Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

From dark brown to med brown hair only? Why?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 78>
Author
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: From dark brown to med brown hair only? Why?
    Posted: June 05 2005 at 12:47pm

Hi everyone, newbies and otherwise!

Let's post our introductions in this thread (which I've made a "sticky") so that we can actually have a conversation upon your welcome.  (It seems lots of newbies post "hi" messages to which there are no or few replies, and that ain't right).

So, introduce yourself here, and tell us all a bit about your preferences, thoughts and opinions on hair -- and of course, be sure to let us know a bit about your own hair.

Edited by DaveDecker
Halo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Halo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2005 at 6:17pm

HI I just found this site thanks to Jenny.  I am in love with it.

I do not do extensions professionally.  I am a mother of three and I go to school for nursing part time.  I have also worked at different part time jobs but none of them have ever had anything to do with hair.

I have had extensions for a few years now and have tried a few different types.  I do not do them for anyone else, only on myself because I don't know what I'm doing as it is.

I started getting them because I damaged my hair bleaching it and had to cut it very short.  I have very fine thin hair that is naturally a dark blond color that I lighten. It grows very slowly and it took me about 20 years to finally get it to the length I liked while also looking healthy with blond highlights.  Then I bleached my hair myself and had to cut it all off. Very dumb and sad. I wasn't about to wait another 20 years for my own hair to grow back long so I started getting extensions.  Eventually I learned to do them on myself through trial and error.  Still I have not had any success in growing my own hair back so I am doing something wrong.  Which is why I am so glad to have found this board.

Meanwhile I have had a whole lotta fun playing with my hair over these last few years.  And I have discovered how much fun crazy colors and changing my hairstyle from short to long overnight can be.  Living in a very conservative neighborhood makes it that much more fun to confuse my neighbors.  And when I need inspiration I can go downtown into Chicago where I have seen some really amazing gorgeous creative hair extensions.

Nice to meet you all (oh and by the way my real name is Heather)  Halo is a nickname that I've given up trying to shake.

zephyr View Drop Down
Banned
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zephyr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2005 at 9:13am

hi halo,

nice to meet you...

I'm new too, and I live in the UK...

I went to the USA once, and really liked it...

would love to go back again, sometime...

http://www.nailsnsuch
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2005 at 3:36pm
Hi and welcome Halo and zephyr!  I know, halo, that you will have much fun on the extensions forum!
Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
msbabywildchild View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msbabywildchild Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2005 at 1:44pm
Hello everyone I'm wildchild and I'm a single african american mother of 3 growing my hair naturally so that I can start loccing it. I'm wearing it in 2-strand twist extensions until it's a length that I'm comfortable with. I've worn it short for 11 years and have grown tired of it. I'm hoping to get some ideas and information regarding the different ways of wearing extensions and the methods used.
Tania View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tania Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2005 at 10:14pm

Hello!

My name is Tania. I've lurked this board for quite some time mainly in the hair extensions board. I've been wearing extensions for 3 years and I'm always looking for better ways to manage and maintain my hair.

Thanks for the warm welcome Dave.

mygrain02 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mygrain02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2005 at 1:29pm

Hello everyone, I am new to this website. I figured why not give it a shot. I was searching for a site on google and came acroos this one. I am in desperate need of some health tips. You see, I play basketball and I sweat out my hair so easily and that is why I found hair extensions to be so convenient. The problem is, I have been wearing them for years now, and it has thinned my hair out and my split ends are atrocious. i just recently decided to go at least this summer possibly with out them, to give my hair a fighting chance to get healthy again. However it is a hastle because I dont have much body to it and will not hold a press. This is so frustrating for me because I want healthy hair, yet I dont seem to have the patience to work at it. This is why I joined the site. I am in desparate need of advice and guidance. i dont want to live my whole life wearing braids and artificial hair. help please!!! thank you

looking for an end result..
sassypeach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sassypeach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2005 at 1:53pm
Hello everyone! I found this website through LHCF I've been lurking there for some time because, I'm a broke college student and cannot spare 5 dollars to join for real lol. I'm tex/relaxed, not on purpose but, I actually like it, I usually wear my hair curly, but everyone once in a while I'll wear it straight. Right now I'm just now getting over some breakage I've been having mainly because, I haven't been as healthy as I was when I was in school and I've been lazy. But, I'm back on track, I'm learning to keep it simple and leave it alone! Anyway, I hope that I learn a lot from this board and get to know you all. Have a good one!
jodie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2005 at 5:06pm

hi everyone , i'm jodie from the uk, I've been looking for some thing like this for ages, I feel at home already (just by reading your posts) I have been doing hair extensions for a year now and absolutely love doing them!! I have 2 children, 5 years & 20 mths, old,( they're My World!!). I dont wear extensions any more as my hair is at a nice length now, and i'm quite happy with it at the moment, i do add clip ins when i go out just to look a bit different and am always adding the odd colour here and there, i like to have a change, but not the full head thing anymore. uh oh, my little ones awake must go! finish my intro another time

hope to speak to ypu all soon.

*jodie*
   X
SWT_BABYMILK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SWT_BABYMILK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2005 at 7:25pm

Hi My name is Malai, was looking for a site that I could get good advice from and I believe I have found it. I have been reading alot and have gained alot of knowledge. I am grateful that this site exist. Thanks to everyone and I am glad to be here.

The love you give is the love you will recieve.
Photos.yahoo.com/swt_babymilk

photos.yahoo.com/swt_babymilk
Pokahontas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pokahontas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2005 at 9:41am

Hello everyone!  This site is so great.  I love to talk about hair and learn new things.  I am new to this site as of today and I would like to tell a little about  myself.  I am a 25 year old african-american female.  I have very long, (like waist length) black hair that is naturally curly. I normally wear my hair flat ironed straight becuase it's easier but now i am wearing it curlier because I want to give it a rest and because the humidity of the summer won't allow me to go straight.  My hair always goes curly in humid or wet weather.

I used to have a relaxer like five years ago but I grew it out and I will never go back to one.  My hair has been so much healthier and grown so much longer.  When my hair is in it's curly state it looks much like Tracee Ellis Ross on the show girlfriends (Diana Ross's daughter).  Do you all know her?  My hair is so like hers except longer.  When I wear it straight it looks like Aaliyah's hair did.  I am obsessed with celebrity hair!

I love to try out new products also.  I have a lot of products that are really good if anyone is interested.  One of my favorite shampoo's is creme of nature.  I swear by that stuff.  It makes my hair so silky and easier to comb through and you don't even need a conditioner but I still use one.

Well, I'm gonna go now.  I could probably talk about this stuff all day but I guess i'll save some for later.

Paulbob View Drop Down
Banned
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paulbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2005 at 9:29pm

Hi everybody on the Hair Talk Board

My name is Paul D I am from the Northeastern part of the United States and my user-name on here is paulbob the reason why I have this user-name is because I really love any type of bob haircuts especially short bobs, lip length bob cuts and shoulder length bob cuts too and I would love to chat with anybody about my interest in bob haircuts or any thing else related to hair and thank you

ps I also LOVE LONG HAIR too

paulbob

Tricey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tricey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2005 at 12:24am
Hello everyone. I'm Trice and I am so happy to have found these hair boards. I've learned so much and can't wait to help others.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
fullxdiva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fullxdiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2005 at 8:02am

Hello my name is DaVona, I'm a soldier stationed in Korea, I think it was God intended for me to find this site. I have never seen a message board set up so structured and user friendly at the same time.

I've always had the natural skill to do hair, but due to my military obligations I've never been in one place long enough to attend school. I've only taken comprehensive classes online. However, every time I go into a hair salon, I not only get hair service, I get knowledge as well. I observe everything I see, from customer care, to styles, products, you name it, I'll even go so far as to ask a stylist questions and I take those lessons learned and store them away for future use.

I'm currently working on drafting a project thats geared to helping women in the military address hair issues and concerns that most hair magazines don't focus on. I think this site will help me reach out to others that can also help give me insight to issues and concern I may not be familiar with or completely understand. Thanks HB!   

Edited by fullxdiva
"Not Lucky Just Blessed"
Pamela85 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pamela85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2005 at 11:05am

Hi everyone,

It's great to have found this place.  I am in hair hell.  I was growing my hair out for two years.  I went to a new place for a trim since my current stylist was stagnant with my hair and it was looking limp.  I have thick, course hair.  Well this new person, I won't even call her a stylist, started to razor my hair after I told her it couldn't be razor cut.  She told me it has to do with the stylist not using a sharp razor.  Well this made my hair look like a frayed mess.  I tried having it fixed and eventually thought highlights would help.  No, they didn't.  The stylist used bleach and kept me under the dryer while she was working on a friend of hers.  My own dark hair came out bleached blonde and felt like straw.  Long story short (like my hair now) I ended up trying to correct the color and the damage.  My hair was cut down to nothing in order to grow it back out in a healthy way.  I could not tolerate the damage.  I these mistakes will never happen again.  I'm now suffering the awkward stages.  The hair looks to me awful.  My husband says it looks good and so do a lot of other people.  I know it doesn't.  It's been four weeks since the drastic cut.  I know I have a way to go.  Any advice for tolerating and getting through this?  It's made me physically and mentally sick.  I eat a lot of protein based foods, drink soy milk and take hair supplements.  I'm working on improving my sleep.  I know in a month I'll have improvement.  It's living through this nightmare.  

Thanks,

Pam

Mohair View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mohair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2005 at 4:10pm

Hi Y'all

I'm Eric from Nashville, Tennessee. I haven't been by here in a couple of weeks, so I have some catching up to do. You can find my introduction on the previous page of threads.  Basically, I enjoy doing hair and I got started by rolling and styling my girlfriends hair back years ago in High School. I hope you all find the information and support that you need here.

Take care,

Eric 

HollyKin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HollyKin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2005 at 1:14pm
Hi,

This is a great site--so many interesting people and so much info on
hair!
Jane B. Fraser's article on trendy hairstyles for my age group (over 40)
was great. It mentioned two new haircuts, the "versatile cut" and the
'dimensional shag" that sound interesting. I'd like to see what the
Versatile Cut looks like. The short-underneath, longer on top sounds like
it might fit my hair type.
Is there a link to a site or someplace on this site that has an image of
these cuts?

I'm an artist and gardener with a very casual lifestyle. I want to have a
good-looking, relatively easy care hairstyle that is not super short.

For decades I've worn my hair very short, gelled up and spiky. I am
growing it out now, but it's covering my ears, growing in weird directions,
and flipping up at the bottom. It's very thick, and it won't lie down and
be smooth. Yet it's not curly either. To flatten it a bit, I have to wear a hat
after I shampoo. I have an oval face, wear glasses. I think it would look
good chin length, smooth & off the face, or even tousled and textury. I
don't want puffy, frizzy hair that takes forever to control. Are there any
hairstyles for interim, growing-out periods, or is it always hell?

My hair has some layers in it. Also some gray which I've been covering,
coloring at home with Nice& Easy, which fades ASAP. I am thinking about
switching to henna, to reduce toxins and ---possibly? get better texture.

Before I do anything dramatic like coloring with henna, I really need a new
hairstyle.
Any ideas?

HK

Edited by HollyKin
hollykhin
MichelleD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MichelleD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2005 at 11:16pm

Hello!  I am Michelle, currently in Texas but will be moving to Michigan here in September.  My husband is in the Military and will be an Army Recruiter in Michigan.  I had a chin length bob, but cut it to a short sort of pixie cut.  I have naturally curly hair and straightened my hair everyday with a flat iron, so needless to say, I had alot of damage.  I have been reading the posts on extensions religiously this weekend and have learned alot.  I would like extensions similar to the ones that Halle Berry is wearing now.  I would like the past my shoulder and decided to get them done when we relocate to Michigan.  Any info would be greatly appreciated.  I want to grow my hair out, but everytime I cut it this short it gets hard to do, as I am always going to get it cut when the back starts to grow out. 

Michelle D

Janicebobanis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Janicebobanis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2005 at 9:10am
Hi my name is Janice.  I am so glad I found this sight.  I don't have a major problem, just a question about my color treated hair.  I plan on posting soon. 

I am a stay at home mom of 3.  Trying to decide when to go back to school and what to study? 

Thanks

Janicebobanis
Penny1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penny1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2005 at 8:22am

Hi My name is Penny

I am from currently in Maryland. I have read alot on this web site on alot of different topics and it has been very informative. I have a short layered look like Lisa Rinna and would like to get extensions. I thought GL or Hairlocs were a possiblity but after reading the comments today I just don't know. I have thick healthy hair but does not grow fast. Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks,Penny

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 78>
  Share Topic