Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Can this be used to heat seal monofibre?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
shel221 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shel221 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Can this be used to heat seal monofibre?
    Posted: June 28 2005 at 1:41pm

It's a braid sealer.  Does anyone know if it can be used to heat seal monfibre? Also does anyone know anywhere that sells them at cheap prices?

kateadreena View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kateadreena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2005 at 1:47pm
yes! its similar to the tool prostyles use :)
shel221 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shel221 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2005 at 1:53pm

x

mochachip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mochachip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2005 at 2:04pm
shel, do you already have a wand for shrinkies or fusion?  I could be crazy but I tough you did fusion...
shel221 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shel221 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2005 at 2:08pm
Hi Mocha i use a glue gun for fusion although i have some wands coming soon from overseas.  Do you know if the braid sealers are cheaper or around the same price as the wands? :)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kateadreena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2005 at 2:19pm

braid sealers are $30 from dr locks i think

x

Bridget View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bridget Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2005 at 2:41pm
so you braid in the mono, and then seal it w/the sealer above? do you bend/crack the seal for removal?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kateadreena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2005 at 3:02pm

Originally posted by Bridget Bridget wrote:

so you braid in the mono, and then seal it w/the sealer above? do you bend/crack the seal for removal?

exactly..

BUT i think the braid sealers might be designed to cut the bottom of the braid, that'd be the only downfall..

i think a flat fusion wand would work perfectly to seal monofibre though :)

mochachip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mochachip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2005 at 3:44pm
I think braid sealers are designed to cut too.  Though I'm pretty sure Rae has used them carefully and sealed without cutting.

I have the flat wand from Doc's (same as amm's on shrinkies.net) and that's what I used to do my heat seals last week.  That's why I was wondering if you had one.

Only took a little finagling to figure out the technique. 

How long do normal people (ie those with the dome or prostyles gun) have to hold the gun in place to seal the bond?
metalgirl View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote metalgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2005 at 11:29pm

How long you apply heat depends on what temperature you have the gun set on.  (It has an adjustable dial)

It also depends on the size of the heat seal. 

You don't just heat it in one place, you heat and turn the seal to make sure you get all sides of it.  It's important that you turn the seal the opposite way in which you wrapped it.

And lastly, don't forget the pro stik drops (specialized spirit gum) as I find that a drop in the base really helps keep the braid from slipping.

mochachip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mochachip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2005 at 11:36pm
metalgirl.  I found I prefer 170 C for 15 secs flip it around and 15 seconds again.  That's when I get the section in my preferred size (don't know how to describe the size really).  Definitely had to go a bit longer on some of the chunkierones.  Does that compare at all?  And I used plain boring spirit gum. 

They're holding up well so far.  We'll see how they do for the long haul.

Can you explain about "turn the seal the opposite way you wrapped it"?  I've got a couple pics running through my head.
zapevaj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zapevaj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2005 at 12:54am
Yep, braid sealers can be used- even the ones that are supposed to cut. You just hit the wrap with the flat part of the inside edges of the clamp (instead of the conically-indented part where a braid to be cut would go).

As for rotating the seal- because the clamp plates are flat and the seal is round, right? So it only seals the top and bottom- you have to get the sides of the seal too. So you just rotate the gun 90" -around- the braid, like clock-hand going around a clock, and clamp again. The hot plates will hit the wrap in a different spot and cause a good even allover seal.

-Rae
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic