Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

My hair is orange!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
jakej View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jakej Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My hair is orange!
    Posted: June 05 2005 at 9:28pm
I decided to dye my hair blonde a couple of days ago, so i had my brother go out and get some semi-permenant blonde dye. We had one of his friends do the dying and after it was all done it looks orange. And to make it worse my brother picks up the wrong kind of hair dye. He got the permenant so now im stuck with this hair until it grows back. Is there any way to get it out? My hair color was originally brown so id like to go back to that if i could, i never expected orange hair....
eKatherine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eKatherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2005 at 9:50pm
Semipermanent color would have had no effect on your hair.

In order to color brown hair blond, you've got to lighten it, right? Box permanent dye contains a lightener that will lift the color of your hair two shades.

That's what it did. It lightened it from brown to orange.

In order to dye it blond successfully, you have to lighten it past the orange stage to the yellow stage, or even lighter. This will take bleach.

At this point you have the choice of buying bleach and trying to bleach your hair so you can dye it blond, coloring it back to a medium brown or red, or going to a salon and getting it fixed as you like it.

Just looking for a few good hair slaves - is that too much to ask?
jakej View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jakej Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2005 at 10:05pm
Well it did have the bleach and color all in one, at least thats what the box said. I thought it did both and just turned my hair orange because it was too dark to begin with.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eKatherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2005 at 10:30pm
Yes, but an all-in-one color can only bleach so much. Obviously it wasn't enough to lighten your hair to the level you needed. Everybody's different, and their hair is different, too.

If you still have the box, you should read the instructions carefully. Somewhere it says that you should run a strand test to make sure you're going to get the results you want. If you had, you could have avoided this problem by finding out before coloring your hair that orange would be the final result.

Bryan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2005 at 3:21pm
ekatherine. is that your natural hair color? it looks really amazing either way.
learn to love what you were born with
you can do anything if you set your mindto it (just dont try this with hair,that could turn out bad)
jakej View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jakej Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2005 at 6:11pm
Yes well the person who did my hair wouldnt do the strand test, even though i mentioned it. She tried to run some crap across me that by the time its done being colored the mixture wont work anymore. Anyways my hair isnt orange anymore, its more of a blonde color than before, but it still has an orange color to it a little. On another note, do people usually dye their eyebrows when their hair color is changed?
Wild-Kitty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wild-Kitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2005 at 6:59pm
it depend on how much dark are they for me i didnt dye them usually i just made them thinnier so it was suitable for the lighter colour but usually yes if they r 2 dark dye them to not look weird but not 2 light also to not look washed out
jakej View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jakej Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2005 at 7:01pm
well my eyebrows are black and my hair is blonde, so...yeah. the dye said not to use it on eyebrows though.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eKatherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2005 at 9:32pm
The point of the strand test is to mix up a little bit of the solution to test in advance, not the whole thing.

I lighten my eyebrows slightly with creme bleach, but I never dye them.

My hair is more of a natural shade than it looks in the picture. My flash wasn't working, so you've got indoor lighting illuminating it.

jakej View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jakej Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2005 at 12:51pm
Ok well i'll remember that next time I decide to get my hair colored. THe orange has gone away, dont know why, but now i have golden blonde hair. It's not as bad as i first thought, i mean i could live with it, but my eyebrows get too much attention being the exact opposite color as my hair. IF I wanted to re-dye my hair back to its normal (or as close to it as i can get) could i just go get regular black hair coloring from walmart and put it on like the blonde hair dye? Or would i have to get rid of the blonde first?
ChelseaB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChelseaB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2005 at 6:59pm
Going darker is much easier then going lighter. However you might want to wait awhile before going back to dark. Since bleaching damages hair greatly. I would just stick with the color that you have now till it grows out.
Chelsea~*
www.myspace.com/chelsea_nicole_boyd
Hair Type: 1a/1b-N-ii
jakej View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jakej Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2005 at 7:02pm
Don't really want to bring back a dead thread, but i figured it was better than making a new one. Since i dyed my hair, it seems very healthy.I really want to re-dye my hair back to black, but my mom seems set that if i dye my hair again it will all fall out. I've been using a conditioner that helps bleached hair and it did wonders, my hair is less dry and is softer than even before i dyed it! So i think that its safe to color it again, and chances are good that i'll only be getting a semi-permenant color this time since my hair is already light and doesnt need bleach. But my question is, will my hair fall out? 
Veronica F View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Veronica F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2005 at 8:02am
The answer is no. It is a common misconception that hair dye makes hair "fall out." You won't need to worry abt too much damage esp. if its a semi ur using.
jakej View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jakej Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2005 at 11:02pm
Are there any web pages that you can show me that say that? I believe you, its just nice to have something to show people who think the opposite.
Veronica F View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Veronica F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2005 at 8:43am

Hmm well i can't think of very many at the mo but maybe u could check out haircrazy.co.uk

Usually what makes hair "fall out," or break off in clumps is if its been bleached a number of times, like 5(!) or permed and then bleach and colored, or permed and bleached more than once. Those are a few worst case scenarios i can think of!!

Well if u use permanent dye w/ a high concentration of ammonia which opens up the hair shaft like feria, continuously like every month, and not only on the roots but the whole head, it will eventually start breaking and clumps of hair will fall off in the shower. However, semi-permanent has usually only 10 vol developer which deposits only it doesn't cuz nearly enough damage as something permanent like feria. Hope this provides some clarification...

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic