Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Favorite books

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Skzz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skzz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Favorite books
    Posted: June 09 2005 at 7:19am

Hey all, I've been looking for some good books to read. I really love historical-fiction novels and documentaries. I just finished reading Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver and I recommend it! What are your favorite books?

Viktoria View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Viktoria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2005 at 12:49pm

Hi Skzz! I would recommend to you anything by Umberto Eco, his books are a feast of imagination, history and intelligence! I also recommend Alexandar Hemon´s "The question of Bruno" and if you can find The Christmas oratorio : a novel / by Göran Tunström, well, then you´re in luck!

Happy read!

The more you complain, the longer God lets you live.
Beautifulinblue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beautifulinblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2005 at 7:29pm

I dont know if its your taste, because alot of people dont enjoy her stories, but I personally think Jackie Collins has some terrific books. I just finished reading Rock Star and I loved it every minute of it.

The World is Full of Married Men by Jackie is also a great book.

I also like Danielle Steel- The Long Road Home, Bittersweet and Vanished.

Pain is inevitable; Suffering is optional
KingJames23 View Drop Down
360 Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KingJames23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2005 at 4:26pm
as you like it by shakespeare is a good book its nothing but drama
B.M.F PIMPIN WE NOT A SQUAD WE A MOVEMENT.
fatmoogas View Drop Down
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatmoogas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2005 at 5:39am
I second the opinion about Umberto Eco. Loved "The Name of the Rose."
Skzz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skzz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2005 at 10:42am
Wow, thanks for the replies. I'll start looking into those titles.
fatmoogas View Drop Down
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatmoogas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2005 at 3:20pm
Agatha Christie?
romsky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote romsky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2005 at 4:46am
Why don't you guys try sidney sheldon's?
_thumbelina_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _thumbelina_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2005 at 3:13pm

I cannot believe no one has mentioned Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte. Best book ever written. Hehe I've been reading that book over and over since I was like 8 (15 now), it's such a moving story.

"I pray one prayer, I repeat it till my tongue stiffens, Catherine Earnshaw, may you not rest as long as I am living! You said I killed you, haunt me, then!... Be with me always, take any form, drive me mad, only do not leave me in this abyss, where I cannot find you!... I cannot live without my life. I cannot die without my soul."

Swooooon Heathcliff!

"You were the movie of my life, starring you instead of me"
Pampinetta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pampinetta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2005 at 3:44pm
Yeay, Wuthering Heights!! But don't forget Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë, it's really good too. And anything by Margaret Atwood, especially Alias Grace.
Kuroneko View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kuroneko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2005 at 11:59pm

Hmm. . .  pretty much anything by H.G. Wells or Jules Verne *likes classic science-fiction* . . . Dr. Jackyll and Mr. Hyde (actually a very sad story, at least the way I read it). . . The Outsiders (the book I loved best in school), Lord of the Flies (a book I loved in school and appreciated all the more, later), To Kill a Mockingbird (a book I hated in school, but came to love later). . . Peter Pan in all incarnations (including his genesis in Small White Bird, which I took out a very vintage copy of once from the library). . . I guess that's enough for now.  May post more later once some more hit me.

More awesome than a manatee!
cookie23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cookie23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2006 at 9:36am
hey you should try faye or johnaton kellerman. ive just finished flesh and blood by johnaton and loved it
cookie xoxox
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2006 at 10:10am
I loved the Dark Materials series by Philip Pullman.  Its marketed to be for adolescents, but I think that's a mistake (there are a lot of people who don't want to buy something called Dark Materials for their 12 year old).   As an adult I enjoyed the heck out of all 3 books in the series (first one is The Golden Compass).

I also love Neil Gaiman (just read Good Omens for the second time).

Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
AggiePam View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AggiePam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2006 at 10:37pm
Originally posted by Kuroneko Kuroneko wrote:

Hmm. . .  pretty much anything by H.G. Wells or Jules Verne *likes classic science-fiction* . . . Dr. Jackyll and Mr. Hyde (actually a very sad story, at least the way I read it). . . The Outsiders (the book I loved best in school), Lord of the Flies (a book I loved in school and appreciated all the more, later), To Kill a Mockingbird (a book I hated in school, but came to love later). . . Peter Pan in all incarnations (including his genesis in Small White Bird, which I took out a very vintage copy of once from the library). . . I guess that's enough for now.  May post more later once some more hit me.

Science Fiction, have you read any Orson Scott Card? He's the best.

I agree about Mockingbird- I didn't like it so much in school, but love it now. Mostly I read Young Adult fiction now (I'm a teacher becoming a librarian soon). Soooo many great authors out there. I don't know where to start. Chris Crutcher is awesome and Scott Westerfeld. But for adult novels.... My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Piccoult... a novel you won't soon forget.

Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2006 at 9:23am
I second you on Orson Scott Card!  I LOVED the Alvin Maker series.

Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
jjolove187 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjolove187 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2006 at 12:58am
Fabulosity by Kimora Lee Simmons. It's simply the best IMAO.
*~earthangel*~ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *~earthangel*~ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2006 at 11:26am
The Purpose Driven Life by Rick Warren tops my list. It makes you think.  Love It.
My Fotki

[url=http://www.pikistrips.com/clicked/24680082][/ur
mojojojo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mojojojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2006 at 9:23am
I third/fourth To Kill a Mockingbird.
--Pride and Prejudice
--Animal Farm
--Sophie Kinsella's books for light reading. Her daffy heroines are pretty funny.
--J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter series. Don't laugh. They're wonderfully witty and fun.
--High Fidelity by Nick Hornby
Cherryblsmgrl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cherryblsmgrl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2006 at 10:36am
Off the top of my head, some of my faves include:

The Lovely Bones-Alice Seabold
The Pact-Jodi Piccoult
Memoirs of a Geisha-Arthur Golden
Follow Your Bliss
miss godiva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miss godiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2007 at 11:00pm
Did I mention that I'm an obsessed harry potter fan... well i am so my book choice would be hmmmm harry potter
Also Adeline yen mah's autobiography falling leaves trust me you will get hooked and want to read anything she has written.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic