Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Rhinoplasty..

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Yoda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yoda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rhinoplasty..
    Posted: June 29 2005 at 9:44pm
Hello Ladies,
 Ok, I've got this little bump in the center of my nose that has been bugging me for a while now. What happend was when I was little I did a flip on a trampoline and when I came down, my knee jammed into my nose. Surprisingly, it didn't bleed nor break, thank God. But it did, however, leave a bump.
I'm thinking about having this bump removed...I guess with a rhinoplasty surgery.
I'd like to know your thoughts and opinions about it and if anyone has had this done before, I'm very interested to know the extent of the pain and all that stuff.
Thank You,
 Jessica

Edited by Yoda
eKatherine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eKatherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2005 at 10:42pm
That's ideally removed by rhinoplasty, but you need to make sure you have an expert who gets consistent results.

This is the website of a plastic surgeon who has posted really nice before-and-after pictures, and even has a tutorial on rhinoplasty.

Just looking for a few good hair slaves - is that too much to ask?
Yoda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yoda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2005 at 11:52pm
Thanks for that link eKatherine. That site is very informative.
My bump is a bit like this young lady's here...not very big, but enough to annoy me.

http://www.facialsurgery.com/BAPg2naq8khm2_plf0_nh16_hmb7. html

I'm still curious as to how much pain that would be for a minor hump like that to be removed.

Thanks again,
Jessica
Kalika View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kalika Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2005 at 12:50am

well it depends on what the bump is.  if its a calcium build up of bone then they have to chissel it out, however if it is a cartaledge buildup/displacement then they would still remove it, but I dont think it would have the same pain factor or healing time that the removal of bone would.

I myself am saving up for rhinoplasty, and i KNOW some bone is getting chissled

Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2005 at 7:24am
When I was 15, and very self conscious, I had one.  My surgeon had good before and after pictures too, but he wound up giving me a crooked nose.  Shaving off a little bump like that should be pretty minor though - especially if its not even bone there like Kalika said.  Don't get me wrong, to see me in person you probably wouldn't even notice, but in photos I look pretty lopsided (the end of my nose swings off to one side).

The pain wasn't terrible.  It's scary any time they put you under for the surgery, but that part went fine.  When I woke up I was out of it for a few hours because of pain meds (at which time they kept me in the hospital) then I went home when all of that wore off and they give you pain pills if you want them for after.  The only thing that really hurt was after a week or two when he removed a stitch inside my nose and when he put a new "cast type thing" on it after about a week or two. (If your surgery is minor, you may not even get stitches in your nose). It hurt because he squeezed my nose really hard to set it, (and he was in a pretty grumpy mood and fussing at me for saying it hurt, which didn't make me feel very comfortable either). 

So, if you get it done, go when you aren't going to be in school or anything for awhile because you'll have 2 black eyes and a cast on your face for a couple of weeks (I had mine done on summer vacation).  There won't be much that's painful though.  Interview your surgeon when you go in for the consultation and make sure he/she's NICE and you get along with them - in addition to seeing lots of his other work, and I'm sure you can avoid a crooked nose!  And ask him about the after-surgery period, if you'll have stitches that will have to be removed and how much pain you can expect.
Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
Kimberly D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimberly D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2005 at 3:49pm
Hi Yoda! I had a rhino 20 months ago, and love it. Don't know where
you're located, but I traveled across the country to Pennsylvania to see Dr.
Francis Collini. http://www.collini.com/

I had an entire package of surgeries done, spent 10 hours on the surgical
table, and I swear I felt better in recovery after all that than I did after a
breast aug in my home state. He's very skilled, and I asked for a cute
nose, and I got it. I had minimal bruising on my upper eyelids (of all
places, so I covered them up with eyeshadow), and I didn't have to have
"plugs" in my nostrils through recovery (those are a PAIN, I've heard)...
And he used stitches that dissolved for all my procedures, so I didn't have
to have anyone poking around in my nose to get them out.   My nose
didn't hurt at all, though it was pretty sensitive to touch for a few months.
His wife wrote a book, Two Girlfriends Get Real about Cosmetic (or
Plastic, can't remember) Surgery, and she works in the office with her
hubby, and everyone made me feel really comfortable. I was back at work
in 2 weeks.

Just my 2 cents, but he's great.
Yoda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yoda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2005 at 5:00pm
Thank you Susan and Kimberly for your very informative responses! 
I really appreciate that you and everyone else has taken the time to fill me on as much information as possible!
I'm still a little nervous about undergoing surgery, as it would be my first time having surgery done. But the more I look at my profile, I realize that I have a true love/hate relationship with my nose.  I think I will go through with  having it done though, just so I can put that insecurity to rest!

The only thing is that I'm going to be 18 at the end of this year (December 30th) and will be taken off of my parents insurance. So, I'd have to state something like "One side of my nasal airway is blocked (which it is sometimes, but not quite to the point of intolerance)".
Does anyone know if they would still do a minor rhinoplasty with this or what?

Thanks again,
 Jessica :)

Edited by Yoda
Kimberly D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimberly D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2005 at 9:05pm
In terms of insurance coverage? (sorry if i'm wrongly assuming you're
asking if you can get insurance to cover your rhino, but it's something we
all ask, cuz it's a chunk o' change!) The insurance companies have
wisened up to our tricks, and they'll look at the rhino procedure and ask
the doc, of the 2 hours you were working on her nose, how long did you
spend widening the nasal passage for breathing? And if he says 20
minutes, the insurance'll pay 20 minutes worth of anethesia (crud, i can
never spell that word, let alone pronounce it), 20 minutes of the
surgeon's time, etc... if you're lucky.

Don't know if the doc would say, "the entire 2 hours!" but I don't know if
I'd want a surgeon who's willing to lie like that, it's usually a red flag in
terms of his/her character.
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2005 at 2:55pm
Back when I had mine done, if you had a deviated septum, the insurance might have covered it, but I didn't so it didn't.

Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic