Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Short hair for life?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
fatmoogas View Drop Down
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatmoogas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Short hair for life?
    Posted: July 20 2005 at 2:20pm

It's easy to think of people who've had long hair all their lives. Lots of celebrities like that too: Jane Seymour, Crystal Gayle, etc. However, there are far fewer, who have kept short hair all their lives. Not many celebrities either. A few build their reputation with short hair, but later grow it out (think Anne Heche and Winona Ryder).

Just a thought: but is there anyone here who has never had long hair?

DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2005 at 5:43pm
I know lots of people who have never had long hair in their life.  Mostly men.  I assume you're talking about women?

As for celebs, how about Liza Minelli?  (and how short do you consider short?  There are others who have never let their hair get beyond chin length).

I can think of a number of women IRL who have never had long hair.  But, I think most have at least tried it once.
fatmoogas View Drop Down
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatmoogas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2005 at 6:05pm
Right, Dave. I was talking about women. I've actually seen a few pictures of Liza Minelli from before she became famous, and her hair was right down to her butt!
Rod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2005 at 8:10pm
Originally posted by fatmoogas fatmoogas wrote:

It's easy to think of people who've had long
hair all their lives. Lots of celebrities like that too: Jane Seymour,
Crystal Gayle, etc. However, there are far fewer, who have kept short
hair all their lives. Not many celebrities either. A few build their
reputation with short hair, but later grow it out (think Anne Heche and
Winona Ryder).

Just a thought: but is there anyone here who has never had long
hair?

What's the point of this post? To prove that long hair is better because
some celebs have never had short hair? How do you know that Jane
Seymour and Crystal Gayle didn't have short hair before they were
famous?
HAWG View Drop Down
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HAWG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2005 at 8:19pm

I first thought of Jamie Lee Curtis but then found this:

http://celebhair.tripod.com/ij/jam1.htm

Then I thought of Lorrie Morgan (country singer) and found this:

http://www.lorrie.com/coppermine/

The two pictures on the bottom of the first page with her as a brunette are with wigs; I remember seeing a "how'd they do that" type thing on CMT.

I'm still hunting for another.

HAWG
fatmoogas View Drop Down
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatmoogas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2005 at 8:24pm
I'd be glad to hear of any lady who has always had short hair. I'm just curious.
eatgreenjello View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eatgreenjello Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2005 at 8:58pm
Okie dokie.  I fit the bill.  Short hair all my life.  One of my favorite pictures I have was when I was in my 2nd grade picture, and I had a little boys haircut.  I love looking back at that picture because I thought it went so well with my face.  I think that is why I always fight my hair when I try to grow it, only to cut it short again.  Long hair makes me feel suffocated, and I have cystic fibrosis and that makes it hard for me to breath anyway.  Hence the short hair.  Plus I'm always hot, so having lots of hair makes me hotter.

**Hair type: 2a, which is wavy and fine.
**Color: Naturally dark brown, currently dyed reddish brown.
**Length: below shoulder length
Rod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2005 at 9:09pm
No one knows if any woman has always had short hair, but Ashley
Scott, Karen Duggy, Natalie Raitano, and Katie Couric have had hair
shoulder length or above since they became famous.
Kuroneko View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kuroneko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2005 at 5:37am

I think one of the major reasons it's hard to find women who have never had long hair is because they were all little girls at one time.  Most parents put their little girls in long hair just by default (I guess 'cause we're all basically androgynous until we hit puberty, and they don't want their kids to get mistaken for the opposite gender).

And I won't even go into all the societal pressures from parents, friends, peers, the media, etc. saying women have to have long hair to be attractive or sexy.  Basically, if you go back and look through the posts LHFs write complaining about what they see as societal pressures for women to cut their hair. . . there's just as strong a pressure going in the total opposite direction.

More awesome than a manatee!
eatgreenjello View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eatgreenjello Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2005 at 7:52am
Originally posted by Kuroneko Kuroneko wrote:

Most parents put their little girls in long hair just by default (I guess 'cause we're all basically androgynous until we hit puberty, and they don't want their kids to get mistaken for the opposite gender).

Oh yeah for sure, my sister had my little boys cut at the same time I did (we're 14 months apart and look alike).  One time she was walking into a store and this man says, "oh excuse me little boy".  WELL, my sister is scarred for life because of that one comment.  She doesn't like short hair and always complains about mine.

I think that's also a reason woman pierce their baby girls ears when they are infants, so people will know they are female.

If I had a child (my children are dogs), I wouldn't care if someone mixed up their gender, I'd cut their hair to whatever looks good on them.  Oh, our society is so messed up.

**Hair type: 2a, which is wavy and fine.
**Color: Naturally dark brown, currently dyed reddish brown.
**Length: below shoulder length
SanFranBrent View Drop Down
Inactive
Inactive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SanFranBrent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2005 at 5:47pm

I agree. When females are little girls, they usually have longer hair. That is true with my daughter.

When females get past the teen years and become adult women with women's features, women's bodies and women's voices then many women get short hairstyles. Others stay long or medium length with their hair.

I have known many women who have worn short hair, or fairly short hair, their entire adult life once they were past their teen years or early twenties.

In the case of celebrity women, many actually have short hair but sometimes wear extensions to change their looks. Many women, and not just celebrity women, like changing their hairstyle length and sometimes color of hair.

That is why only a few women wear very long hair or very short hair their entire adult life.

Edited by SanFranBrent
Brent
Kuroneko View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kuroneko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2005 at 5:37am

It's amazing how one comment can scar a person for life.  One of my earliest memories was how on first-grade picture day I wanted to wear a ponytail, but I wasn't allowed 'cause "it'll look like you have short hair, and people will think you're a boy!"  Well, I'd been fascinated by short-haired women ever since I'd found out women could have it (erm, yeah, had very weird parents indeed -_-), so that remark scarred me the complete opposite way from how your sister was scarred.  I really don't like long hair on most people (especially me), and often complain about it.

I wasn't allowed to have pierced ears as a child, which sounds weird, since I come from such gender role-obsessive parents.  I always got some line about how if I did it, I'd regret it later. . . and when I did, the holes would never properly close, so I'd be stuck with the scars for life. . . all kinds of weird stuff.  Of course, now I have three holes in my left ear, and one in the right. . . very asymmetrical. . .  I wear earrings in all the holes most of the time, and I can't recall ever regretting it yet.

I think if I had a child, I'd want to let her make her own decisions on hair, whether I liked what she picked out or not.  I know how it can mess up a child when the parents' preferences are forced on her, and I wouldn't want that to happen to any child I might be raising.

Originally posted by eatgreenjello eatgreenjello wrote:

Oh yeah for sure, my sister had my little boys cut at the same time I did (we're 14 months apart and look alike).  One time she was walking into a store and this man says, "oh excuse me little boy".  WELL, my sister is scarred for life because of that one comment.  She doesn't like short hair and always complains about mine.

I think that's also a reason woman pierce their baby girls ears when they are infants, so people will know they are female.

If I had a child (my children are dogs), I wouldn't care if someone mixed up their gender, I'd cut their hair to whatever looks good on them.  Oh, our society is so messed up.

Sasumi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sasumi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2005 at 12:29pm
Ah, I've had short hair all my life.

The longest I've ever had it was just barely touching my shoulders... It didn't look too good at that length.

But, everybody I know wants me to have long, long hair. They say I'll look really pretty with it, but I just went ahead and cut it even shorter... I've always had short hair because, I guess, I sort of want to be a boy. I have an older brother, and ever since I was a kid I hung out with him and his friends, and I look up to him...

But now I've been wanting to try and grow my hair really long (to my hips). Besides, long hair's different, and the change might be nice.
Kuroneko View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kuroneko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2005 at 2:11am

Look around at user-icons-- some of the boys around here do have super-long hair :-P . . .

demodoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote demodoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2005 at 4:18pm

I have always had shoulder length or shorter hair.  When I was younger it was because my hair wouldn't grow any longer than that.  My parents always kept my hair short when I was little but I wanted it long when I started school and saw the other girls with long hair.  Well, that just didn't work for me.  Even at shoulder length it was stringy and awful.  I began getting blunt bobs in my twenties and they looked awesome.  Since my hair is baby fine and thin I have continued to go shorter and shorter and I am happier that way.  I don't like long hair much.  It always seems kind of nasty to me somehow.  Clogged drains, not washing it every day, having to spend lots of time caring for it.  Not for me.  My daughter has fine hair too but lots more.  Hers is bra strap length and looks nice but she is 19.  At 49 that would look silly.  Just my opinion though.  To each his own.

Joey Heatherton always had short hair I think.  She is still around and still short.

"It is better to look marvelous than to feel marvelous" Billy Crystal
Ononotdon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ononotdon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2005 at 11:10pm
Isabella Rosselini has always had short hair.  I'm not sure that long hair would suit her.
Kuroneko View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kuroneko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2005 at 5:01am
I said long hair was gross in my blog, and got all kinds of crap for it -_- .  Er, so I'm glad you said it here.  Let somebody else brave the backlash instead of me ^_^; .  *hides*
demodoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote demodoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2005 at 7:21am
K., I noticed the crap you got and thought I would let you know that you are not alone in your opinions.  You are always gentle and humerous in your expression of your opinions and I, for one, enjoy reading your posts.  A lot of people think short hair is gross but you can't beat the creativity and convenience it affords.  Also, so much easier to keep clean and fresh.  I love the way it exposes the face and highlights eyes and cheeks.  Again, just my opinion but I guess this is the forum to express it.  It does take more upkeep but if you enjoy a trip to the salon (and I really do) so much the better.
"It is better to look marvelous than to feel marvelous" Billy Crystal
lovebobs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lovebobs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2005 at 10:52pm

short and long hair are both gross!  if the wearer of that do' is gross and does not wash it regularly

however my wife once had LONG hair that was very pretty very neatly trimme dand very well taken care of it always smelled like shampoo and was silky

she still has that but its short  and thats what makes her hair sexy to me is that its so well kept be it long or short

i always see 18-25 year old girls with long hair that looks nice , they spend time making it that way PLUS THEIR HAIR IS HEALTHY CUZ THEY ARE YOUNG   but when it gets ratty and uneven and gross  yah that is the soooo nasty but you only get that if you neglect it or if you are aging, i feel women over 40 should not have long hair it just loses its shimmer after some time and looks like an old mop  and should be cut shoulder or shorter   i know ill hear from people that im wrong for saying it but no woman over 40 looks nice with long hair unless they are in thier 40's and look like they are in their 30's

and as far as men with long hair it NEVER ever looks nice it always looks dirty and gross   mens hair is different it should be shorter im not saying crewcut  but by no means past their shoulders it just looks ratty and trashy

THAT IS HOW I FEEL GO AHEAD AND BASH ME!!!!! IM READY TO HEAR IT!!!

Long with BLUNT bangs or ALL cut to lip length, I cant decide my favorite!
Longhairdreams View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longhairdreams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2005 at 11:23pm
I agree long uncared for hair looks bad.But as far as guys and long hair.Most guys long hair looks better than womens long hair.Most women use heat,and chemicals on their hair.Where All the long haired men I have met have let theirs be natural.My husband has long hair past his shoulders,and it looks really healthy and pretty.And look at dave d's hair.His hair is very healthy and well taken care of.And I have met women over forty with long hair.And depending on what they did to it,it can look nice as well.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic