Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

When momma use to do our hai

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
divaedout View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote divaedout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: When momma use to do our hai
    Posted: July 12 2005 at 11:36pm
Does anyone notice that when we were younger and our mothers did our hair it use to be so long and healthy. I guess that is what i decided to do is go back to doing my hair the way my mom use to do it with care and concern and not just do anything or trust anyone with our hair.  The more hairdressers I 've been to the more I wish I could go back to the days when someone I really trusted and had my best interest at heart did my hair. Does anyone feel me???
when people ask you why too much they usually want to really ask why are you so fly
BrownEyez2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrownEyez2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2005 at 1:27am

For sure mine was much longer, thicker and healthier. Oh, how I miss those days! The funny thing is my mom didn't wash my hair everyday, etc --my hair was washed 1x per week, I remember sitting on the floor between my mom's knees while she oiled my scalp w/grease--yes GREASE ya'll--sulfur 8, bergamot, royal crown (which is soooo forbidden now) and my mom would massage my scalp @ least 3x/wk. Then my grandmother would press my hair w/ the hotcomb every 2wks or as needed--simple regimen. I loved my hair then, I would spend hours in the mirror "practicing" hairstyles the night b4 on school days. Then the PERM happened... and although, my hair is not terrible, it's never been as healthy as it was then. Go figure...

~~LIVE YOUR BEST LIFE!~~
Renee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Renee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2005 at 2:32am
i always had cornrows and she rarely washed my hair and all i used was grease. and my naturalhair was long and thick. well not as thick and normal but it was long. LOL
oskana View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2005 at 7:42am
ya know i have similar experience as i child. typical my mom would grease my scalp (pink oil=huge no no now), wash not as often, press without heat protetants. yet my hair was long/thick as hell. what once worked as a child no longer works now.
cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2005 at 12:59pm

Umm well lets see...well my mom washed my hair once every 2 weeks (thats what she told me)  My family had to hold me down on the counter just to get my hair washed. I hated getting my hair washed and I hated water. It seemed to take a whoooooolllllleeeeee day to get my hair washed, dried and then braided. Every few sundays (especially holidays) my mom would press my hair...wake up about 6 am on sunday to get all pressed and head to Sunday School. We experiemented with glovers mane and I hated that stuff since. It stank!!! No matter how many washes on wash day that stuff still smelled like an over used bar-b-que grill.  But my hair always turned out cute!

Natural
BC May 9, 2004

SimplyAlex View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SimplyAlex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2005 at 2:33pm
Yeah I remeber but I really think it was relaxing that did most of us in cause that's when most of my hair problems started. Our hair just thrives naturally no matter what no-no's we do to it. I'm natural now and I'm finally getting my gorgous hair back.
Jesuschrist#1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jesuschrist#1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2005 at 9:52pm
When mommy used 2 do my hair it would look so good! My natural hair is extremely thick, like Rudy Huxtable from the Cosbys. I sort of regret getting a relaxer (which mom told me NOT to), but she gave in and let me get one and I no longer have the beautiful afro texture that I once had. When I was younger my hair was too tough to handle, so mom would press it using grease only. I never used a lot of products - just my Blue Magic Grease and mom would only wash it once a month. Now it's a totally different story, but I guess sometimes change is good. You learn from your mistakes and learn to accept your hair's texture - whether it's relaxed, natural, locked, it's all up to u, whatever makes u comfortable!
1 more day until next touch-up

5 more months until bra-strap length
Honeydoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honeydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2005 at 10:33pm
My mom use to wash my hair with baby shampoo, grease my scalp with WGHO, and braid it until it was dry. Then, the hot comb came out. I use to hate it soooo much!!! She always burnt my right ear without fail. My hair was pretty thick back then, but it's getting to be that way again without all the tangles!!
http://public.fotki.com/Honeydoo
pw: bombay
sugaplum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sugaplum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2005 at 11:30am

I remember my mom washing my hair 2 weeks as well.  Greasing my hair with Hawaian Silky "Sure Gro,"Blue Magic, Posner, and TCB. I also remember my mother using eggs and mayo in my hair as a conditioner.  My mom also did my relaxers.  My hair was bra strap length and thick.

100% Natural
BC - 4/21/07
Love All Gods' Creatures
karonica View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karonica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2005 at 1:57pm
My mother would wash my hair about once a month (  ), slap vseline in it and called it a day.  That was it!!  And I had some long hair too - one of the reasons I have no problem using products with petrolatum/mineral oil on my hair.  
Natural since Nov 6, 2004
Supersugar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Supersugar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2005 at 4:57am

My hair was definitely thicker when I was younger, and longer too -- but remember that most of us were shorter, so "longer" on a kid would not look the same on an adult.

My hair used to be much thinner, until I got away from that durned hairdresser who insisted that I come in every six weeks.  Now it's a lot thicker, and since I trim my own ends and use less heat, it looks much better than I'm used to for two months post-relaxer.

Edited by Supersugar
Make every day you have count, before the time comes for you to count every day you have.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic