Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Best Product To Use With Iron

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Piscesangel7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Piscesangel7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best Product To Use With Iron
    Posted: June 29 2005 at 11:36am

Hello,

New Here!  Can anyone suggest the best product to use when straightening with an iron?  I have very curly hair and wanted to know what would be best to protect my hair and also keep it sleek and shiny when straightened?

Thank You!

Veronica F View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Veronica F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2005 at 5:00pm
Well i suggest a thermal heat protactant before using the iron, and when i flat iron i finish it off w/ a good serum for added shine and for it to feel healthy. One good serum is Biosilk by Farouk. The heat protectant i use is the spray on kind by PureOlogy but i dunno if that is THE best out there as its the only one i've used. It works well though and smells kinda nice ..its the one for protecting color as well as heat, sorry i can't remember the exact name for it though. You should go to a beauty supply and ask them which one they'd recommend!
nimar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nimar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2005 at 6:53pm
i am personally dealing with breakage due to flat iron
use and discovered that products with a silicone
base its not protecting my hair from heat . i believe
the silicone base products are for blow drying
straight not to be used with a flat iron . Anyone else
experiencing what i went through. please share your
thoughts .
Melrose View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melrose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2005 at 6:58pm
I use Citre Shine (shine mist spray laminator) $3.49 - Walmart, Target, Meijer, etc. or Straight ION anti-frizz solutions heat protection $6 - Sally Beauty. I love this stuff, it smooths and give shine to my hair. 
Sharyg11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sharyg11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2005 at 12:44pm

Do you blow dry your hair before flat iron it, or do you just use the flat iron? I have done both. When I had really long hair I would just use the flat iron because I was too lazy to blow dry all that looong hair first. But now that I've cut it to a long bob I can blow dry it first and then flat iron it which producess much better results. If you only flat iron, you need a good leave in conditioner; I use Sebastian potion 9, which does wonders for my hair. But you can use whatever works best for you. Once your hair is dry and you are ready to flat iron, you'll need a good protective serum and a flat iron spray. I use Redken heat glide for heat protection and shine, and Matrix smoothing iron spray. I used to use Biosilk silk therapy, which does work very well, however after a while it tends to dry out your hair. It does contain alot of alcohol. I found Redken heat glide and fell in love with it. Not only does it protect, adds tons of shine and smooths hair, but it is super concentrated, lasts forever and has no alcohol at all. And It is way cheaper than Biosilk silk therapy. The matrix smoothing iron spray also contains alcohol, however I've never had a problem with it drying my hair, and I've been using it for a year. You must however separate the hair into sections, spray each individual section right before flat iron it, and most important, hold the bottle several inches away, and only mist the hair with it. Otherwise you will end up with a sticky nasty mess.  Your hair should never feel wet with the spray. If it does, you have put on too much. Also if you hear the iron sizzle, you have put on too much. Do remember to deep condition, do protein treatments and trim your hair at least every 8 weeks, to keep it healthy and looking its best.

P.S.- Use The Redken smooth down line. It works great for curlie, Frizzie hair. Use the shampoo and The butter treat as a conditioner.

Edited by Sharyg11
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic