Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

FINALLY HAVE A JOURNAL!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Grow Hair Grow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grow Hair Grow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: FINALLY HAVE A JOURNAL!!!
    Posted: June 26 2005 at 10:17am
Your hair is beautiful!!!
http://public.fotki.com/growhair/
pw: grow already
cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2005 at 5:58pm
Nice Album! I am natural in the 4's... I can't tell the difference between a b and an A. Anyways...I'm with you on the denman brush it takes out more hair than neccesary. I've tried it with conditioner....and other recommended methods. That brush is not for everyone. I onlly use a very wide tooth comb for my hair and thats only in the shower with conditioner mixed with oil on my hair.
Natural
BC May 9, 2004

SimplyAlex View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SimplyAlex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2005 at 3:51pm
You just have to know how to use it. The only time I use mine is when my hair is full of conditioner in the shower. I do this in sections though, it seems the longer my haiir gets the more sections I have to do. My brush was not hard to find I got it about a month ago at Sally's. And Im so glad I did. They have diffrent brushes which on do you have I have the D3. May I suggest Creme of Nature for a shampoo It really does what it says leaves my hair so soft. Infusium I used that when I was just beging to transition, left my hair dry a stringy.
Pokahontas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pokahontas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2005 at 12:22pm
Originally posted by Princess1 Princess1 wrote:

Thanks! ill make a trip to sallys as soon as I get paid cuz Im BROKE!!!

I think you are right. I may have gotten a little carried away with the -ol suffixes and forgot that tocopherol and panthenol are ok.. this takes a lot more research then I'd hoped. 

I have layers because of a few things.. For one, I had just grown out my bangs,and 2) ever since I got my first layers in 7th grade, it just keeps growing like that!! I think its because beauticians have just followed the pattern of my hair when they trimmed.  So before you decide to layer, make sure you don't mind always having them! I think they're great, but they make your hair look thinner than it would naturally look.  Thats not the end of the world though. 

Oh! Dont worry about too many questions at all.. The natural styles I wear are : straw sets, bantu knot sets, two strand twist/coils, twist outs,and braidouts.  For the next two years ill be wearing braids though; I won't have to go through the trouble of doing all those styles.  They are SOOO time consuming.  Especially straw sets!! I could'nt imagine having hair as long as yours, and still doing these natural styles, Pokahontas...I mean WHOA!!!

Yeah Princess, it is like whoa.  It takes a lot of time and patience but I mostly wear it flat ironed straight in winter and naturally curly in summer.  I just try to choose easy styles. I've never done the two strand twists but I did do a braid out and it just didn't work well for me for some reason.  By the second day my hair was a frizzy mess.  I was lookin like Diana Ross, not that her hair is bad, it's just too much hair out for me on a daily basis.  I think I will try it again with bigger braids.  My hair takes like a whole day to air dry when I braid it. 

Ok, I see...my bangs were growing out too and then I cut part of them again so it kinda looks layered in the front also but it's cool.  I don't think I will get the rest layered though.  I have a bad feeling about that.

sakura07 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sakura07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2005 at 8:17am

Princess, If you are worried about the acohol in infusium 23 you can always dilute it a little, just pour some of it out, and add water. Don't forget to shake well before each use if you dilute it.

Your hair is really wonderful. I'm glad you are on your way to finding a regime that suits you. I am partical follower of the crown and glory techique. I wish you well on your hair journey

Princess1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Princess1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2005 at 4:24am

Thanks! ill make a trip to sallys as soon as I get paid cuz Im BROKE!!!

I think you are right. I may have gotten a little carried away with the -ol suffixes and forgot that tocopherol and panthenol are ok.. this takes a lot more research then I'd hoped. 

I have layers because of a few things.. For one, I had just grown out my bangs,and 2) ever since I got my first layers in 7th grade, it just keeps growing like that!! I think its because beauticians have just followed the pattern of my hair when they trimmed.  So before you decide to layer, make sure you don't mind always having them! I think they're great, but they make your hair look thinner than it would naturally look.  Thats not the end of the world though. 

Oh! Dont worry about too many questions at all.. The natural styles I wear are : straw sets, bantu knot sets, two strand twist/coils, twist outs,and braidouts.  For the next two years ill be wearing braids though; I won't have to go through the trouble of doing all those styles.  They are SOOO time consuming.  Especially straw sets!! I could'nt imagine having hair as long as yours, and still doing these natural styles, Pokahontas...I mean WHOA!!!

To whom much is given, much is expected.
www.fotki.com/princess121
Honeydoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honeydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2005 at 8:06pm
I thought 'tocopherol' was another word for vitamin E??
http://public.fotki.com/Honeydoo
pw: bombay
Layla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Layla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2005 at 11:32am
All of those different alcohols aren't drying though, right? I think only alcohol and alcohol denat and stuff are drying. The others like Panthenol (Vitamin B5) aren't drying are they?

Because panthenol binds well to hair follicles, and attracts moisture from the air, it is a moisturizing agent used in shampoos and conditioners. It lubricates the hair without feeling greasy. It smoothes roughened hair surfaces, making them shiny and easier to comb.

Panthenol does not "nourish" hair. It coats it to make it slippery.

Type: 3c/4a Natural
Current Length: 6"
Goal: Healthy, tip of nose /neck/shoulder length hair.
BC: 02/08/06

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pokahontas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2005 at 7:14am

You have really nice hair.  I feel you on the hair types, I think I have several different types on my head.  Sometimes I get confused. 

Yeah, I agree with the beautician thing.  I get my mom to trim my hair cuz I don't want the hair dresser to mess me up.  Until I find one i truse I will keep getting her to do it.  The reason why I asked about the razor cut was because it looked like you have really pretty layers in your hair with lots of body but maybe it's just how you have it styled. Someone told me that razor cutting layers was the best way to do it because they fall better and I was thinking of doing it but I'm still too scared.

Thanks for the tip on the alcohol in products.  I would've never known that and I will watch out for it now.  So it sounds like you wear your hair naturally curly sometimes?  What styles do you wear?  I hope I'm not asking you too many questions.

dncamup View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dncamup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2005 at 10:31pm
I got my Denman from Sally's .
LOVE YA BUT A SISTA GOTTA GO
Princess1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Princess1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2005 at 8:35pm
Oh! Its not razor cut, by the way.  It looks like it? High five to my beautician who charged me too much for a trim I didn't really think I needed. Don't you hate when beauticians act like they know more about your hair than you do? After she ripped hair out of my scalp combing it, my frustration was heightened when I asked her what she thought my hairtype was and she said, "what do you mean by that?"
Princess1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Princess1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2005 at 8:31pm

Pokahontas, I think I have 4a/4b hair.  Its weird though because in the back left side is closer to 3b, the middle is insane and has 0 uniformity ( fros well tho).   The front is clearly 4a/4b. 

I really appreciate that advice and I think i needed to hear that.  My hair feels extremely dry right now and I don't know if its because I saturated it in curl activator yesterday or because I used infusium 23 which has several kinds of alcohol.  SIDEBAR: if I hadn't taken organic chemistry classes, I would never have known that any chemical with a -OL suffix (i.e. tocopherol, dextrol, sorbitol, copylol, etc) means that it IS an alcohol!!!

ANyway, I am really scared because Ive been trying to restore my natural texture which is not THIS dry, and even shea butter hasn't fixed it.  I think Ill slow down on the infusium and curl activator.  My hair is fine without it.  Trying not to panic about the dryness 

Oh! SimplyAlex, my cousin used a Denman brush on my hair before she flatironed it (as seen in pix) and she pulled out an unnecessary amount of hair, in my opinion.  If i stick to the crown and glory method of brushing, I should be fine, right? Where do you find denman brushes?  Are they hard to find?

Thanks!  Amerie is gorgeous to me! 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SimplyAlex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2005 at 12:46pm
You remind me of Amerie.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SimplyAlex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2005 at 12:45pm
Hey princess! Love your hair and I am glad to see another natural girl. Yeah! Have you ever tried a Denman Brush? Because it really works wonders (The D3) it lossens my curls and makes my hair light soft and fluffy. I have ten inches and I can do a bun just fine. (When I use my brush only because my hair shrinks more when I don't use it) But any way I advise you, while it is wise to take advice on products form others that not every product will work the same for you. Go on your own personal quest to find the perfect products that work great in your hair. One more bit of advice The Less Heat the Better. I have been natural for about a year and a half, I only wish my mother didn't put that mess on my head. Your hair looks great so your doing a good job so far so good luck with your journey.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pokahontas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2005 at 12:19pm
Hey Princess, great pics!  Your hair is beautiful.  I love your hair style.  Was it cut with a razor?  Since you said you wear your hair with no chemicals can I ask what type hair you have?  Mine is 3b, very curly and I have a hard time keeping it really straight like you have yours in the pics.  Anyways, keep up the great work with your hair.
Princess1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Princess1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2005 at 12:09pm

I've never gotten a relaxer because my mother had BAD experiences with chemicals and has steered her four daughters clear of any chemicals.. As far as a regimen is concerned, I don't have one yet exactly but there are things that Ive started to do inspired by this forum and the www.growafrohairlong.com website. 

I am still in search of products that best fit my hairtype,so call me obsessive, but I will spend an hour each visit to a beauty supply store reading each interesting label making sure to avoid the following:

Mineral Oil, Petroleum/Petrolatum, ALCOHOL, and any SULFATES.  There are few products that avoid all of these. 

The picture of my hair in the journal is a result of only putting heat on my hair once a month, and washing weekly with Creme of Nature and conditioning with Afro Detangler Creme and NTM lotion. 

When I shampoo, I keep my hair in plaits for optimum detangling. I also airdry in plaits.  I've started to use Cholesterol each time I shampoo because it is a light protein that will strengthen and not over harden my hair. I also use infusium 23 hair strengthener mixed with hot six oil after I towel dry. INfusium has alcohol, but I only use it because the aforementioned website advises so. 

Most of the time I wear natural styles (two strand twists, straw sets, bantu knot sets).  I would like to do what sistaslick does and protect all of my ends by wearing buns all the time.  Its a little hard to do it without a relaxer, unless I soak my hair in S-curl section by section.  But then, its a big greasy mess! 

For the next two years, I will be using the crown and glory method: braiding my hair in individuals every two months ( two weeks break in between).  I plan to start August 1st.. I want to use vitamins (hairtopia is Great but its hard to take 8 pills a day) and SURGE or MSM, whichever is better.

As you can see, my regimen needs a lot of work, but those are the basics.  Some ladies do hot oil treatments frequently and make their own products.  I will be trying that. Definately check out that website.  With all of its free advice and galleries, it is heaven sent!!

sorry so long. Thanks for the complimentst though ladies; I have felt insecure about my natural hair all my life until i found this forum.

BrownEyez2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrownEyez2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2005 at 10:03pm
Great hair! Looks nice and healthy!  You mentioned your "healthy hair regimen". What is that exactly, if you don't mind? You can't just show beautiful hair like that and not reveal your secrets!!  ~TIA

Edited by BrownEyez2
~~LIVE YOUR BEST LIFE!~~
Jesuschrist#1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jesuschrist#1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2005 at 9:14pm
WOW, Princess, ur hair looks fabulous! I have a question though, if u don't mind: Is ur hair relaxed? If so, how long did it take for your hair to grow to that length? Thanks a lot!
1 more day until next touch-up

5 more months until bra-strap length
fatmoogas View Drop Down
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatmoogas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2005 at 2:28pm
Wow...What a great journal.
Princess1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Princess1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2005 at 1:15pm
Pshaw, thanks girls!  Dont let the skin fool you though... I have lots of foundation on!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic