Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

* What do you ladies think........

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
BrownEyez2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrownEyez2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: * What do you ladies think........
    Posted: June 29 2005 at 2:00pm

I was in my cafe bookstore this weekend browsing thru different haircare books. I came across Shamboosie's book on hair. He has a chapter about growing out and maintaining relaxed hair. He suggests that the BEST PRODUCTS to get relaxed hair to thrive, be healthy and grow to it's longest lengths are: Nexxus Botanoil Treatment shampoo, Humectress Creme Moisturizing conditioner and Keraphix Creme Cond. for stressed hair.

According to him using these (and only these) products will get hair to thrive sooner, grow/retain length, no breakage, etc. He suggest to start- wash/cond. hair every 4 days for 1 month, then to wash/cond. weekly after that AND to do a deep cond./reconstructor every 4th week.

Now, I know we can grow our hair out w/o using these particular products. So do you think this is just a "product push" for these items or is there any truth to certain products being better for hair than others? Or maybe it's just finding what best for your hair, adapting a routine and sticking to it? I know consistency is key..........................So what do you ladies think??? 

~~LIVE YOUR BEST LIFE!~~
Jesuschrist#1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jesuschrist#1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2005 at 2:21pm
I agree with you, Browneyez. I think that since everyone's hair is different (different types, textures, etc.), it's the fact of finding what's best fit for you own hair and adapting to your own regimen. It's good to experiment with certain products, but I don't see how Shamboosie could limit a person to a few hair products. What if these products don't work at all? What if they work on someone else's hair but not on my hair? So I think it's just different strokes for different folks and u have 2 find what's best for u and shop around for your own products.
1 more day until next touch-up

5 more months until bra-strap length
Renee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Renee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2005 at 2:22pm
i alot fo relaxed ladies like nexxus products especially humectress. i also like it. its very moisturising and can be used either as a leave in, conditioner or deep codnitioner. the only thing i didnt like about it was the lack of slip but you can always add honey or oils to aid that. i also love keraphix and no matter how much i use it, my hair doesnt become overloaded with protein. ive never tried the botanoil shampoo. i think he was able to pick these products from reviews from people and might not necessarily work for everybody.
cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2005 at 5:25pm
I don't think they will  work for everyone...when I was relaxed I tried them and they didnt work for me. He could be getting paid to mention those companies in the book. I would just take the maintenance info but leave the product info behind.
Natural
BC May 9, 2004

Honeydoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honeydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2005 at 5:10pm

I read his book and went on a Nexxus craze afterwards. But, I got away from it. They are good products, but I think it depends on the person. I think my hair is softer and more manageable now than when I used Nexxus. I can think of a few products I like better. But, to each it's own.

http://public.fotki.com/Honeydoo
pw: bombay
Pokahontas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pokahontas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2005 at 5:42pm

Originally posted by Renee Renee wrote:

i alot fo relaxed ladies like nexxus products especially humectress. i also like it. its very moisturising and can be used either as a leave in, conditioner or deep codnitioner. the only thing i didnt like about it was the lack of slip but you can always add honey or oils to aid that. i also love keraphix and no matter how much i use it, my hair doesnt become overloaded with protein. ive never tried the botanoil shampoo. i think he was able to pick these products from reviews from people and might not necessarily work for everybody.

Honey?...I've never heard of that.  Do you just add it to your conditioner? I want to try that.

Layla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Layla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2005 at 8:07am
I'm about to try honey mixed in conditioner for the first time on Monday. But I forgot to ask what's the ratio of conditioner to honey?
Type: 3c/4a Natural
Current Length: 6"
Goal: Healthy, tip of nose /neck/shoulder length hair.
BC: 02/08/06
Renee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Renee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2005 at 8:31am
just add a few drops. and mix it very well. work with it. i tried using the same ratio of honey to conditioner and my hair was sooo hard. maybe four drops of honey to the size you pour in your palm. you can also try a honey rinse. i.e. a few drops of honey in like 1 cup of water and pout all over your hair as a final rinse. HTH
cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2005 at 9:22am
Usually I heat the honey to make it less sticky and more of a liquid...When I was relaxed motions worked for me... but that was only in  while I was away at school. It didn't work back in my home city.
Natural
BC May 9, 2004

Honeydoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honeydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2005 at 9:42am
I mix honey will EVOO and warm it, or I'll mix both into a mashed avocado and use it as a hair mask. It works really great and moisturizes.
http://public.fotki.com/Honeydoo
pw: bombay
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic