Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Curlaway Curl Relaxer?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
zoeb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zoeb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Curlaway Curl Relaxer?
    Posted: June 23 2005 at 2:21am

http://www.xenna.com/product_curlaway.html

Has anyone used this? How well does it work?

Edited by Administrator
Bryan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2005 at 10:01pm
looks too good to be true, prolly is
learn to love what you were born with
you can do anything if you set your mindto it (just dont try this with hair,that could turn out bad)
Veronica F View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Veronica F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2005 at 9:29am
It does, but then perhaps the real catch is the price tag!! But i would also like to know if some1 on this board has used it, and what the results were like.
TheEvilFlute View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheEvilFlute Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2005 at 10:45am

Little did you all know that the active ingredient is vinegar!

I have not use the actual product but I'm sure that it would work, since I use white vinegar on my hair for the same purpose, and it seem to be working, gradually (I love to experiment with my hair) to straighten. Vinegar should in theory have enough acidity to break the disulfide bonds in the hair, allowing for relaxation to take place. However, vinegar is a very weak acid, so this could only occur after repeated use, but it would never get your hair as straight as say a sodium hydroxide (lye) or calcium hydroxide (no-lye) relaxer without intervening with heat-syling products because keratin (the protein which hair is made of) is resistant to acids. Often, pill capsules are coated in keratin so that they do not melt in your stomach (and cause upset stomach!) but instead melt in your intestines where it is very basic.

I would agree that it is much safer however than other relaxers since vinegar is approximately the PH of healthy skin. Keep the product out of your eyes of course because vinegar can still burn mucus membranes! Like with any relaxing product, if you have an irritated scalp (i.e. dandruff, redness, etc.), you should not use it. If you normally use a creme relaxing product, do not expect the same results with a vinegar based product. The result is more along the lines of defrizzing and reduction of the curl. Creme relaxers and other relaxers (such as ammonium thioglycolate) are much stronger and deliver more dramatic and expeditious results but can be more damaging to both the hair and scalp. A Vinegar based product wouuld be more appropriate for non-afro-carribean hair types if you are wishing for straight hair in less time without excessive damage.

The vinegar will make your hair very responsive to heat and it is possible to actually blow dry your curls out with a brush and appropriate conditioning products to protect your hair from damage. (This may take some practice however.) Under normal circumstances, this would not work very well and you would end up with a poofy mess, but the vinegar in the product should modify your hair enough to make it comply with heat styling much more easily!

Here's how to do this with a blow dryer, which takes condsiderably less time than a flat iron:

After you wash and condition your hair, towel blot dry, and then add a high quality leave in conditioner, such as Zero-Frizz, Frizz-Ease, or Biosilk and massage/comb it through your hair thoroughly with your fingers. This should make your hair combable with a wide tooth comb (while it's still moist of course) into a straight configuration. Then gently brush a few times with a "prong" brush to make sure the conditioner is distrubuted to ALL of your hair. Be gentle though! Hair is fragile when it's wet. (Never brush moist hair without a quality leave-in conditioner, this never goes well. It can lead simply to poofy hair or even split ends. Don't use "bristle" brushes on curly hair because it is harder to get the brush through the hair and you risk ripping your hair, plus it puts a lot of stress on the cuticle which can damage it. Plastic "prong" brushes with smooth round tips generally work well.) If you run into a really stubborn tangle, dont force the brush through (although you shouldn't have tangles because in theory the vinegar made your hair super soft). Find it and gently work it out by hand, then comb or brush some more to make sure you have all of your hair conditioned thoroughly and completely.

Now that your hair is how you want it, start to blow dry down wards, away from the roots while brushing. But wait! Don't dry it entirely yet because it will dry unevenly and curl in the under layers.

After the top layer is mostly dry, flip all of your hair upside down. This is how you stop the underlayers from curling! With a brush gently smooth your hair straight again while continuing to blow dry downwards, blow drying away from the root in the same general location as you brush. (But do not place the dryer too close or else you can make your hair dry to quickly and cause "bubble hair" syndrome in which a water droplet inside your hair suddenly vaporizes and expands suddenly, forming a bubble and damaging the hair because the steam couldn't escape quickly enough between gaps in the scales of the cuticle.)

You will want to blow all around and brush every where so you can straighten all of your hair. Once the hair is dry where it is exposed, flip your hair back up again and then flip it to the side and continue blow drying and gently brushing away from the roots.

Once it is dry and straight on that side, flip your hair to the other side and do the same thing following the brush with the blow dryer but not getting excessively close with the hair dryer.

Finally, flip your hair back to how you had combed it originally and blow dry down wards while brushing it away from the roots. Make sure you style the back of your head too! Many people miss this and notice that they have some fuzzyness or nappyness on the back of their head. By now your hair should be dry and straight. This processed can be summarized as wash, condition, comb, brush + blow dry (flip, flip, flip, flip)

If your hair is very curly, the ends will still curl a little bit of course. But you should be surprised how much straighter you can get your hair just blow drying!

Also, an ionic dryer should make this work more easily.  However, Only a flat iron or creme relaxer could make your hair straight to the very very tips. Of course the vinegar in the product should soften any type of hair also, making heat styling easier no matter what type of hair, including afro-carribean. This is because ALL hair is made of the same basic material: keratin. (But if you do have afro-carribean hair I dont think the blow dryer method would work, but other methods of heat styling should still be a lot easier take less time than before :-D)

Anyways, this is just from my personal experience from my hair. As always, make sure to be safe with any hair product that uses acidic or basic chemicals to do things to hair. And, use quality conditioner!

-Kennieth

dude20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dude20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2005 at 4:44pm
Smells a nice green apple...The stuff doesn't DRAMATICALLY change the texture, curly/wavy to straight, but it softens it so it does work temporarily, after repeated applications....

Edited by dude20 - April 01 2013 at 6:31am
MissBeverly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MissBeverly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2005 at 4:39pm
I ordered curlaway on monday. I'll post the results when I try it. Oooh I'm
excited!!! My hair is 4b so I know not to too much will happen. I wanted
a non permanent change. I hope this is what I'm looking for.

Edited by MissBeverly
Layla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Layla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2005 at 7:56am
MissBeverly, I'll be looking out for your results. This sounds interesting if it works good for you I might try it. I'm thinking about transitioning so this might make the transition easier and when I'm finished my hair would just revert back.
Type: 3c/4a Natural
Current Length: 6"
Goal: Healthy, tip of nose /neck/shoulder length hair.
BC: 02/08/06
MissBeverly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MissBeverly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2006 at 8:26pm
This really works!! It totally loosened my curls to 3c. I was so impressed I posted a comment on their website
BestRelaxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BestRelaxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2012 at 5:55am
Curlaway seems like a acid based relaxer. For some people it loosens the curl and makes it manageable and easy to maintain.Here is a good review of this product from real users.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic