Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Something I was wondering

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AmberJune View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AmberJune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Something I was wondering
    Posted: June 09 2005 at 1:01pm

I'm not pregnant...and I don't plan to be for quite some time (I'm only 21 and not RESPONSIBLE haha) But I was talking to my hair dresser the other day...she was talking about pre-natal pills ...and how when your pregnant your hair grows faster.  Well, I said..."I've heard after you give birth...a little bit of your hair starts to fall out."  She said as long as you keep taking your prenatal vitamins for 6 months afterwords that that won't happen.  What do you all think about this...anyone have any experience with this?

*AmberJune* http://twitter.com/AmberJune01
rrobey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rrobey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2005 at 1:44pm

Unfortunately prenatals vitamins aren't what make your hair grow faster while pregnent... it's the hormones.  When I was pregnent with Zach my hair grew like a weed... so I thought it was the vitamins too.  I tried different prenatals from the store and use the dosage for a pregnent woman.  No change.  Then I read somewhere that it's the hormones.  My hair didn't grow as fast this time with Emily.  I had average growth.  Both times though my hair fell out like crazy afterwards.  It's just now starting to slow down.  It started when she was 3 months old (she's 5 months already!).  Again, I believe it's hormonal.  I still take vitamins, although not the prenatals.

Hope that helps.

Elissa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elissa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2005 at 11:18am
Yep, it's the hormones. FWIW, I never had any shedding during or after my pg'cy.   I wouldn't worry about it.
[/url]

meg77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote meg77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2006 at 2:47pm
Being pregnant twice in the past 2 years, I feel I can share a bit on this.  Yes, during pregnancy your hormones cause for your hair to be more abundant (but not necessarily to grow faster).  That is because your body is holding on to every nutrient it can to support the growing baby.  Normally you'd be losing your normal amount of hair, but in late pregnancy this process is stopped. 

3-4 months after delivery you will lose a lot of hair - this is the hair that should have been shedded during pregnancy.  Don't worry - you will not go bald! Prenatals have nothing to do with this.
julesyjul88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote julesyjul88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2006 at 4:46pm
 It is something about the protein and the hormones...the pre-natal pills probably help some,but it is highly a bad idea to keep taking them after or for someone who isnt pregnant to take them.
I took mine for only a few weeks after pregnancy and went for a check up and was told that I had way too much iron from the pre-natal pills and to stop taking them immeaditaely or I could do damage to my organs. Thing is,after the baby is born we dont need all those extra vitamins and too many can be very bad.
Just taking a normal once a day vitamin would seem like a better thing to do.

Edited by julesyjul88 - October 08 2006 at 4:46pm
Sakeenah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sakeenah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2006 at 8:23am
Thumbs%20Up

Edited by Sakeenah - October 26 2006 at 7:36pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic