Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

How Much Hair Loss Is Normal?????

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Rabbithead View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rabbithead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How Much Hair Loss Is Normal?????
    Posted: July 18 2005 at 3:27pm

I have very fine thin hair. Everytime I comb my hair, wash my hair, or just run my fingers through my hair, some hair comes out. Is this normal? I'm not taking any medications or anything. And my health seems fine. But I don't know if hair is supposed to fall off this easily. How much hair loss is normal every day? I don't have a lot of hair and this concerns me.

eKatherine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eKatherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2005 at 8:58pm
How many hairs with intact root bulb do you lose a day?

Just looking for a few good hair slaves - is that too much to ask?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rabbithead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2005 at 2:16pm

Well, I never counted exactly but everytime I brush my hair about 6 strands fall off. I think most of them fall off from the root because they are pretty long pieces and I don't hear or feel any breakage when I comb my hair. If I leave my hair alone the whole day, put it up in a bun and not touch it or comb it, less will fall off. But as soon as I brush it or even run my fingers through it a couple of times, some strands fall.

eKatherine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eKatherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2005 at 2:33pm
It sounds normal to me. Supposedly we lose 50 to 100 strands a day.

Just looking for a few good hair slaves - is that too much to ask?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rabbithead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2005 at 6:49pm

Really? That much? Looking at my hair, I don't think I can afford to lose 100 strands a day. My hair is so thin that if I lose 100 strands a day, I think I will be bald in less than 2 weeks!!!

AmberJune View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AmberJune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2005 at 10:02pm
Originally posted by Rabbithead Rabbithead wrote:

Really? That much? Looking at my hair, I don't think I can afford to lose 100 strands a day. My hair is so thin that if I lose 100 strands a day, I think I will be bald in less than 2 weeks!!

LOL You crack me up.... Why?? Because you seem so much like me! hehehehe

*AmberJune* http://twitter.com/AmberJune01
AmberJune View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AmberJune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2005 at 10:04pm

Oh...also, wanted to tell you that I got this new shampoo ...Its called Nioxin.....Its for fine/thin hair.  It is a shampoo and the conditioner is actually scalp therapy that tingles when you rub it into your scalp.  I actually use an extra conditioner (Big Sexy) for then lower ends of my hair.  I really like Nioxin....Its supposed to be for early stages of thinning hair.  You might want to try it if your concerned.  It's a bit pricey....for a very large bottle of both it was 42 dollars.  But to me it was very much worth it...and it will probably last me 4 to 5 months with as big as it is.

HTH

Edited by AmberJune
Kuroneko View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kuroneko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2005 at 11:53pm

I thought that shampoo was probably a scam, because their site leads one to believe their products regrow hair, except like the FAQ says it's not meant to regrow hair, but just to create a healthy environment for hair to grow -_- .  So which is it really supposed to do?  And what does it deliver?

I don't shed excessively from combing or playing with my hair.  I hate washing, however, because any time I do I lose so much :-( .  I swear I'll be bald in just a few years if it continues like this :-( .

More awesome than a manatee!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rabbithead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2005 at 9:15pm
Originally posted by AmberJune AmberJune wrote:

Oh...also, wanted to tell you that I got this new shampoo ...Its called Nioxin.....Its for fine/thin hair.  It is a shampoo and the conditioner is actually scalp therapy that tingles when you rub it into your scalp.  I actually use an extra conditioner (Big Sexy) for then lower ends of my hair.  I really like Nioxin....Its supposed to be for early stages of thinning hair.  You might want to try it if your concerned.  It's a bit pricey....for a very large bottle of both it was 42 dollars.  But to me it was very much worth it...and it will probably last me 4 to 5 months with as big as it is.

HTH

How long have you been using Nioxin? Are the results good? Are you growing more hair now? I'm willing to invest in it if it'll help me have more hair on my poor head......

AmberJune View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AmberJune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2005 at 9:54pm

I wouldn't say it has necessarily grown more hair on my head....but they say after 5 months your hair is in incredible shape from it.... This is from someone who has used it ...not the website or anything.

Someone said that S and C was just to create a healthy environment for hair to grow ....but honestly...there is NO magical hair pill or potion that will grow your hair..so that is probably right.

LiliBeach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LiliBeach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2005 at 11:13pm

I have used Nioxin smoothing Shampoo and Conditioner for 2 years now and I am very impressed.   My hair has stopped breaking so much on the ends.

It is true that it creates a healthy environment for hair to grow.  It is a pretty cool product.

Another thing you might want to try is a vitamin called Biotin.  You can buy it in a health food store.  Hair seems to just love it.

One thing I would like to know is, Do you wear your hair in a pony tail ever?   I always ask this question when clients ask me about hair loss.  If you wear a ponytail, the 50-100 hairs a day cannot fall freely.  Therefore, when you take it down or wash it, it seems to fall alot more.

Also,  Is your hair long?  Two hairs wrapped round and round your finger can seem like ten.

Bottom line, don't worry unless you are seein bald spots, then if you are, I would see a doctor about hormone testing.

Edited by LiliBeach
I am a professional Hairstylist/Haircolorist with 19 years experience. I have traveled all over the country for my advanced education. I am also a salon owner.:)........and I LOVE Redken!!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rabbithead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2005 at 12:02pm

Thanks for the info everyone!

Lili, I do put my hair in a ponytail, but not all the time. And the times I do, it's because I don't want my hair to fall! I guess I can't stop something that's inevitable huh???

My hair is layered and cut into a v-shape. The longest part is around the middle of my back, so it's not super long or anything.

I'm not seeing bald spots. But I know I have less hair than before. I used to be able to twist a scrunchie just 2 times and it would hold all my hair. Now, I have to twist a scrunchie 3 times to tie my hair, and that seems kind of lose too.

Also, my hair growth seemed more dense before.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic