Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Color won’t take after Colorfix

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
courts_mom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote courts_mom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Color won’t take after Colorfix
    Posted: June 27 2005 at 9:40am

My 17-yr-old daughter decided to change her hair color from blonde to med. aub. brown.  She has natural light brown hair and had been coloring it for a year.  (I tried to talk her out of this but.....you know teens.)

Well, her hair ended up pretty dark w/red highlights (...like I knew it would) and she hated it.  Enter Colorfix.  We used the Colorfix exactly like the instructions only 1 time.  It took her hair back to light ash brown.  We did deep conditioning and 2 days later, she tried to go back to her orig. blonde color.  This time, the color didn't take.  Her hair remains the ash brown color.

Does anyone know why her hair won't take the blonde color?  Has she overprocessed to the point of no return?  I think she needs to leave it alone....HELP!!!

eKatherine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eKatherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2005 at 9:43am
Go to Sally's and get some protein filler. It'll help repair the cuticle so the color will take again.

Just looking for a few good hair slaves - is that too much to ask?
leia1979 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leia1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2005 at 12:13am
Overprocessing usually means that color fades.  The problem your daughter seems to have is removing that last bit of brown so she can go back to being blonde.

Sorry, I'm a little confused.  What is her natural color, blonde or light brown?  If it's naturally blonde, then try another round of colorfix first.  If it's naturally brown, has colorfix taken her back to her natural color?  If so, did you then use a permanent blonde dye and it didn't lift to blonde?  It may be that there is enough pigment left that the blonde dye can't remove it.  Color generally doesn't lift color...it works best on unprocessed hair when it comes to lifting.

To remove the last of the brown pigment, you can try colorfix again, but the odds are it won't make a difference.  A little bleach is needed to remove the pigment.  Please don't try this at home if you and she do not feel confident.  The risks with bleach are much greater than dye.

However, if you choose to do this at home, you need bleach and 20 volume developer.  The brown has to be lifted to yellow to be able to go blonde (or very pale yellow for light blonde).  Once it's yellow, the bleach needs to be rinsed out and a toner (violet-based) needs to be applied to neutralize the yellow.  She can go back to using just dye when it's time to touch up her roots, as virgin hair is much easier to lift.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote courts_mom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2005 at 11:52am

My daughter's natural hair color is light brown.  She had been coloring it blonde for about a year prior to this latest dark coloring.  The colorfix took her back to a light ash brown, I think it's pretty close to her natural hair color from a year ago.

She used a permanent blonde haircolor (Loreal) and it didn't color her hair blonde...the way it used to.  Her hair is still the light ash brown color. 

We haven't done another application of colorfix because I was worried about whether it would damage her hair. 

Thanks for the info about bleaching.  Bleaching is something I definitely wouldn't try at home as we have never worked with bleach. 

If I can put together the $$, she'll go to a professional to go back to blonde.  O/W, she may have to stay light ash brown...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote courts_mom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2005 at 12:09pm

eKatherine:

If we try the protein filler idea, would we want the neutral filler or a color?

eKatherine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eKatherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2005 at 12:54pm
I'd probably do the neutral filler. The brown didn't have any visible effect on my hair, but since you're talking about going blond, you shouldn't take a chance.

Just looking for a few good hair slaves - is that too much to ask?
chunt1023 View Drop Down
Banned
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chunt1023 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2005 at 5:03pm
you need to use a product like seventh stage by clairol to lift her blonde; you have to bleach and tone. color doesn't lift color, and even tho you used a color remover the alteration of the cuticle is still there. bleach her hair to pale yellow (do NOT bleach past pale yellow) and apply a toner (from sallys) with a blue or violet base. that will get her blonde, fast. go to goblonde.net they have great directions on how to go blonde. good luck, i hope it works out.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote courts_mom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2005 at 4:24pm

Just to let all know, we went ahead and bought the neutral protein filler and used it.  Then she colored her hair 1 more time using the same blonde color she had been using before this whole "I want to go dark" ordeal.

THIS TIME IT WORKED!! 

She is back to her blonde color and loving it.  I think she'll leave her hair alone for awhile....at least until the wild hair.

Thanks again for all the helpful comments and suggestions.  I've learned a lot from reading this board.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic