Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

How to tone hair?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
RoseRose View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoseRose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How to tone hair?
    Posted: June 17 2005 at 9:16pm
I understand about lightening hair - I think. Someone told me that once I lighten it I should 'tone' it.

How does one go about that?

I got some Bohyme #33 today at the local hair store but its too dark.

Thanks!
Gina E View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gina E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2005 at 10:23pm

Hey Rose:Toning eliminates or "tones" unwanted warmth or brassiness from lightening the hair. It also can be used as a stain to create the color you choose. The shade and/or level of toner you use will greatly depend on what shade your wanting. Basically, you'll need demi (or semi) permanent color and low volume, 10 will be best, developer.

Keep in mind, you need to choose a toner that will work with whatever pigment is left in the hair after you lighten it. If my memory serves me right... the last and maybe only time I lightened a weft it turned a really strange sort of none color of mud. I would definately do a strand test first.

RoseRose View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoseRose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2005 at 11:36pm
Gina, do you think it would be wise to exchange the hair that is too dark and get something that is a bit too light?

Is it easier to go darker?
TanglesRC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TanglesRC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2005 at 11:43pm

Rose- first you will need to lighten, then you May need to tone, and really, we dont exactly know the background of the hair- meaning what if any process has already ben done to it. So lightening it first can cause some damage and then if you need to tone it and dont use the right color or pigment, you  will have a big mess.

is it possible to get a color close to yours?

ps rose- did u try out the hair i sent you? i have to still find the rest .

s

Bringing beauty, one head at a time...
Syren123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Syren123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2005 at 11:49pm
Tangles! Check you out!!
Gina E View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gina E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2005 at 11:59pm
Rose: Yes, I'd return it for a lighter color. It Absolutely easier togo darker!!!
RoseRose View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoseRose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2005 at 12:46am
Tangles, I sent you a PM a week or two ago Thanking you for the hair. I tried to re-colour the tips and it looks scary. Orange red but not in a cool hip kinda way.

Its Bohyme and they dont carry a color that is close to mine. The woman at the store can order #32 but it will take up to 2 weeks. She told me that Bohyme is often back ordered.

She showed me #27 today and its light, I could get that and try to colour it?

I still have that weft of #30 which is really more of a brown that I coloured and its still more of a brown but with some red hilights.

I want to tip it this weekend, since DH puts it in and it takes a few days to get a whole head in because of the children.

Or I could get another #30, tip it, install it and go to a hair professional , ask he or she to make it 'Irish Setter Red' and see what happens.

I also have some synth to put in.

It should be easy. Someone send me some 'this install will be fine' vibes, please!

RoseRose View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoseRose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2005 at 12:48am
P.S. I would LOVE to have some Shades EQ, unfortunately dearest friend who was also a stylist until she became a geek girl married a Canadian and lives far far away.

So I dont have the hook up anymore.

Shades = best reds
marie87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marie87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2005 at 5:33am
Rose where are you located? I can get you shades. Don't lighten the hair!! It tend's to get a sticky feeling( been there done that).
FinaFina View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FinaFina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2005 at 11:18am
YES I agree - do as little as possible to the Bohyme. Return it if it's wrong. Even going darker can produce some *very* bizarre results. I 'toned' mine to a decent shade, after MANY strand tests, and even if you get it to the right shade, it *definitely* wears differently than the Bohyme that I installed "as is".
RoseRose View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoseRose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2005 at 11:19am
Michigan, aren't you nearby?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic