Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Semi-permanent color - can I go lighter?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
jillian2388 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jillian2388 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Semi-permanent color - can I go lighter?
    Posted: June 10 2005 at 9:38am
Hi, I just found this forum and need to ask a question...
I just got my hair colored and highlighted 2 days ago and I don't like it! It is WAY too dark and harsh looking. I called the stylist back after I got home and told her I almost looked "gothic", and asked if we could put some more hightlights in to help lighten it up. I do remember her saying that she was using semi-permanent color. My question is, should I wait for a month to get it re-done all over again - base color and highlights - or can it be re-done immediately since she used semi-permanent?
Thanks for any help! Jill
Sugarloaf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarloaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2005 at 12:30pm
I'm no hairdresser, but I would have thought she could do what your are suggesting.  I wonder why she used semi-permanent color?
eKatherine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eKatherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2005 at 12:41pm
If it came out way darker than you told her to make it, she should fix it, not charge you extra to give you highlights and make the mistake tolerable.

Semipermanent should fade enough in a month to be closer to what you were looking for.

If you re trying to go darker, semipermanent was a good choice, as it causes less damage than permanent color. It doesn't cover gray well, so I do permanent.

Just looking for a few good hair slaves - is that too much to ask?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jillian2388 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2005 at 7:18pm
Thanks for replying... I have washed my hair 6 times since it was colored on Wednesday, and now it looks much better, so I think I'm going to just wait until 5 weeks to have it re-done, and then go a shade lighter. It was so harsh at first! She did tell me she was using semi-permanent because it would cause less damage. I told her I wanted to go darker, so in a way it was my fault, but then she is the professional and should have been able to tell that it would be too dark. I just wanted to know if it would be advisable to go lighter the next time after she made it so dark. I know that to go lighter you have to use peroxide, right?
eKatherine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eKatherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2005 at 7:57pm
When you see how much the dye has faded, you can decide what you need to do. You haven't told us your natural hair color, which makes a difference.

If it doesn't fade to at least as light as you want it, you'll have to remove the haircolor (probably using Colorfix). If your natural color is darker than you want your hair to be at that point, or it's not lightened enough, you'll have to use bleach to lighten it up, then tone it to the shade you want. I definitely recommend you continue to use professional services, as this sounds like a tricky transition.

Permanent haircolor has an ammonia component that lightens two shades.

Just looking for a few good hair slaves - is that too much to ask?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jillian2388 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2005 at 8:02am
My natural hair color is dark auburn. In the sun it looked really red, but otherwise I just looked like a brunette.  I started getting too much gray and starting dying it back in late 2003. I've been dying it ever since, and everyone I have gone to seems to want to make me into a blond - which I never thought suited me. This hair color is definitely darker than my natural hair color. My mom saw it yesterday, though, and said she liked it much better this way and said it made me look younger than the blond streaks I had before. I'm supposed to talk to my hair stylist today and I'm going to tell her I'm leaving it this way for now, but next time I want it a shade lighter!
eatgreenjello View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eatgreenjello Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2005 at 12:16pm

It always helps to flip through some hairstyle magazines and find the exact color you want, then show the picture to your stylist.  Stylists are visual people.  Whatever you say and explain that you want can't compete to a picture.

You were smart to wait a week before doing any more coloring.  Color always looks lighter and different after a week.  That is because of the chemicals in our water we shower with change the color.

**Hair type: 2a, which is wavy and fine.
**Color: Naturally dark brown, currently dyed reddish brown.
**Length: below shoulder length
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic