Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

From gray to brown again

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
chgurlsng View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chgurlsng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: From gray to brown again
    Posted: July 13 2005 at 1:45pm

My mother would like me to dye her hair back to her natural color to take a way the grays.  Every time she tried, her hair turned red and stayed that way for a long time.  My first question is why did it turn red?  Second, what is a good dye to use?

This is a pic. that is close to her natural color:

http://gallery.hairboutique.com/detail.asp?Colors=4&Text ures=1&Lengths=255&btnSearch=Search&Genders=1&am p;SortBy=0&Styles=255&FaceShapes=255&ID=4585

Sorry, but my scanner is broken or else I'd have more actual photos.

Thanks for your help,

Char

Vicky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vicky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2005 at 2:27pm
Do you know which color she has been using? Which shade that is?
You need to get one where it says on the box that it can be used for covering gray hair. Is it just the grey hairs that are turning out red or is it all of the hair?
chgurlsng View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chgurlsng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2005 at 2:36pm

ALL of her hair turned red.  She used Revlon colorsilk 40, 4a medium ash brown and it says 100% gray coverage.  Thanks for your help so far!  I really appreciate it.

-Char

Vicky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vicky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2005 at 3:59pm
I googled for that color and it said that if you color hair that is already red it will stay redish. Is this making any sence? Perhaps your mother started using that perticular color after it had turned red once? Try chaning brand and search on the color and read about it before. Have you got a sallys near you? Or a hairdressers, you can always ask them for help. Hairdressers sometimes sell haircolor, they'll know exactly what to do. If her hair is red at the moment you will need a "strong" color because red is hard to get ridd of, otherwise the red will still show through..

I don't know if this helped at all

chgurlsng View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chgurlsng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2005 at 8:44pm
Her hair has always been salt and peppery before she died it.  I will have to look at some different brands. 
Unfortunatly, we don't have a Sally's but we have Beauty Co.  I have never looked at their coloring products before.

-Char
Vicky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vicky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2005 at 5:21am
I read abit more about that revlon 40, 4a haircolor and it said that the results will be a mixture between the natural color and mahogany brown. Gray hair has no real pigment and what has happened is that the only color that will stick will be the red/brown. If you ask at beauty co they will help you. Hope everything turns out ok. 
Veronica F View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Veronica F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2005 at 7:29am

Originally posted by chgurlsng chgurlsng wrote:

Her hair has always been salt and peppery before she died it.  I will have to look at some different brands. 
Unfortunatly, we don't have a Sally's but we have Beauty Co.  I have never looked at their coloring products before.

-Char

You see, light hair when colored brown will prob always turn red so u need to use a protein filler on the hair in red which can bought at sally's and then use the ash brown over it, hope this helps.

chgurlsng View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chgurlsng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2005 at 9:02am
K, thanks a bunch!  I'll try it and get back later.

-Char
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic