Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Yup. Growing it out.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
BadlyDrawnGirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BadlyDrawnGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Yup. Growing it out.
    Posted: June 20 2005 at 1:21pm

I just found this forum a day or two ago and thought I might get some good advice from you guys. :)

I'm in the process of attempting to grow out my hair for the first time in my life. My hair has never been longer than chin-length and right now it's about an inch past my chin. I'm growing it out from a very short pixie cut (close-cropped on the sides and in the back) and haven't cut it in a year - I had a trim in March just to even out my bangs with the rest of my hair, and that's about it.

With the amount that I've grown it out since my last real cut, does that sound like an average amount of growth? I have no idea how to estimate it in inches, but hopefully you'll get the idea from my descriptions. I would ideally like to someday (I wish!) have it down to about bra-strap length, although I have no idea how long it'll take me to get there. Has anyone had any good experiences with HairTopia or any other hair-growing vitamins? Are they worth my time/money? Any other good tips for me? My hair is perfectly straight and rather fine.

Thanks for your help!

eKatherine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eKatherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2005 at 2:07pm
Your hair length sounds about right for a year's growth.

Hair grows at a rate of 6" per year for most people. So measure from your ends to where you want it, and divide the inches by 6. That'll show you how long it will take.

Save your money on the vitamins and eat a balanced diet. Consider taking a multivitamin, but it shouldn't be necessary. Keep in mind that a person's rate of hair growth varies a bit due to seasons and hormones, so even if you start taking a special supplement and you were to measure a bit more hair growth, that is no indication that the growth was a result of taking that supplement.

Just looking for a few good hair slaves - is that too much to ask?
Viktoria View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Viktoria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2005 at 5:52pm

How exiting, to grow out your hair for the first time! Seems like you´re doing just fine. I also think you should save your money and just eat right, just like eKatherine says. What´s good for your body and brain is also good for your hair.

Just treat it right, wash gently, comb gently, protect it from the sun (with long hair, you´ll really notice how much of a beating hair can take), condition the ends and just enjoy. It will go faster than you think to reach BSL - you´ll see!

The more you complain, the longer God lets you live.
Elizabeth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elizabeth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2005 at 4:25am
I am also growing out my hair.I have tried to not blowdry my hair or use my flatiron to often even if it´s tempting.
ACCOLADY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACCOLADY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2005 at 8:17am

Good morning Badly and Elizabeth.

Welcome to the Long Hair Support Board!

You're sure to find many friends and much advice along the way here. It would be wonderful to accompany you along your journey to long hair.

It's great that you've chosen bra-strap length as your goal. Many set such long term goals that it becomes almost unattainable in their mind. Slowly but surely, and you'll see, it will grow. It just takes a bit of time, patience and proper care to get you there.

The most fun about growing one's hair from a short style is reaching new lengths, thus enabling the addition of hair accessories, which you'll soon find are plentiful around here. Updos, braids, twists, chignons - all the wonderful styles you'll soon be trying, I hope.

You might want to pop over to the Marketplace for a bit of shopping for hair 'toys' as we tend to call them. Here is a direct link for you:

http://mp.hairboutique.com/category.asp?CtgID=116

To the right of the page is a full menu to choose from. Once you select a category, there is a small menu to the top left of the screen which allows you to sort by price, popularity, title, and even customer ratings.

Welcome, welcome, welcome to the boards!

Birds of a feather flock together & then crap on your car.

If you can't be kind, at least have the decency to be vague.

Member since 2000, not reg. until 2005
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2005 at 8:19am
Greetings Elizabeth and BDG!

I don't blow-dry or curl or straighten or color or perm or highlight my hair.  Just wash & condition once a week, and detangle with a comb.  And look how long it got!

"Benign neglect" (a term I first heard 4 years ago on a TV talk show voiced by a woman named Sheila) definitely applies.

BDG, I'd guess your hair grows at roughly the average rate of 6 inches per year.  You can do the measurements and the math, and add time for shaping trims in the meantime.  (And when you get trims be sure to emphasize "no layers!" if you don't want them... and also emphasize your intent to grow your hair longer, ask them to trim "just the tips").  I hope this helps.
ACCOLADY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACCOLADY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2005 at 9:34am

There he goes again, driving my curiosity to look these things up. Dave, you are my morning food for thought. Keep 'em coming!

Benign neglect:

A policy or attitude of ignoring a situation instead of assuming responsibility for managing or improving it.

A phrase also used by Senator Daniel Patrick Moynihan, in his
view of the Republican presidential policy regarding the poor.

<>hm()
Birds of a feather flock together & then crap on your car.

If you can't be kind, at least have the decency to be vague.

Member since 2000, not reg. until 2005
AmberJune View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AmberJune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2005 at 11:32am
Patience is key....don't forget that!!
*AmberJune* http://twitter.com/AmberJune01
curlyhairedgirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote curlyhairedgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2005 at 6:14pm
I am trying to grow my hair out too any tips?
AnaisSatin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2005 at 1:05am

P-a-t-i-e-n-c-e cannot be stressed enough, especially if you are curly. It will be like effectively watching your braids grow. Curly hair doesn't grow straight down, so it won't look like it's growing fast. That's when updos come in real handy.

Anais

my LJ, 40 inches long
glorya_cam View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glorya_cam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2005 at 11:34pm

really, anais...now i think i know why i feel like my hair is growing sooooooooooooo slooooooooow... yah, because, i have to admit it IS curly (wavy, more likely...but just the same, it ain't straight)...

gee thanks...

i just need to practice on the PATIENCE thing...

AnaisSatin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2005 at 2:17am

(((((Glorya)))))) Hang in there!

Anais

my LJ, 40 inches long
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2005 at 5:13pm
Originally posted by curlyhairedgirl curlyhairedgirl wrote:

I am trying to grow my hair out too any tips?

Yes, a few.  (1) Read all the threads here, especially those that you think might be of help to you, (2) don't obsess, just live your life and keep your hair growth goal in the back of your mind.  Do you have a goal length you'd like to achieve?
curlyhairedgirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote curlyhairedgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2005 at 12:27pm
Yes Dave i do have a goal length i would like to achieve is bra strap length. ive been trying to grow my hair out for awhile i get a trim once in awhile since my hair gets bad at the ends but it never seems to grow. Ive been following the tips that everyone has said on this hair board i hope it helps.
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2005 at 6:18pm
Just keep taking good care of your hair and don't hesitate to share your thoughts and concerns along the way. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic