Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Size and Weight and Clothing

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bambilee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bambilee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Size and Weight and Clothing
    Posted: June 08 2005 at 1:57pm
I have no idea where I should put this topic but it does go under the topic of size therefore under the topic of weight.

I hate shopping for pants, its a bloody struggle to find anything local to fit my waist right! I have a 24 size waist... nothing special.
I do not know if THIS is happening to other women, but it is happening to me. I SWEAR the waist inches of sizes (ie: 0=24, 1=25) is going up! UP! I used to have to struggle and search to find a size 0 that would fit properly,(no one carried size 0 a few years back) and if I found them,t hey were a little loose, but nothing I couldn't handle, besides you can't get anything smaller!
Then came the struggle of finding that sort of waist with the length in the legs... (I'm 5'8). Alas they made a size 0 with a long leg. Boy was I happy. Again still a little to big, but not as bad as it is now. The only size 0 pants I owned were too short in the leg, and the others, way too baggy, and I don't wear them.
So back I go searching for new pants to fit me.
I found some nice jeans, wow, they had a size 0. Boy was I happy. Until I tried them on! I swear those were a bloody 2, or maybe even a 3!!! I was angry, but I bought them because I doubted if I would ever find anything here, (Canada) that cheap and in jeans!
I then had to go back again to buy dress slacks for work. Searched and searched, every shop now carries a size 0, but they are way too big. So I've come to the conclusion that the general waist size of the 0 has gone up. I really doubt that the waist is 24 inches.

Is this happening to all size of pants? Is the 3 now a 4 and a 4 now a 5? I hate it, I can't find pants, I'd have to order online, pay out hundreds of dollars just to find something I'm happy in!!!

I'm very upset. I want pants to fit me like they do other girls who are normal, nice sizes!!! ARGH!

~* Bambi Lee *~
Kuroneko View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kuroneko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2005 at 3:24am

I'm not sure what waist to hip ratio most companies think women have, but I also have a hard time finding anything that'll go around my hips that isn't baggy at the waist :-P .  My waist is generally 10-12" smaller than my hips, depending on how my body is acting.  I wonder what the usual ratio made into clothing is?  I also have problems with proportionately-sized clothing, but I'm 5'1", so my problem is in finding pants that are short enough :-( .  And don't even get me started about brands wherein the "short" jeans have a 30" inseam. . .

Anyway, do you measure yourself regularly?  You may have lost an inch or two at the waist and not noticed.  Also, sizes can vary a lot by brand, so maybe keep trying different ones until you find the one that suits you best.

More awesome than a manatee!
eKatherine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eKatherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2005 at 5:22am
Originally posted by Kuroneko Kuroneko wrote:

I also have problems with proportionately-sized clothing, but I'm 5'1", so my problem is in finding pants that are short enough :-( .  And don't even get me started about brands wherein the "short" jeans have a 30" inseam. . .

This is my big beef, too. I am average in height (5'4" is average, yes!), but sometimes petite is way too long. Lots of stores carry a very limited supply of jeans and pants in lengths other than average, which seems to be designed for women who are 5'10" nowadays.

It's hard to find clothes that fit your waist because women come in more than one shape (straight up and down, hourglass, inbetween), and manufacturers treat us as one shape fits all.

Just looking for a few good hair slaves - is that too much to ask?
Bambilee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bambilee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2005 at 10:43am
I do measure myself to see if maybe I'm just loosing something, but alas I am not. Still my waist is 24, and most 0 are suppose to be 24 in canada, and I believe a 24 waist in the states is a 2.
 And yes most brands have diffrent sizes, I've searched most of my teenage life for right sized pants and came to rely on Le'Cheatue's clothing (always size 0's) for clothing but they changed their sizes and their waist heights aswell. The woman at the shop told me they are going European, So waists are going up girls. UP! (low riders aren't going to be in pretty soon!)
More of the expensive brands 0's are snugger, but Silver and all those don't really make dress pants, which I have found out I will need in most any job I try to accuquire! And to find those to fit again, I will have to be paying 100's of dollars.

I don't really have the long leg problem, usually it's too short.

At least you two can hem your pants? (sept jeans would be hard I can see.)

~* Bambi Lee *~
eKatherine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eKatherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2005 at 2:39pm
I don't like to have to remake clothes because they are designed to fit some highly atypical model, rather than an average woman. I just don't buy clothes like that. I figure if they wanted my business, they would treat me with the same respect as men, and sell women's pants in a realistic range of sizes and shapes, instead of expecting me to alter everything I buy.

I can't tell from what you've posted whether the pants you try on have a waist that is sized too large or too small for you. (Not that it makes that much difference, though in casual pants it's much easier to take in a tuck than to let out the waist).

Just looking for a few good hair slaves - is that too much to ask?
Bambilee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bambilee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2005 at 11:03am
size 0 is too large for me and they do not make anything smaller. That is my beef.
~* Bambi Lee *~
Bambilee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bambilee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2005 at 11:07am
that and I need the length, somewhat thankfully they started making much longer legs, with size 0, but I believe the waist size of a 0 has increased. I do not like being able to pull the waist away from mine easily. The waist must have increased 2 or more inches.
 It's annoying. I like my pants to fit snuggly not slopplily, it is also brand, but I can't afford a models wardrobe alas....

It's hard to alter waists, I don't like wearing belts because I have material that bunches up (that's how much larger the 0 is to my waist) And this isn't even my waist!!!  *(cause no one really wears their pants near thier waist anymore... hip area) it's dumb. I dunno, I just hate it. Oh well...
~* Bambi Lee *~
Tinkerbelle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinkerbelle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2005 at 11:55pm
Before I was pregnant...I found that to be a problem for me too.  I am 5'10 and even 0;s from Le Chateau (I am canadian too ) wouldn be way too big.  Know that I had a baby I am more like a size 5...I have hips and curves...so I no longer have that problem.  But I hope that you can solve your problem...I know how despairng it can be :(
Elissa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elissa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2005 at 11:58am
I do in fact think sizes have changed, the size 7/8 I wore in high school is different than the one I wear today. My waist is also 10" smaller than my hips and I have a problem getting the right fit, particularly with low-rise. Luckily, a lot of stores here in the US are starting to sell different cuts, giving them silly names (e.g. Eddie Bauer's "Bremerton vs. Vasson").

I hate belts too but I'm pretty happy that I actually need one now!
[/url]

ChelseaB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChelseaB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2005 at 7:43pm
I am 5' 8" also, and it is hell to find pants that fit good and are long enough! I am a size 3/4. I find pants that are long enough but they are to small around the waist, but fit great on the leg. Then Visa Versa. Why can't they make Long jeans in my size? The only place I have found some is American Eagle.
Chelsea~*
www.myspace.com/chelsea_nicole_boyd
Hair Type: 1a/1b-N-ii
brittney4824 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brittney4824 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2006 at 5:02am
My sister has the same problem shes around 5'7 ish and she shops online too.Money is an issue so the best thing we were able to find is to look online for england or france bast stores usaully cheaper and they actually fit! Good luck.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic