Author
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2005 at 7:25pm
Originally posted by buzzedboblover buzzedboblover wrote:

Originally posted by LiliBeach LiliBeach wrote:

SNIP >

I also require a one month waiting period for such a drastic cut.  I hate tears in my chair, and if you cry, I will cry right with you because I love long hair, when it is properly conditioned.

Don't get me wrong, I have plenty of short hair cut people too.

Just my thoughts.....

How refreshing to hear a stylist say that they won't do spur of the moment long to short cuts, If more stylists took such an approach I think there would be more beautiful and happy women around as it seems so many stylists these days are all to eager to get shearing and chop off years of long hair growth only for the woman in the chair to end up with regrets as she has been "pushed" into a big cut all too suddenly. I mean don't get me wrong I love a good short cut as much if not more than the next person but only if

a) It is what the woman really wants and is not merely  getting to please someone else or to stop the stylist pressuring her

b) If the woman is comfortable with such a style

and last but by no means least

c) The style actually suits the woman as I have noticed especially locally there seem to be a lot of "carbon copy" styles coming out of local salons regardless of whether or not the style suits a particular woman or not, The problem I fear is locally most of the stylists train at the same college and so churn out the same styles.

I agree 100% on your 3 points.
Hellfrozeover View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2005 at 12:41pm
I agree with everything you've said in here, buzzedboblover. Alot of the comments by certain people were just downright sexist and a load of crap, pardon my French. I'm going to be pushing my zimmer frame with my long hair intact in sixty years to come.
Melantha View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2006 at 4:22pm

I'm a trichophile (hair-lover), and I have to say that this sudden trend for not only men to have super short hair, but women as well, actually repells me from them. It sounds shallow, but I can't really help the instinct. I like natural hair, and classic, simple cuts like bobs. I don't like this new trend of layering, texturing, and buzzing and spiking. I just look at those styles and think 'Ugh, why would I want to run my hands through that?'

Most people have really pretty hair--especially boys, for some reason--and I think it's a travesty when people just shear it all off. Maybe I count appearance and sex appeal as too important, but I see the body as a work of art, not a machine. This whole attitude of 'short hair is easier to take care of' makes me think that the speaker doesn't find joy in their own body.

Just my two cents.

Capt. Hook: Adventures of a Notorious Youth ~ Best book ever! Read it! ^_^V
Karen Shelton View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2006 at 4:58pm

Sorry to disappoint short hair fans but the current trend is for men to go longer.  This has started in the past 6 months.  Men are also are growing facial hair AND sideburns...for the first time in years.

Just check out the WireImage and similar photo databases to see the trend of longer hair in men.  Longer...being to the collar or below with more fullness all around on the sides and top.

And yes...in some isolated cases women are going shorter but there are still a lot of women still growing their hair longer.  I would not say that either men or women are going shorter...all of a sudden.  The trends seem to be more romantic, much longer and softer overall.

That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)
Kuroneko View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2006 at 1:08am

I think I'm pretty well the opposite there.  Long hair (especially if it's all one length) just looks and feels stringy to me, which I find very repulsive.  Long hair also has more tendency to tangle, and there's nothing less romantic than trying to run your fingers through someone's hair and running into a knot :-P !  Short hair is just much softer and nicer to me. . . okay, not spikes, those are hard and not fun to touch. . . but even spikes and other hard styles can be nice in that they're more visually interesting.  I'd just rather the hair not be hard when I go to touch it ^_^ .  But as usual, now I'm just rambling. . .

Originally posted by Melantha Melantha wrote:

I don't like this new trend of layering, texturing, and buzzing and spiking. I just look at those styles and think 'Ugh, why would I want to run my hands through that?'

More awesome than a manatee!
DarkHelmet View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2006 at 12:10am

I think the media and what we see in image and print effects both men and woman.

Those who are able to think freely without outside suggestion and influence in my opnion in the long run ( no pun intended) wind up as happier more well rounded settled people.

And that goes both ways. I think a person who finds him/ or herself more comfortable in their own skin with short hair should listen to their  own mind and not others. Just as people who prefer long hair on themselves do not feel themselves of conifdent with short hair.

I think the danger really falls in the notion that people think they are making choices in having short or long hair because they think that's what they want, when in reality they are constantly being bombarded with images in the media by popular stars and unsolicited opinions by peer's, family and co-workers. Eventaully these opinions and suggestions seep into the subconcious mind.

In those cases you see a person cutting their hair and instantly regretting it in some cases. On the other hand if a person is outside influenced subconciously to grow their hair, they will quickly learn whether or not they are doing it because that's what they really want with thier own mind or are just being subconciously programmed by others suggestions and images in the media to grow it. Because if they are just being influenced to grow their hair, after a peroid of time they will realize they arent doing it for themselves and stop and go back to the length of hsir they like for themselves the most. It only takes several seconds to cut your hair off but takes months and patience to grow yout hair out.

That is why when society and others are influencing you or suggesting you to cut you hair short it is far more dangerous to your ablity to control your own looks and actions because if you do not think things through and really want to do it for yourself you can quickly realize what you thought were your own thoughts were someone elses.

Edited by DarkHelmet
Melantha View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2006 at 12:28am

That's absolutely right, Darkhelmet.

Sorry to disappoint short hair fans but the current trend is for men to go longer.  This has started in the past 6 months.  Men are also are growing facial hair AND sideburns...for the first time in years.

Not where I live--where the heck do you live?? All I see are buzz cuts, unless I was at my high school, where the trend was more 'ooh how far can we abuse our hair??' Bleaching, self-cuts, etc. Just...it wasn't short, but it wasn't very healthy either--and therefore, not attractive. Nothing was longer than chin-length in guys, either--and now I don't see long hair at all, unless I look at my sweethearts.

Just check out the WireImage and similar photo databases to see the trend of longer hair in men.  Longer...being to the collar or below with more fullness all around on the sides and top.

Yeah...the 'I just haven't gotten a haircut in a while' look? I've seen that on a few guys, but not many at all around OC.

And yes...in some isolated cases women are going shorter but there are still a lot of women still growing their hair longer.  I would not say that either men or women are going shorter...all of a sudden.  The trends seem to be more romantic, much longer and softer overall.

I would definitely NOT describe the look as 'romantic' at all. Girls with long hair have it sixties-straight and--it seems--bleached or light brown. Or else dyed and layered weird. Longer may be the trend for girls, but it is not a 'romantic' long, it's more of a 'nineteen-sixties' long.

And again, long hair in men--truly LONG, as in all one length and below the shoulders--is not common, because if it were, I'm rather certain that my boyheart wouldn't constantly get called a girl. The 'grown out' look is common in magazines and fashion, and I forgot about that (thank you for reminding me), but long hair is not in vogue among the average guy in my area--it may be different in colder climates, I don't know. That's a thing about the internet--we're all from different places, sometimes vastly different, so things that are true for, say, Chicago, are not true for LA and so on.

*hopes he didn't sound snarky*

Edited by Melantha
Capt. Hook: Adventures of a Notorious Youth ~ Best book ever! Read it! ^_^V
DesertDavid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2006 at 3:01pm
Before we got married ten years ago, my wife and I wrote a prenuptial agreement that included a provision that my wife, Beeper, would not ever cut her hair. She is a person of great integrity and has kept her promise, and we are very happily married.  You can view her on her website at www.beeperchick.com.  
Kuroneko View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2006 at 4:35am

Does she get to make demands of your appearance in return, or does it just go one way?

More awesome than a manatee!
Hellfrozeover View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2006 at 4:56am

I'd make a prenup that husband is banned from going over a certain weight.

Is Beeper allowed to cut her hair as long as it's over a certain length? It looks like it's cut.

auramae View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2006 at 11:12am
This reponse reflects my personal experience as a woman, not my experience as a hairdresser.

I had typical "child of the 70's hair until I was 8 when my mother got tired of dealing with it and I got tired of crying when she tried to detangle it.  I got my first perm then, also (Toni home perm for children).

I wore my hair varying lengths of short and medium until about 25 when I let it grow and grow to see just how long I could get it.  (Bra-strap)  I then grew tired of my natural (read: not luscious) hair and went to play in the short hair sandbox for a while.

I grew my hair long specifically for my wedding because I wanted to style it in a particular way and to do that needed length.  (I ended up needing the help of a wig as well because I can grow my hair long, but I can't grow it thick!)

I got a haircut on my honeymoon.

To explain why, I will quote Julia Ormond (from memory, so forgive any minor errors) who got loads of crap when she cut her hair from long to short.  "When you are making a movie, long hair is wonderful.  It moves and catches the light and is a charachter all it's own.  Every other waking minute of the day it's a collasal PITA!"  I found that when I had long (for me) hair, I had to think about it constantly.  I had to keep accesories at hand to contain it at a moments notice.  I had to bundle it up to put the top down on my car.  I had to be precice and thorough in my daily maintenance so as not to cause breakage.  For me, it was just too much work.

I really think that there are "long-hair people" who are most comfortable with more hair and are willing to put in the effort required to maintain it.  Many others (myself included) are too dang lazy (or busy with other things).

A long-hair person has different definitions of short, medium and long than a short-hair person has. (Hence the need for a thorough consulltation including photos or illustrations.  Oops, there comes the hairdresser side of me again....)
Get Some Hairapy - a hairdresser's prescription for happiness
95chevy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2006 at 10:39pm
My wife has had five haircut in 35 years of marriage. About ever 7 years she get an itch to go from long to pixie or shoulder or what ever. She just wants a change. Cannot blame her it is her hair and her choice. She always grows it back long to cut and sell or donate her hair.Longest hair was in 1979 9'3" cut to 3" because I was away with Special Forces training and she was pregnant and had no body to help her take care of her hair so she cut it off for$1,200. Change is sexy
Bob S View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2006 at 2:00pm
      I don't attend many movies, but frankly, had Julia Ormond left her hair long, as it was in "Legends of the Fall" and "First Knight", there is no chance that I'd *ever* miss a flick of hers. Shortly after I'd seen these two films, I spotted a copy of the NYT Magazine, with a vaguely familiar face on the cover. As I lifted it from its rack, my jaw hit the floor. It was Julia O., with very short, unkempt, maybe 2 or 3" hair! It looked as if she'd cut it with a Flowbee, but someone must have thought it was hot, b/c there was a feature spread inside.
     She had cut it for another film, "Sabrina". I'll admit that her short hair looked nice styled, and the film itself was very good, but the sensuality dropoff fror me was seismic. PITA or not, I believe that her chop cost her plenty of roles in the long run. I cannot think of another actress who has ever graced the big screen as majestically as Julia did with her awesome tresses in those two magnificent films. Best, Bob

Snipette View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2007 at 4:20pm
In medievil times young maidens had long hair to show they were free and single. Married women would keep their hair covered in public so another man could not see it. The only ladies with short hair were considered prostitues.

Make of that what you will in todays times. Some say it's all changed and others say it's the same as ever.  You decide. Confused
julesyjul88 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2007 at 2:37am
Moms cut their hair short because when they are busy taking care of a baby,many dont have time to sit there and style and fuss over their hair like they used to. It is simply more practical at times to have shorter hair.
I myself remember my baby constantly pulling on my hair and ripping out clumps.In the begining you're lucky to get in a quick shower,let alone get to do anything to your hair!

I have had long and short on and off for years. I admire women who have had long hair their whole lives...But I get bored looking at the same thing everyday and sometimes just want a change.

Edited by julesyjul88 - February 10 2007 at 2:38am
mikecuts View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2007 at 8:52pm

This is a great question that I don't know if there is any one answer. My wife did it as did a many clients over the years. My wife did it because she was done dealing with it. She would have it in a pony tail almost everyday in the summer. She felt alot cooler with her hair off her neck and out of her face. One day she came into our shop with her sister for a vist and she asked me since I was not busy wolud I cut her hair short and she never went past her collar since. Thats been 18 years. As far as others I had many clients have reasons that are normal and some that are way out there. Families talke alot of time away and lots of mothers usually end up going for a care free haircut. I had many have it cut for for locks of love and I admire that. For what ever reason someone gets a short cut I am sure it's a great one.There are times I wish my wife would grow her hair. One time I refused to cut her hair short and she went to my freinds shop and did it anyway.Confused

Mike  

Edited by mikecuts - February 12 2007 at 8:55pm
Rosalie View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2007 at 2:21pm
It's just a trend. Some people will tell you it's functionality over style but most of them are really just trend whores.

Short hair looks horrid, tacky, worn out and dull on older women. It's a youthful thing.
arch94 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2007 at 3:29pm
Tell us how you really feel...
We all know what opinions are like...and I've got both!
julesyjul88 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2007 at 4:18pm
Rosalie,obviously you dont have kids yet! I have never cut my hair because I thought it was trendy. And I disagree that it looks bad on all older women. Some it actually looks quite good! 
Rosalie View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2007 at 6:00pm
What does cutting your hair short have to do with kids?

Also, if you DID cut it because it's trendy, you wouldn't admit it, more than likely. It's the only "I'm not brainwashed!" paradox.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic