Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What’s wrong with grey hair?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sugarloaf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarloaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What’s wrong with grey hair?
    Posted: June 12 2005 at 4:38am
We've burned our bras, now let's throw the hair dye down the drain!  I'm not at all revolutionary, but I woke up recently and saw the light.  Why do we panic when we see grey hair?  It's just anothe colour, and one that has to be earned through years of experience.  At the grand old age of 49, I've decided to give up pretending I'm a brunette.  I always said I would when my eyebrows looked different to my hair colour.  Well, that time has come.  I'm now letting the white grow through and I love it.  It can't happen quick enough as far as I'm concerned!
eKatherine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eKatherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2005 at 7:09am
I'm glad for you. I always wanted to go white, but my hair has not cooperated. My mother, in her mid-eighties, still is not fully white. When I started to get gray around the edges, I looked unhealthy and tired. After I went red, everybody said how much healthier I looked, and it looks better with my complexion (freckles) than 1b ever did.

It's just not a one-size-fits-all situation.

Just looking for a few good hair slaves - is that too much to ask?
Sugarloaf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarloaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2005 at 12:19pm

I know what you mean.  If I had a choice, I would stay brown.  But my hair grows really fast and the white "slash" across the top of my head at my parting made me look bald!!  My hairdresser has put in some highlights to hide the line between the brown and white and people like them. 

My skin used to look deathly pale next to the dark brown, but now has a healthy glow.  The only thing I'm not sure about is what colour mascara to use.  I need something as my eyelashes are very fine.  Until now, I 've used black or black/brown.  I'm thinking of being very brave and buying one to match my eyes which are a kind of green colour.

SanGita View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SanGita Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2005 at 9:38pm

I've been wearing my hair grey since my early 30's. I was lucky, it came in very silver and nice. But I don't think grey hair is for everyone. Grey hair is very porous and absorbs everything in the environment. I have to use special shampoos and conditioners and dirty hair is out of the question.

I chose not to dye my hair becaues I can only wear black hair and keeping black hair is a hassle. If I wasn't olive skinned and could wear warm, blond or reddish highlights I would have. But there does come a stage when hair coloring has to stop when the amount of grey hair is overwhelming.

It's a good thing there are alot of products out there now that can maintain really sparkling grey. People often stop me on the street because they cannot believe the grey looks so vibrant. It doesn't have to yellowy and ugly. It can be attractive. Grey is not the end of the world.

Nexxus Sparkling Silver Shampoo

Phyto D'argent Shampoo

Motions Pearl Grey Conditioner

Roux Fanci Full White Minx, Silver Lining Rinses/Toners

Rene Furterer Silver Hair Conditioner

Bantu Yellow Out Conditioner.

Also, an oz of plain hydrogen peroxide mixed with shampoo can make grey sparkle. So can club soda as a final rinse.

Sugarloaf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarloaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2005 at 5:10am
Like you, my new white hair is silver and I love it.  I look in the mirror and almost will it to grow quicker.  I can't wait to get rid of the fake brown hair.  I'm looking forward to checking the shelves for "Grey" shampoos. Unfortunately, I still have to use shampoo for coloured hair as there is still so much of it and it feels horrible.  My new natural hair is much softer.  I don't seem to have the coarse problem that many silver ladies report.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic