Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

From dark brown to med brown hair only? Why?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 78>
Author
southerndixie17 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote southerndixie17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2005 at 2:44pm

Hi! I just joined today and in a major crisis! I went to the salon to have a body wave (something I could still brush & have volume) and she put an extremely curly perm in my hair!  Not only did she cut off a lot of the length, but it looks fried!  What can I do to get some of this curl out of my hair without ruining it? Please help!!!!

Denise
aseya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aseya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2005 at 4:16pm
Hello SouthernDixie!
If I'm remembering correctly, you're not supposed to shampoo a perm for either 48 or 72 hours after getting it done so that the curl can lock in. I remember when I was training a girl shampooed her perm client and the perm flopped almost immediatly. So maybe try that. Do you remember if the stylist told you how long to wait before shampooing?
Anyway good luck, I hope it works out for you!
Cindy2652 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cindy2652 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2005 at 8:38pm
Hi! My name is Cindy. I'm very glad to have found this site. I have fairly long blonde hair. This summer I decided to get it cut and layered, which did come out nice. Then I had a body wave. The girl used the biggest rods and left them in for less time than recommended. The perm came out beautiful, but only lasted two months. So now I just went back thinking to myself, Cindy, your last perm came out really nice so tell her to do the same thing again. Well with all the talking, and the beautician thought we could go a rod smaller, I said go ahead. Well now, it came out WAY too wavy and curly for me. I knew better than to wash it the first couple of days, but did so any way. I was so frustrated I just wanted to wash it all out. Well now I'm stuck with a head full of FRIZZ!! It's beautiful !!!! Any body got any ideas on how I can live with this until it fades away? PLEASE
HELP!!!!! Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote southerndixie17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2005 at 7:59am

Thanks for your advice - but, I did wash it as soon as I got home & still had more than enough curl - more than I originally wanted! I'm trying  to deal w/ what I paid for, but it is very hard. It is so curly, it really looks natural - but, I hate it! 

Cindy, if you want to get rid of the curl all together, you can get another perm. When you apply the first step, just get a fine tooth comb & comb through it continuously for approx. 1/2 the time specified. Then apply the neutralizer (step 2) & comb again continuously. Then rinse your hair thoroughly w/ cool water (not hot) and then use the conditioner that came w/ the perm. Believe it or not, you can even shampoo & condition yoru hair - the perm/curl will be completely gone!  Just make sure the next time you wash your hair, use a hot oil treatment & conditioner! I even bought some Infusium Treatment & my hair was extremely soft!  (I've straightened my hair before when I got a bad perm!) I'm trying not to straighten it this time, but I am very tempted!!!  Good Luck!

Denise
MillieBelle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MillieBelle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2005 at 2:58pm

Hi!

My name is Belle and I have been growing my hair out from a chin length cut since January 2004.

Currently my hair is layered and cut like Jennifer Aniston's. It is bra strap length and a light golden brown. I need help and advice on how to style my side swept bangs. I like the way Jennifer Aniston styles hers and also Hilary Duff's.

Talk to everyone soon!!

quarrelsw/curls View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quarrelsw/curls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2005 at 1:09pm

Hi all!

* Background - 44 year old single mom w/2 kids,  currently dating terrific man *

I'm Mary, and I have curly hair I've been fighting with for years.  In the past year I've taken to straightening it with a flat iron, and I generally like the straight look on me, but I've ruined my hair!  My boyfriend has encouraged me to let the hair go curly and stop torturing it, so I've been looking for ways to get it to behave without frizzing out and looking like a bird's nest. 

I think the best it looked was after we took a half hour ride in his mg roadster when I forgot my scarf - the wind wound it up in segments and blew it into great curled sections.  No way to duplicate that with a blow dryer though - and I'm trying to keep it away from heat.

I'll be looking for all the tips and tricks I can get my hands on for curly hair.  I also want to find out about not using shampoo.  A friend of mine once told me that her sister stopped using shampoo entirely and her hair looks so good now it's unbelievable.  I saw something posted about Co-washing, or washing with conditioner.  Not sure that's what she was doing, but I'm intrigued.

Hope to make some friends and learn some new tricks.

My mom never thought I was an ugly duckling.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote southerndixie17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2005 at 8:09am

Hi Mary - Welcome!

About your curls - USE a good (most good ones are expensive) shampoo & conditioner. Use Infusium Leave-In Treatment (for frizz control) also to help repair the damage. Then, towel dry your hair & use an anti-frizz serum all over your hair (I use Frizz-Ease). Depending on how long your hair is, you usually have to use about two handfuls to manage the frizz like you want.  Then pick through your hair & let it dry naturally!  DO NOT blow-dry!!!  This causes more frizz & that is what you don't want!  Try this & see if this works for you!  I have curly hair & my best friend's hair is naturally curl too. She gave me this advcie & I couldn't thank her more!!!!

Denise

Denise
MBurney218 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MBurney218 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2005 at 10:49am
hi everyone. I am a newbie.  I am here mostly because i need opinions and advice on hair care.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote southerndixie17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2005 at 12:19pm

WELCOME!!!

Tell us your problem or concern & between all of us here - we'll see if we can help or at least give some advice!

Southern Dixie

(Denise)

Denise

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MBurney218 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2005 at 12:49pm
ok here's the problem:  All my life my hair has been healthy and long (to my elbows) then one day when i was still in high school (senior year) I decided to be cute and cut it all off Halle Berry style.  Ever since then my hair has grown just down to my neck and it wont grow anymore. The back grows to my neck but the front and sides dont get any longer than my jaw line.  I know it might impossible to get it at its original length but what can i do to make all ends grow back faster?  I get my ends clipped regularly too but nothing seems to work.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote southerndixie17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2005 at 1:29pm

First of all, it is a myth that you must get your ends trimmed every 6-8 weeks for your hair to grow - wrong!  Your hair grows anyways - the only reason to trim frequent is to do away w/ split ends.  Try using "Mane & Tail" Shampoo - you can find this in Walmart!  When I cut my hair off short, I used this & my hair grew so quickly and also thickened!  Try it & see what you think!

Something else that is excellent for hair is beer!  Yes, I said beer!  NOT to drink it!! Pour it on your hair & leave for about 10-15 minutes, then wash & condition!  It helps w/ any damage!!

Denise

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MBurney218 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2005 at 1:36pm

Thanks!

Beer, huh? hmmm....might have to try that too thanks

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote southerndixie17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2005 at 1:46pm

YES, BEER!  YOU CAN DRINK & DO YOUR HAIR AT THE SAME TIME!  HA HA HA!  JUST JOKING GIRL!  MAYBE THESE WILL WORK FOR YOU. ALSO, MAKE SURE YOU TAKE VITAMINS - THEY ARE AN ESSENTIAL FOR YOUR SKIN & HAIR CARE!  TRUST ME!

Denise
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2005 at 10:32am
Welcome everyone!

Quarrelsw/curls:  Mine is straight, but my curly haired friends swear by the following, using shampoos and conditioners that don't have quite as  much silicone in them (things in the ingredients ending in 'cone).  Using a wide toothed comb to comb hair after washing, while its still wet.  Never brushing.  Using a little jojoba oil in it to tame the frizz and bring out the curl and shine.  (like a drop or two, not too much).  Many swear by the conditioner only method too.  Good luck!

Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
merci View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote merci Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2005 at 4:20pm
Hi there.

I am a 54 year old woman with very silver hair which I have never dyed. People tell me they love the colour and say they would grow their grey out too if they knew their color would look like mine... so I am ok with the colour.

BUT the texture is another story! This forum is where I have come for guidance! My hair is very wavy and dry and it needs a lot of conditioning. I usually wear it closer to my shoulders but was recently the victim of a very distracted hairdresser. (Not only is it shorter than I wanted, it is not terribly even at the bottoms either - but that is another story!)Thus, my hair is just at my neck level - which I ordinarily wouldn't mind, but since I also experience hot flashes and it is summer, my neck and my hair at my neck get damp and right now my hair is not quite long enough to keep up
sucessfully. The hair getting damp and then drying 5 times or more a day is contributing to the dryness - at least on the ends.

Any advice out there for silkier hair would be much appreciated (and any suggestions for growing hair faster of course!).

Finally, thank goodness for flatirons! Mine is my life saver especially after this last hair cut. It makes me feel like my hair is a little longer and it contributes to making it look a little better... but that can't be helping the dryness either.

Merci
dolcecasa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dolcecasa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2005 at 10:27pm
Hi Merci,
welcome! First off I have graying hair also,and also am growing it! Number one, I would have to say NO to the
flat iron! Heat is very bad for hair,but I think gray hair especially! I let mine air dry and if I must dry its on the cool setting of my blow dryer. I use Natures Gate Jojoba shampoo and the matching conditioner at the moment and love them. Sometimes I let the conditioner stay on for 10 minutes with my hair wrapped in a towel,its great. Also, try to use minimal hair products,ie,hair spray,mousse,gel,etc. All this is hard to do, but your grown out hair will thank you, just remember, less is best! IMO
Gray hair can be beatiful if treated gently!
fellow gray grower!
Dolcecasa!
dolcecasa!
dolcecasa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dolcecasa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2005 at 10:33pm
Merci,
Ps. Dont fight the texture! and, as far as sweating goes, I dont know how much that will contribute to your dryness. I have the same problem, not because of hot flashes, but my hair is nape/collar length also,and it makes me sweat at night because I cant put it up also.
what a pain eh? Hang in there, dont cut it and soon you will be able to maybee put it in ponytail with a small soft scrunchie at night!
Dolcecasa
dolcecasa!
merci View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote merci Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2005 at 1:16am
Thanks for the kind words, suggetsions and encouragement!

Merci

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MBurney218 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2005 at 8:25am

Merci, I hope everything works out for you.

I did glue in wefts the other day and they look great I guess. Instead of keeping it flat and straight the traditional way, I used my 1 inch 3 barrel crimp iron.  Now it looks great.  I do not look forward to all the sticky glue residue thats left afterwards.  Any suggestions on how to minimize that icky stuff?  Does the hair glue damage your hair? thats the last thing I want since Im trying to re grow my hair.

farewelltheme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farewelltheme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2005 at 10:51am

Hello everyone. Yay! I'm a newbie!

I'm 13 and I love hair. A few years ago, I grew out my bangs and since trimming and such, they're about shoulder length. Until about six weeks ago, I had it layered/tapered so that the longest bits were midway down my back and my bangs were about shoulder length. I cut off about six inches from the back, so not it's all more even with my bangs. Now I want to grow it back out. My hair grows pretty fast (since I cut it it's grown nearly an inch). I just need support and such on growing it back out because I have urges to cut it again.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 78>
  Share Topic