Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

I truly need all the help I can get!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Tiramisu2c View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiramisu2c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I truly need all the help I can get!
    Posted: July 09 2005 at 2:54pm
I do believe I have found this place out of pure luck!  I've been reading all of the other posts made by people here, and most of you seem to be SO helpful and intelligent.
If my current plan for working in Radio falls through, my back up plan is Cosmetology School.  Honestly, I've always wanted to do hair... ever since I taught myself how to french braid. 
Unfortunately, my learning is a work in progress as I believe I have really screwed up my hair. 
Let me start from the top.
I have a little past shoulder-length hair, which is thick, layered, and naturally curly in some spots, wavy in others (almost crimpy).  My hair tends to look like I slept in braids overnight.  It was really really healthy.  Everytime I went to get my haircut, both the washer and cutter would tell me that my hair was in beautiful condition.  I'd say it was a medium-dark brown with natural blondish and reddish hi-lights.  It was by far, not a matte color. 
With the start of the summer, I decided I wanted to add more hi-lights to my hair. 
I used L'oreal's Hi-Light Styliste Hi-Control Brush-On Hi-Lights in Toasted Almond H50 on a few streaks in my hair.  The shade was alright, but I think I made the sections too thick so the streaks were a little more bold than I had hoped for.  A few weeks later (Maybe even a month or so) I decided I didn't like the hi-lights at all and wanted to color my hair back to one shade.  <Sigh>...I picked up Clairol Herbal Essences' Bold 'n Brilliant Level 3 Permanant Color in Chocolate Velvet...It's also 100% Ammonia-Free. 
I thought this would be better for my hair considering it had no ammonia.  It was alright, except it made my hair way too dark.  I guess it was more of a matte shade than my natural color and it made my hair look almost black.
A few days later, after trying to fade the color with Anti-Dandruff Shampoo, to my dismay, it was still black.  So, I freaked and bought L'Oreal Couleur Experte Multi-Tonal Permanent Color System in Medium Ash-Brown which is basically a two-step system where you apply an all-over color first and then add hi-lights with the included brush or comb.  At first, it didn't seem like the all-over took at all, so I decided to go ahead with the hi-light part.  After the whole thing was over, and my hair began to dry after my shower, I discovered disgusting orange hair.  For some reason, it was only orange on the top of my head, and the parts where I had tried to put hi-lights.  The most orange parts however, were where my previous hi-lights were from the Hi-Light Styliste.  I panicked and went out that night to buy The
Ammonia Free Clairol Herbal Essences' Bold 'n Brilliant Level 3 Permanant Color in Chocolate Velvet all over again.   I colored with it that night.
I knew it was previously too dark for me but I was afraid that anything with ammonia would KILL my hair, and that anything lighter wouldn't cover up the horrible orange. 
Well, it did cover up the orange, but it's even BLACKER the second time, which logic only tells me is because it was colored twice with the same dark shade. 
My hair is OK.  It's not in perfect condition, understandably, but it's not in nearly as bad condition as one would expect.  However, it's a disgusting dark black color.  True, it is better than orange, but i'm wondering if there is anything I can do, or if i need to just let it grow out to do anything.  Please help me with this dilemma!  Thanks!
PS - I have learned my lesson with experimenting on my hair that everyone tells me was so beautiful.
~Christine
I appreciate ANY help...and I'll answer any of your questions!
eKatherine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eKatherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2005 at 4:48pm
You've got two major problems here. First, when you color bleached hair dark again, you need to select a shade that's two levels lighter than you want, as the porous hair just sucks up the dye.

Then, you've been using permanent dye, which can be damaging even if it doesn't have ammonia. Demipermanent dye is best for what you wanted to do.

If you use colorfix to remove the color, you'll still have multicolored hair - shades of orange and yellow and brown. It'll be tough to get this back where you want. I think it would be best to bite the bullet and get this fixed professionally.

Just looking for a few good hair slaves - is that too much to ask?
Vicky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vicky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2005 at 3:42am
If you are truily desperate you can use colorfix or bleach it. You may have to do this twice to get a farely light color.  After this you would have a color that is orange. Then you are free to chose which color you want to have. This is unless you are aming for a blond color. Like e-katherine said, you should always buy color 2 levels lighter than you want. (Belive me, If i had known this before it would have saved me some blaching aswell.)

If you do this I would expect that your hair will not be in such great condition, but as long as you don't keep coloring all of your hair with permanent color you'll be okay.

Only color your outgrowth after this ore try using semi / demi permanent color.

Good luck. Let us know what you decide to do.
Veronica F View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Veronica F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2005 at 7:44am
If u can't go to a pro, which i highly recommend, u could use colorfix and then a brown shade of ur choice in an Ash base.
LiliBeach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LiliBeach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2005 at 2:39pm
First of all, when a colorbox states "no amonia" that is not completely true.  The presence of amonia is needed for the color molecules to oxydize.  The manufactuer will replace it with something else that works as amonia AND is alot more harsh.  So don't fall for the no amonia statement.

Next, I want you to try Olive oil, yes, Olive oil.  The ph in olive oil is such that it will begin to open the cuticle slightly and allow the color molecules to escape.  Leave it on as long as you can and do this a few days straight.

If this does not work, please see a professional.  You can really get yourself into some trouble.

But most all....be patient.

Take Care!!
I am a professional Hairstylist/Haircolorist with 19 years experience. I have traveled all over the country for my advanced education. I am also a salon owner.:)........and I LOVE Redken!!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiramisu2c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2005 at 10:10pm
AH!  What do you mean I could really get myself into trouble???  Is my hair going to fall out or something?  I mean it's still soft and in good condition.  I condition it almost daily...it's just not the color I'd like.  I have also found that the top of my head which was originally the lightest orange is starting to fade and is not as black as it was before...however, the ends are still black.  It sort of fades from a light brown to a dark black the closer to the ends of my hair you get.  I think I may go for a trim when I have the money, just to get the blackest parts off.  I will definitely try the olive oil.  I do not think I am going to do anything else to my hair with chemicals...I think I will be patient and let it grow out, even though it will probably take a few years. 
Ugh...I guess I learned my lesson the hard way.  At least it's just hair... lol.
leia1979 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leia1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2005 at 1:20am
Hello fellow radio person!

I haven't heard the olive oil solution before, but it certainly can't hurt.  If it doesn't fade in a week or so, and you're desperate, you could try Color Fix, but always strand test first.  Theoretically Color Fix should take you to a red-orange, over which you could apply an ash (blue or green base) semi-permanent color (as Veronica said) to cancel out the orange.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiramisu2c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2005 at 12:00pm

Ok, so it's probably been about two weeks since I colored my hair the awful shade of brown/black, and im sad to say that the top of my head, with hair closest to the scalp is appearing very light.  My natural hair color is NOT that light, so no, it isn't my roots growing in.  I think it's the hair that was orange not holding the color as well as the rest of my hair...

I think I want to get a trim to cut off the dead ends which are darkest, but I'm worried that my hair is going to be all different shades of red.  I was willing to let it grow out but not if my hair is going to continue getting lighter near the top of my head.  THEN, when my roots grow in, I'm going to have dark, light, the really dark striped on my head, aren't I??  Ugh...you know how they say you should never regret anything you do, only learn from it?  I really regret this move! 

I don't really want to try color fix because my hair's condition right now is not that bad at all.  I'm afraid that if I use color fix it will turn it to straw...plus, i don't know what to do from there because I feel like I don't remember my natural color, lol.  I'll try to find pictures if I can. 

Thanks so much for all your help!  I'm sorry to be a nag, I just wanted to update. 

~Christine

PS - the shade of lighter hair that's fading in on the top is almost an orangey-red...cinnamon type color.  Grrr...thanks again.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiramisu2c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2005 at 11:20am
OK, so I whipped out the camera to show you pics:

That is what it looked like before my accident with a few dye bottles.
This is what it looks like now (sigh):

And just so you can see the ugly whatever-you-wanna-call them stripes that are in my head:

(You can see how dark it gets toward the very bottom/front)
Here's another one:

Oh and here are the so-called roots, except that they're not my roots b/c my hair hasn't grown that much in 2 weeks.  it's just the top of my head that didnt take the color:

Ugh...i thought I could let it just grow out, but everyday  more and more people are saying, "Hey, did you....do something... different to your hair??" Which is just the polite way of asking, "What the **** did you do to your hair?!"

I hate to be annoying, but please, help.  If i HAVE to use colorfix, I will.  I don't want to mutilate my hair any further than I have, but I dont know what else to do. 
Thanks again,
Christine
Veronica F View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Veronica F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2005 at 2:21pm

I think maybe ur roots are really porous is all. You could try colorfix but you should strand test first. You're hair looks pretty healthy to me, but if i may say so, i don't think the highlights look all that bad!

U should use a colorgloss becuz it always saturates porous hair and it'll cover the roots, but u'd wanna get like a level 6 brown shade or something becuz gloss always turns out waay darker than its supposed to....try clairol radiance color gloss.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiramisu2c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2005 at 9:23pm
Thanks so much for all of your help!  I actually was thinking...In the first pic i posted, that was my hair before I colored and when it was at my favorite length.  Do you think if I trimmed it and got some more layers in because i think my layers are starting to grow out...Maybe it'll chop off some of the black?  Because the black is at the ends. 

I think I'll try that before I go and use colorfix.  Colorfix seems a little drastic, and I dont want to ruin the condition of my hair.

From different angles, it looks completely different.  From the front, it looks almost pitch black and really split-endy, but from the back/sides, it's kinda lighter and in good health i think. 
Anyway, maybe I'll get the front angled in to the layers to get rid of some of the black in the front...

Thanks so much!  Keep posting any ideas/advice.  You guys are awesome!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic