FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWomen Suddenly Cutting their hair short

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
buzzedboblover View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Women Suddenly Cutting their hair short
    Posted: June 16 2005 at 10:44am

Hi,

Just wondered if any of you ladies can shead any light on this. Why do so many women get married and then suddenly decide after years to have their long hair cut short ? I know a lot of new mums do this also but I can see a practical reason for this. Any insight for me ?

Thanks.

Edited by buzzedboblover
phil View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2005 at 3:03pm

As a frequent visitor to the country I have to say that I think short hair is more prevalent in Scotland. The same applies to the North of England, particularly Yorkshire. I hate to generalise, but I have a feeling the inhabitiants more "no-nonense" approach to life may be a factor.

phil
eKatherine View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2005 at 9:12pm
In the old days, only girls cut their hair (short was bsl back then), and women grew their hair quite long. Now it is the opposite, only young women (or young, beautiful women) are considered to be acceptable candidates for long hair, and the older they get, the shorter women are supposed to keep their hair. So for women who plan to live up to society's expectations, a haircut is a rite of passage into "maturity", and failing to cut your hair is considered immature at best, and in any case a major character flaw.

According to this schema, short hair is required for older women, regardless of the condition of the hair or the success of the styling/cut, while long hair is unacceptable, regardless of how beautiful it might be in the absolute sense.

Just looking for a few good hair slaves - is that too much to ask?
duke View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2005 at 8:41am

I wish they wouldn't do that! It's partly what Katherine says, though perhaps saying long hair on an older woman is "unacceptable" is a bit too strong. It's more unconventional, I think.

Part of the reason may be that women tend to (due probably at least partly to social conditioning) like change. Some of them may keep their hair long until after the marriage, because their boyfriend may like it or she thinks he might, but then decide that, having married him, she "has" him and therefore needs not do so much to "keep him", and cut it off for the sake of change, comfort of fashion.

The big question is, how can a guy send a message to a girl that he would like her to keep it long, without offending her?

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2005 at 9:18am
Although there is overlap, perhaps a better word for me to have used was "inappropriate", and there are lots of people (mostly women) who really do feel it is inappropriate for women over a certain age to have long hair. For women who have long hair then get married, the societal messages are stronger than the ones she is getting from her husband. He is just one man, but if she wants to be accepted by women, she needs to have short hair.

Few women are willing to break these rules and grow their hair long despite disapproval of family and friends. Good luck.

Tyranna View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2005 at 12:16am
Women should really think more before doing stuff like this.

Once saw an interview with Tina Turner and the journalist asked Tina how she managed to stay looking so young compared to other women her age.  She replied that unlike herself, many women tend to alter their appearance according to what pre-conceived notion they have about their age.  Thus a woman who hits forty and cuts her hair to look like a suitable matronly bankers wife, will age herself and LOOK like a forty-year old banker's wife.

A friend of mine was blessed with lovely long thick hair with the greatest natural wave. She had it styled in a long layer cut and she had this effortless mane of hair that drew many compliments.  But all good things come to an end.  When she had her child she cut her hair.  And cut it again and again.  She went from wow to matron.  Last I saw her, it was all shoulder length again, but I really don't know if she has the discipline to grow it out again (she's expecting again).

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2005 at 10:45am
It does seem to me that on the whole Women tend to go from long to short at specific "milestones" in their lives such as Getting Married, Childbirth, Divorce, Retirement etc. There are some other women who also seem almost on a whim to suddenly have their long hair cut short for no discernable reason. I find myself wondering what triggers affect these ladies also. I think society and peer pressure do have a lot to do with it but also geography and stylist pressure seem to play a part also. Any other thoughts ?
Viktoria View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2005 at 12:08pm

Where I live, it seems to me that women have forgotten how to wear long hair in a more mature, elegant way. And I don´t see hairdressers advertising that kind of support either. It´s cut, color and blowdry, and nothing about how to tend to and wear long hair.

I find, as a middle aged woman, that wearing it loose feels comfortable for very private occasions, but if I´m going to be in public and I want to look "my age" or whatever that is, I want it in a bun or some other up-do. Maybe it´s just the lack of role models and know-how that makes women cut off their hair when they want to mark their passing to another life-fase. I mean, what´s wrong with wanting to look like a forty-year-old banker´s wife, if that´s what you are? I like to wear my age, I don´t want to look like a girl. But it´s hard to find role models.

The more you complain, the longer God lets you live.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2005 at 12:53pm
I wear my hair loose in the summer when I'm not doing yardwork. Next summer it'll be harder, as by then my hair will be longer than classic.

I'd be glad to be anybody's role model.

Viktoria View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2005 at 3:30pm

eKatherine, you are a role model! A fantastic one!

ACCOLADY View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2005 at 4:34pm

Originally posted by bob bob wrote:

It does seem to me that on the whole, women tend to go from long to short at specific "milestones" in their lives such as getting married, childbirth, divorce, retirement etc.  Any other thoughts?

Hi there,

For me, society has nothing to do with thoughts of cutting my hair in this phase of my life. I believe for many, it is hard to steer clear of the Stepford ways. In my opinion, the self-appointed upper crust society has created an unwritten book of rules we should all follow, lest we fall beneath a certain level - which mimics third grade behavior. "Eww, she's wearing white shoes at the wrong time of the year."  Please.

Geography plays a big part, I agree, though it seems the more social an area, the higher fashion choices are in priority. If I lived in Tulsa, I'd be laughed at and mimicked for my long hair at 40, yet it would not convince me to cut and get in line with the rest of them.

Personality plays a big part, too. I have a heavy flower child streak and a strong sense of independence. It would be true to say that part of my long hair is defiance.

I've made sudden cuts on a few occasions in my life, which I did regret. Once it was a longing to sport the style everyone else had. (Think Stepford) Once it was cut, I realized I was just another face in the crowd.

Another time I cut thinking I would appear more attractive with shorter hair. I ended up sad over the cut. Looking back now, I laugh, because I cut my hair for fear a man would prefer another woman with a more styled look. Today I find humor in that because if a man didn't want me due to my hairstyle, I can't imagine trying to further win his affections.

Certain events do indeed contribute, be they a phase of life, a new marriage, wanting to feel fresh and springy, etc. Much like a garden. Though I enjoy a large patch of Four O'Clocks and they smell wonderful, it would be interesting to yank ten years of root and in it's place plant a flowering shrub half the size. In comes the sunlight, new mulch is added, etc. I realize it may be an odd euphemism to compare hair and one's garden.

Control issues may also affect hair cutting decisions. Perhaps a lady lived under the thumb of a dominating man for quite some time. In the event of a divorce, a short cut would indeed serve as a statement of freedom, a new lease on life.

Who knows why women cut so suddenly. Though it would be interesting to see the results of a poll on Hair Boutique. *hint hint* The only thing is, you may have to aim the poll at those who cut a drastic amount of hair, not just a few inches.

Karen Marie

Birds of a feather flock together & then crap on your car.

If you can't be kind, at least have the decency to be vague.

Member since 2000, not reg. until 2005
fatmoogas View Drop Down
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2005 at 8:04am
As a woman gets older, men become less interested in her hair, while society's rules continue to apply. For these reasons, a woman might cut to stay in line--especially as she doesn't feel that men are too interested anymore.
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2005 at 9:01am
Originally posted by fatmoogas fatmoogas wrote:

As a woman gets older, men become less interested in her hair, while society's rules continue to apply. For these reasons, a woman might cut to stay in line--especially as she doesn't feel that men are too interested anymore.

Hi fatmoogas,

Um... can you please clarify?  I don't understand what you're saying.  Sorry I'm so dense.
fatmoogas View Drop Down
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2005 at 2:00pm
Guess I'm saying that as a woman ages and is less interested in impressing men with her looks, she is given a freedom to wear whatever hairstyle she likes--as long as she doesn't give in to the conformism of society.
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2005 at 5:36pm
Thanks for the clarification fatmoogas.  But um... I'm not sure why you qualify the freedom by saying that conformity is not one of the options.  You seem to contradict yourself.  If your "as long as..." comment were omitted, perhaps I wouldn't still be confused.
fatmoogas View Drop Down
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2005 at 5:51pm
It's an option. But obviously, anyone who takes it will be missing out on the possible diversity of hairstyle that comes with getting older.
LiliBeach View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2005 at 12:09am

The issue of older women have to cut their hair off at "x" number of age really bugs the hek out of me. 

Personally I think that LONG HAIR ADDS YOUTH!!!

I have 29 year olds tell me all the time with beautiful long hair,"I am turning 30 next year, I guess it will be time to cut it off".  I always reply with horror and first tell them "how old do you think I am" ( I have long hair half way down my back, Jessica Simpson style)

Then I tell them if that's the reason than i won't be the one doing the cutting.

I also require a one month waiting period for such a drastic cut.  I hate tears in my chair, and if you cry, I will cry right with you because I love long hair, when it is properly conditioned.

Don't get me wrong, I have plenty of short hair cut people too.

Just my thoughts.....

I am a professional Hairstylist/Haircolorist with 19 years experience. I have traveled all over the country for my advanced education. I am also a salon owner.:)........and I LOVE Redken!!!
phil View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2005 at 7:13pm
The practical response to this is: there comes a time (and this occurs at differing times for different people) when you make the decision - functionality over sexuality. In other words, "I've decided that   maintaining my sexual attraction isn't worth  the effort involved". This isn't necessarily a negative   thing, it could just mean you are happily paired-up and are content with the status quo. Ergo, short  hair is easier to maintain than long hair for older people, who generally want a less stressed life. Can you blame them. 
phil
Viktoria View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2005 at 6:52pm

Originally posted by phil phil wrote:

functionality over sexuality

Yes, this is exactly how I feel. Although, for me, it means: keep the hair long.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2005 at 1:26pm
Originally posted by LiliBeach LiliBeach wrote:

SNIP >

I also require a one month waiting period for such a drastic cut.  I hate tears in my chair, and if you cry, I will cry right with you because I love long hair, when it is properly conditioned.

Don't get me wrong, I have plenty of short hair cut people too.

Just my thoughts.....

How refreshing to hear a stylist say that they won't do spur of the moment long to short cuts, If more stylists took such an approach I think there would be more beautiful and happy women around as it seems so many stylists these days are all to eager to get shearing and chop off years of long hair growth only for the woman in the chair to end up with regrets as she has been "pushed" into a big cut all too suddenly. I mean don't get me wrong I love a good short cut as much if not more than the next person but only if

a) It is what the woman really wants and is not merely  getting to please someone else or to stop the stylist pressuring her

b) If the woman is comfortable with such a style

and last but by no means least

c) The style actually suits the woman as I have noticed especially locally there seem to be a lot of "carbon copy" styles coming out of local salons regardless of whether or not the style suits a particular woman or not, The problem I fear is locally most of the stylists train at the same college and so churn out the same styles.

Edited by buzzedboblover
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic