Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Highlights to all over color?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
BohemeChick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BohemeChick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Highlights to all over color?
    Posted: July 16 2005 at 8:21am
I have highlights on a dyed dark brown base so overall it looks like a mix of medium and light brown. Now, I'd like to medium blonde all over and do root touchups myself, I was wondering if I could lighten my hair with a lightener after doing a color removal? The last time I did my highlights was in May and I dyed my hair dark brown in earlier this year in Jan. My hair is quite healthy but dry. Any feedback would be great!
eKatherine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eKatherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2005 at 9:19am
That would be the way to do it. You just need to be extremely careful not to overprocess your highlighted parts, as they'll need less bleaching.

Just looking for a few good hair slaves - is that too much to ask?
murdoch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote murdoch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2005 at 12:12pm

i was thinking about going meduim blonde too!

my hair is dark brown will mine go orange???

my rabbit- her hairs always perfect!
cl21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cl21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2005 at 1:21pm
Originally posted by murdoch murdoch wrote:

i was thinking about going meduim blonde too!

It probably will on first attempt, as mine did have an orange tint and I had med brown hair.

The best way to go is with highlights, gradually taking it lighter incase you don't like it blond. Highlights seem to phase out your base colour after some time.

Longhairdreams View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longhairdreams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2005 at 1:52pm
Your hair shouldnt be orange if you lighten enough.I am also a natural medium brown.And I successfully lightened without orange.And believe me I have alot of red undertones.You need to lighten to to the yellow stage.You dont have to lighten all the way to pale yellow for medium blonde.Just make sure all the orange is out before you tone.I toned with #8 medium ash blonde.The ash should help nuetralize any brassy or orange tones that might still be lurking around.I agree highlights can look good.But most celebs who get their hair lightened from brown colors have they're base color bumped up to dark blonde or lighter depending on how light they want they're hair and then highlighted with a lighter color.Thats how they get such a natura looking blonde.The blonde on brown can look good too,but its more of an edgy lookIMO.Both can look good though.I guess Its all about what kind of look your going for.
BohemeChick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BohemeChick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2005 at 12:51am
Originally posted by murdoch murdoch wrote:

It might the first time around. For dark haired folks it takes about 1-2 rounds of bleaching for a dark to medium blonde. I learned that if you just want a medium blonde all you have is to bleach hair up to yellow/orange or goldish color. Then slap on a medium blonde tint.

I'll take the plunge and use a color remover to remove any old dark dyes and then bleach my hair carefully not to overload the highlights (which are few by the way). I'm a big fan of clairol creme toner in towhead which I have used in the past. It's a lovely shade of light cool blonde.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic