of course is not true, anyhow she was totally lying and the judge didn't fall for it. So I was awarded $500 for what she did.  I'm going to see if the judge will give me more $$$.  All these treatments and products aren't cheap...I'll let you know how it goes.  I'll also post a new pic soon.

Finally Happy Again,

Raquel

Sharyg11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sharyg11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2005 at 10:37pm
You go girl! I am sure from now on she will be more carefull about experimenting with people's hair. I know no amount of money in the world is worth the trouble, but at least you did something about it. Hopefully it will prevent other women from having to go through the nightmare.
eatgreenjello View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eatgreenjello Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2005 at 2:52pm
Congrats on winning in court!  You derserved to win!!!!  That's awesome.

**Hair type: 2a, which is wavy and fine.
**Color: Naturally dark brown, currently dyed reddish brown.
**Length: below shoulder length
rbober View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rbober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2005 at 11:21am

Great News Everyone!!!! I was right, the judgement of $500 for the damage the stylist caused was incorrect.  I was actually awarded the full $5000 for my case.  That is the maximum allowed in CA small claims. So, if any stylist ever damages someones hair, let it be known that they will be found guilty and have to pay for it. 

Justice has been served.  (I would pay the 5000 in a heartbeat to have my pre-damaged hair back)

Case Closed, and hair is looking much better every day now.

:)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic