Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ponytail Help!???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Pokahontas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pokahontas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ponytail Help!???
    Posted: June 21 2005 at 7:23am
This may sound stupid but I was wondering if I could make a realistic looking ponytail using hair tracks?  I've never heard of anyone doing this, but then again I don't know much at all about hair weaves.  I was thinking maybe I could put my hair back in a bun and wrap the hair tracks around the bun and secure with bobby pins and a elastic.  Again, sorry if this sounds dumb.  I feel kinda silly writing it but if anyone can help me or knows if this can be done please let me know.
mochachip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mochachip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2005 at 7:35am
I've done this.

It takes a lot of patience and bobby pins.

I wouldn't use it as a daily solution but for a special occaision it works great and the hair is reusable for other pruposes.
Longhairdreams View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longhairdreams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2005 at 10:15am
yeah I have done this too.I've done it just pinning the rolled up wefts into the middle of where I want my ponytail.But its alot easier now that I have made clip ins again.If I just want a simple pony I add hair as I need it usually a few wefts and noone would be the wiser.
sassyhair View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sassyhair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2005 at 11:50am

Hi

I have made clip on pony tails they are easy if you want to know how let me know.

CyberMane View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CyberMane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2005 at 5:59pm
Oh yeah- without a doubt!
Only thing, I find it's too muck work if you have to do it every
single day. Pinning, wrapping, clipping...

Charlene

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longhairdreams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2005 at 6:02pm
yeah I agree charlene.Its not something I would do everyday.It can be tedious with the pinning.
kateadreena View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kateadreena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2005 at 6:04pm

When i did this i split my natural ponytail into 2, and clipped one bit out of the way

i then wrapped around the weft to the free bit of my natural hair at the bobble, pinning it in place, then took the remaining half of my natural hair and wrapped it around the base of the ponytail and bobbypinned in place, to hide the weft :D

worked great, just dont let anyone pull it!!

gsmilie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gsmilie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2005 at 10:17pm

I did a pony tail thing, and wore it for several months, almost everyday!!  This is what I did.  I toke a black piece of elastic (have meduim red/brown hair) and took a weft and folded it over. I then sewed it on my sewing machine using the zigzag stitch, to the piece of elastic. I then sewed both ends together so that it was approx. the same size (diameter) as my natural ponytail is.  I then would put my head hair into a ponytail, slip my extension tail over, grab my head hair tail, and a few strands of extension hair til and put another rubber band on that so it sat inside the extension hair tail.  This was to ensure that it would not fall off, or be pulled off.  I then took a wider ponytail holder (a knit scrunchy, but not the 80's version) and put that onto the extension pony to cover the track. 

Like I said, I wore this for several months without it ever falling off.  I did everything in it, working-out mainly, but I even slept in it a few times.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pokahontas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2005 at 11:38am

Oh wow!! This is so great!  Thanks sooo much everyone. You all gave me so many great ideas. Now I just have to find some good hair because I've never done this before.  I"m so excited. Thanks everyone for your tips. I will be trying them out soon hopefully.

That is a really creative idea gsmilie. I hope I will be able to do that.

I've been looking for hair online everyone. The best place I found was hairsisters.com.  Any advice on hair quality and web sites I can visit?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pokahontas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2005 at 11:44am

Originally posted by Longhairdreams Longhairdreams wrote:

yeah I have done this too.I've done it just pinning the rolled up wefts into the middle of where I want my ponytail.But its alot easier now that I have made clip ins again.If I just want a simple pony I add hair as I need it usually a few wefts and noone would be the wiser.

You made clip ins??  How did you do it?  That sounds like what I tried to do once but I never got it right?  So you add them to your existing pony?

See what I was trying to do was make clip in hi lites but it wasn't working.  I can't find them online to buy and it would probably be very expensive anyway so I tried to make them. Didn't work

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pokahontas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2005 at 11:46am
Originally posted by sassyhair sassyhair wrote:

Hi

I have made clip on pony tails they are easy if you want to know how let me know.

Yes, I would love to know how!  Thanks. 

mochachip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mochachip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2005 at 1:42pm
If you are willing to wrap some hair(or a scarf or whatever) around the base of the ponytail you can do super easy ponyfalls with just bulk hair and rubber bands.

What gs suggested works really well.  in between is usuing stretch lace instead of a rubber band/ponytail holder as a base.

the most primitive version is to pull all the hair through the ponytail holder.  fold the hair in half.  Now put another rubber band arond the hair to hold the folded halfs together.  you basically have a ponytail.  Check out rubberbunny's, okay crap she's gone out of business.  And I can't explain with just words how to attach this thing.  Maybe its still over on the Quinnster hairboard.  I don't what I'm going to do without that as a reference for people...

next up.  tie a slip knot of a small section of hair around either a big ponytail rubber band or stretch lace.  use a little heat or glue to hold it in place.  repeat til you have enough hair to go around your natural bun/ponytail.  on lace you just tie it in.  you have to be a little more coordinated with a ponytail holder like this.

the wefts sewn to elastic is similar.

I haven't ever put them on claws...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pokahontas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2005 at 1:59pm

Thanks mochachip! Everyone has such great ideas.  I"m gonna have to get crafty so I can try some of these.

Any idea how to make clip in hi-lites anyone?  I heard about them but can't find.  I remember Oprah was wearing them at one time and they looked nice. I'm trying to think of some sort of way to wear false hi-lites because I don't want to dye my hair but I don't think I'm creative enough.

Kalika View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kalika Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2005 at 4:36pm
Ive done it too, its a good temp solution.
mochachip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mochachip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2005 at 4:44pm
Check out Kristin's site
haircandy.net
she has clip in streaks

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longhairdreams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2005 at 4:58pm

For highlights just cut one inch peices of weft and sew to a clip.Like these.These are the ones from kristin:haircandy.net.I use these and they have worked really well.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pokahontas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2005 at 7:45am
Thanks Mochachip and Longhairdreams!  That's exactly what I'm looking for. 
Gina E View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gina E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2005 at 7:54am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic