Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Natural Skin Care

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Pokahontas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pokahontas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Natural Skin Care
    Posted: July 08 2005 at 1:39pm
Hey everyone.  I was just wondering if anyone was into using natural products and what they used.  I would be interested in hearing how it was used or any recipes anyone has. 
SimplyAlex View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SimplyAlex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2005 at 8:23am
I use Black Soap, Shea Butter, and Tea Tree Oil on my skin. And my skin looks the best it's looked in 2 years.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pokahontas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2005 at 8:44am
I recently started using Shea butter on my face and I like it.  I only use it at night cuz my skin is semi oily and the shea makes my face shiny.  What is Black soap?  I think I've heard of this before.  Where can it be bought?
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2005 at 8:17am
I've just been given these recipes by someone I know for a natural lotion and a natural cream. 

The cream recipe:

4 Tablespoons shea butter

½ Tablespoon grape seed oil

10 drops lavender essential oil

10 drops of tea tree oil

The lotion recipe:

4 Tablespoons aloe vera gel

1 Teaspoon Vitamin E oil

5 drops orange essential oil

2 Tablespoons Witch Hazel
2 drops lavendar essential oil
4 drops tea tree oil

I break out, that's why the tea tree oil is in it.  If you don't you could probably leave that out.  These don't prevent me from breaking out, so I still have to use over the counter stuff for that, but they do make my skin feel really nice, and don't cause any more breakouts.  As far as which essential oils are used, you could probably swap them out for any others you like the smell of.

I've only been using the lotion for a few days, so I can't speak for long term, but for now, I really love the way it smells and feels, its very light and soft, and it absorbs into the skin so it doesn't feel very greasy.  It's humid now, so I don't have too much of a dry skin problem, but wearing it in the winter will be the real test of how good it works.

The cream also stays very oily because of the shea butter, so I don't use it in the daytime, like you said.

SimplyAlex: Do you use the tea tree oil concentrated?  Does it prevent break outs?  It seems like it would if it helps in small amounts, but I didn't know if there were any dangers with using it concentrated.  The proactiv I've been using does prevent my breakouts entirely, but I'm lessening my usage of it to try to find something more natural.

Edited by Susan W
Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pokahontas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2005 at 10:02am
Originally posted by Susan W Susan W wrote:

I've just been given these recipes by someone I know for a natural lotion and a natural cream. 

The cream recipe:

4 Tablespoons shea butter

10 drops lavender essential oil

10 drops of tea tree oil

The lotion recipe:

4 Tablespoons aloe vera gel

1 Teaspoon Vitamin E oil

5 drops orange essential oil

2 Tablespoons Witch Hazel
2 drops lavendar essential oil
4 drops tea tree oil

I break out, that's why the tea tree oil is in it.  If you don't you could probably leave that out.  These don't prevent me from breaking out, so I still have to use over the counter stuff for that, but they do make my skin feel really nice, and don't cause any more breakouts.  As far as which essential oils are used, you could probably swap them out for any others you like the smell of.

I've only been using the lotion for a few days, so I can't speak for long term, but for now, I really love the way it smells and feels, its very light and soft, and it absorbs into the skin so it doesn't feel very greasy.  It's humid now, so I don't have too much of a dry skin problem, but wearing it in the winter will be the real test of how good it works.

The cream also stays very oily because of the shea butter, so I don't use it in the daytime, like you said.

SimplyAlex: Do you use the tea tree oil concentrated?  Does it prevent break outs?  It seems like it would if it helps in small amounts, but I didn't know if there were any dangers with using it concentrated.  The proactiv I've been using does prevent my breakouts entirely, but I'm lessening my usage of it to try to find something more natural.

Thanks for the recipes.  They seem really great. Where do you get your shea butter from and how does it smell?  I know that sounds weird but I recently got a sample online and it smells kinda bad.  I have a hard time using something that smells bad but I guess if it works I should get over it right?

Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2005 at 4:27am
Not weird at all!  I bought mine at essentialoil.net 

...and click on "butters" on the left.  I got the ultrarefined, which doesn't smell (I heard beforehand that unrefined smells bad so I never tried that kind).  Most recipes seem to be intended to use unrefined because it mixes better and makes a smoother cream, but I knew I wouldn't use it either if it didn't work out smelling nice.  So, the result is that the recipe for the cream is going to come out thick and pasty, but still useable. 
Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pokahontas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2005 at 8:32am

Originally posted by Susan W Susan W wrote:

Not weird at all!  I bought mine at essentialoil.net 

...and click on "butters" on the left.  I got the ultrarefined, which doesn't smell (I heard beforehand that unrefined smells bad so I never tried that kind).  Most recipes seem to be intended to use unrefined because it mixes better and makes a smoother cream, but I knew I wouldn't use it either if it didn't work out smelling nice.  So, the result is that the recipe for the cream is going to come out thick and pasty, but still useable. 

Thanks susan.  I'm getting ready to visit that web site now.

Yeah, unrefined does smell bad...kinda like something burnt.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic