Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Insect Bites...Please please help me!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
linz_legrand View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote linz_legrand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Insect Bites...Please please help me!!
    Posted: July 02 2005 at 8:35pm
Hi

I was at a pool party and we spent quite a bit of time out in the dark and even though I had mosquito repelent on, I got more bites that I ever seen.  On my right leg alone I have 35 bites from my knee to my foot.  THEY ARE KILLING ME and they look terrible!  Does anyone have some voo doo cure to make them go away!?  I look like a lepar!!

Please please help me!!
- Linz
eKatherine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eKatherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2005 at 9:42pm
Try an ice pack to cool the swelling and itching.

Just looking for a few good hair slaves - is that too much to ask?
fullxdiva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fullxdiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2005 at 10:12pm

My daughter had the same exact problem, only her arms and legs were covered with bites. I used a styptic pencil, its like a chalk stick you wet it and put it on the bites. Good for minor cuts too, just wasn't working fast enough for her. Had to give her a benadryl pill to help ease the pain. I looked on line for some home remedies and here's what I found:

You can use your mind to get rid of the swelling and itching of a normal bite. Some people close their eyes and say things like, “I feel no pain,” or “I do not itch.” You may feel silly trying this the first time, but you may be amazed at the results.

You can try tea tree oil. It’s available in your local health food store, on the Internet, or by mail order. Raw garlic is one remedy some swear by. Try making a paste of baking soda and water. Put the paste on each bite. Other pastes you can use are salt and water or salt and butter.

Aloe vera gel is nature’s healing ointment. You can grow your own aloe vera or buy the gel from your local department store. If you buy an aloe vera plant, cut off a very small portion and then slice it down the middle. The gel contained inside does wonders not just for bites, but also for burns, cuts, and other skin wounds.

They too suggested, as did Katherine using a cool compress or ice pack. Hope this helps.

"Not Lucky Just Blessed"
fullxdiva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fullxdiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2005 at 10:20pm

I'm on roll, found some other products you can use right at home:

TOOTHPASTE Many people swear by ordinary toothpaste to get rid of the itch. Just rub it on the bite and leave it there, within a few minutes, the sting should be gone. Just think, a handy ready mosquito bite remedy that is always in your medicine chest. Brand doesn't seem to matter, except it should be the paste type, not the gel.

RUBBING ALCOHOL One common mosquito bite remedy is ordinary rubbing alcohol. Just dab the bite and the itch soon disappears. An added plus for this remedy is that the alcohol also disinfects the bite area. While rare, mosquito bites can become infected, especially if you scratch them.

VINEGAR A time tested mosquito bite remedy is to dab a bit of ordinary household vinegar on the bite and it should stop the itch in a few minutes. Leave the balsamic for your salads, though.

LEMON JUICE Cut a fresh lemon into wedges or slices, rub on all bites. The itch will go away almost immediately.

SOAP Take a bar of soap, a dry one, and rub it generously on the bite. Leave the residue on until bedtime and wash if off before retiring. It will help stop the itch and the swelling

HOT WATER Many people report relief from the itch almost immediately by taking a shower or bath in the hottest water possible (not so hot your burn yourself, please!). Choose the bath over the shower and add oatmeal, which is well known for soothing many different types of itches.

DEODORANT Get any type of solid or roll on type deodorant and rub it on the bite. It removes the itch almost immediately.

MEAT TENDERIZER Make a paste out of meat tenderizer and water and cover the bites. Some people use vinegar instead of water, either way, the enzymes in the tenderizer counteract the insect venom. This works for bee and wasp stings as well.

VISINE/MURINE Just squirt a few drops on the affected area and the swelling and itch are gone in a few minutes.

BANANA PEELS Some people insist that banana peels are an quick way to remove the itch from a bite. You can keep a few peels in the freezer, and rub right on the bite. Just don't go outside with the essence of the banana on your skin, mosquitoes love the taste of people who have been eating bananas.

JEWELWEED Jewelweed has long been recognized as an effective remedy against the itch caused by poison ivy, poison oak,stinging nettles, as well as insect bites, particularly mosquito bites. There are commercial salves available. If you happen to be in a wooded environment when bitten, just cut off a leaf and rub the milky juice on the bite.

CALADRYL Use Caladryl instead of Calamine. It has Benadryl for the itching.

VICK'S VAPORUB Just rub on the affected area and the swelling and itch go away immediately.

TEA TREE OIL Tea tree oil is used for a variety of skin conditions, and mosquito bites are in that list. Just dab on the affected area to find soothing relief. Tea Tree Oil is one of the most effective antiseptics and skin relief remedies you can find, for more than just mosquito bites.

"Not Lucky Just Blessed"
linz_legrand View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote linz_legrand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2005 at 11:49am
Thanks guys for your advice!
I tried the vineger one and though it burned, it actually did make the swelling and itch go down!  They are starting to heal, but I have a feeling that I'll get a whole new batch on the Forth!
Thanks again!
- Linz
fatmoogas View Drop Down
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatmoogas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2005 at 6:56am
I just ignore them and before long they go away. NEVER count them!
Melrose View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melrose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2005 at 5:25pm
I too got eaten up my the darn mosquitos.  I was watching a volley ball game at night and was attacked .  I have about 9 bites on each leg, two on my left arm, and one on both my back and right ankle.  I hate mosquitos and I'm so itching.  I'm trying really hard not to itch (don't want scars), but its really hard. I'll give these above options a try, especially when I have them around the house.  I was going to buy Rhuliu gel, which works the best out of the anti-itch cremes/gels in stores.  But I'll try your suggestions first, Thanx!
"The most wasted day of all is that during which we have not laughed." :)
fullxdiva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fullxdiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2005 at 9:30am

Originally posted by Melrose Melrose wrote:

But I'll try your suggestions first, Thanx!

I know what you mean those things can really be a pain "literally", did you try any of the home cures? And did they work for you? Just wondering. It's amazing how things we have right at home can cure the itch I wish some of those same things could be use to keep em away.

"Not Lucky Just Blessed"
Melrose View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melrose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2005 at 11:32am
I wanted to try the rubbing alcohol but I didn't have any.  So I try the vinegar and the deordorandt.  I couldn't believe it, both of them worked really well.  It works better then the Cortizone I was using. The vinegar smelled, so I put the deordorant on top.  Though the deordorant works good on its own (smells better too).  I would like to try the lemons because I love the smell of lemons.  Thank you, I'll be keeping this list for future reference.  For my bites, they are getting better and are not itching.  If they do I rub on the deordorant and it stops. 
"The most wasted day of all is that during which we have not laughed." :)
Vicky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vicky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2005 at 12:23pm
A friend of mine tried the toothpaste and it burned right through the bite.

fullxdiva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fullxdiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2005 at 6:26am

Glad the list came in handy, we are going to try the vicks vapor rub next and see if that works.

I imagine the toothpaste might work, people say it's suppose dry out pimples, but it's never worked for me.

"Not Lucky Just Blessed"
sxylisa2005 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sxylisa2005 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2005 at 9:24am
 I find that if i put some antiseptic cream on them and cover them with a plaster it helps, it shrinks the bite and even if you want to itch them you can't because the plaster is in the way!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic