Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The FIGHT against HUMIDITY!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Amber2100 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amber2100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The FIGHT against HUMIDITY!!
    Posted: July 23 2005 at 3:10pm

Hey everyone!

I have curly hair (I'm 1/2 black & native american) that has been mildlly relaxed I think my stylist uses Rusk.  I don't want to use a relaxer any stronger than the one I already use but I'm looking for some products that I could use to keep the frizz out when I'm in the humidity.  Has anyone used Halo or Phyto products??  I want something that will seal the cuticle & give me that shine & bounce that people with straight hair already have.

P.S. any suggestions on a really good flat iron?

Sharyg11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sharyg11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2005 at 2:12pm
Go with Redken Smooth down line. It is great. I also use Rusk anticurl, which by itself, if done correctly does a great job at keeping humidity out. However I blow dry then flat iron my hair twice a week, and these products work wonders. Use the smooth down shampoo and the Butter treat conditioner. If you don't have a flat iron get one. I have a Sedu flat iron, wich I got at Folica.com and it is the best thing that has ever happened to my hair. I use salerm 21 (the one in the squeeze tube not he one in the bottle) mixed with a little Sebastian potion 9 before I blow dry my hair. I also spray it with Redken color extend total recharge, even though I don't color my hair. But the stuff is amazing and makes your hair look great. Then I put on Redken heat glide before flat ironing my hair. My hair stays super straight, shiny and smooth in the Highest humidity (I live in Miami). You would never know that my hair is super curly, dry and frizzie. It looks naturally straight and beautiful. For more tips go to Verticalsinhair.com.
Amber2100 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amber2100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2005 at 3:18pm

Thank you so much for your great advice!!!  I tried your straightening regimen and my hair stays silky smooth even in the Louisiana heat!! I can't say enough about the Sedu iron, it has changed my life!!!  Thanks Again!!

Sharyg11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sharyg11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2005 at 4:24pm

Glad it worked. If you want to try other great products, Redken all soft hair addictive used as a leave in conditioner works great. Also Tigi has a product called Catwalk fashionista smooth and shine. Sometimes I alternate this with the Sebastian potion 9. When you blow dry the hair, you really don't see much difference for frizz. But once you run the iron throught it... it is great. And another little secret Matrix smoothing iron spray works great too. After applying the Redken heat glide I divide my hair into sections and spray each individual section right before I flat iron. You must hold the bottle several inches away and only mist the hair. You will get even straighter results. And my last secret; Biolage shine renewal spray. The stuff is a miracle in a bottle. Again, hold the bottle several inches away and slightly mist the hair. You will be amazed at how shiny and soft your hair will get.

If you can afford it, invest in a good hair dryer. I bought a Hai ceramic turmaline dryer, and WoW! Not only does my hair come out soft, shiny, and beautifull, but it does it in half the time. It is expensive (around $120) but I got mine on ebay for $79.

Also do remember to do protein treatments, and deep conditioning your hair after the protein treatments. Otherwise your hair will feel like straw. And last but not least, with all the product going in your hair, you will need a clarifying shampoo at least once a week. I love Paul Mitchell Shampoo Two. It really cleans the hair without drying it. It smells great. It is affordable (around $5) and it doesn't have any Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (so no premature wrinkles). The cheap brands all have Sodium Lauryl Sulfate as well as Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate which is even worst.

Well, There are all my secrets. Hope they work as well for you as they do for me.

P.S- good protein treatements are:Redken deep fuel, Joico Reconstructor or Sebastian 2+1. You can find them all on Ebay or at your local trade secret store. They are a must if you flat iron your hair. It will keep it from getting damaged and breaking off.

Amber2100 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amber2100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2005 at 12:39am

O.M.G.!!! this is the BEST advice i've ever gotten on one of these hair forums!!!  Nobody ever told me to deep condition after protein treatments (you are so right about the straw feeling).  My hair hasn't ever looked this good.  I printed out your advice so I can remember everything!!! I advise everyone who reads this to do the same. Your hair will NEVER be the same....especially if you have battled with unruly curly hair in high humidity!!! I can't thank you enough Sharyg11. I owe you my life LOL!

Sharyg11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sharyg11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2005 at 9:45pm

O.M.G  You are goint to make me cry LOL!. Believe me I know the pain of curly frezzie hair. It has not been easy or cheap to come up with the right regimen, but it feels so good to have saved a fellow victim of the frizzie curly curse lol. 

About the protein treatments... Most people don't know that protein treatments are not conditioners, and are not meant to make hair soft, but to buffer the damage from all the turture we put our hair through. That's why many people try protein treatments and give them bad reviews, and won't ever use them again. I am so happy my info has been so usefull to you, and that it worked as well for you as it has for me. I'll keep you posted if I find any more good hair products. Enjoy your new beautifull, shiny, frizz free, humidity resistant hair. I know I never tought I would be able to use all those terms in the same sentence when talking about my hair. But the miracle happened, and I couldn't be happier to have been able to share it with someone else. Enjoy it girl!

Miamituscani1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Miamituscani1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2005 at 12:36pm
Thank you so much for your tips. I am also live in Miami and have hair problems. Where doy ou buy the Rusk anticurl.
Sharyg11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sharyg11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2005 at 3:30pm
There is a place on Miller (SW 56th st) and 94th Ave.  It is a salon and beauty supply. I don't remember the name, but it is in the same plaza where Publix supermarket is. It is the only physical place where I have been able to find it. Before I found that place, I would buy it on Ebay, or at Diamondbeauty.com. If you are going to do it yourself, make sure you follow the directions to the T. DO NOT put the product on your scalp. It can cause damage to the actual hair bulb and produce hair reduction (permanent hair loss). That of course applies to any type of chemical relaxer. You must also get a high quality wide tooth come. Like a Mason Pearson, or any other that has smooth teeth. They do not have those sharp ridges inside the teeth. Those ridges rip away the scales that form your hair cuticle, cause irreversible damage. Also eventhough the instructions say not to exeed 20 min, that is just the manufacturer's way to ensure that less experienced stylists do not overprocess client's hair. That is fine, except that means underprocessing for some people. For example, my type 3b curly, frizzie hair, takes about 40 min. to process correctly. So if don't feel confortable enough doing it yourself, have it professionally done. Anyway good luck and beautiful hair!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Miamituscani1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2005 at 8:26am

Thank you so much!  You really are a life saver. My hair went for night to day. I also purchase the Redken Smooth Down products and I loved them. I had no trouble with the Rusk anticurl I have very long hair, but it is thin so it was easy to work with. The whole thing took me a little under 2 hours. I do plan on having a trim on Wednesday, I am sure I will be even happier then. I will post some pics then.

Christy

Sharyg11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sharyg11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2005 at 10:47am

I'm so happy to hear that. Where you able to find that store on Miller, or did you have to order on the internet?.

Once you get a trim your hair will look even better. I will be waiting for those pics.

Welcome to the world of frizz free, humidity resistant hair-LOL.

Remember to take good care of your hair, and to do protein treatments at least once a month.

Talk to you later.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Miamituscani1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2005 at 3:23pm
Hey sweetie I got it from that place on Miller thank you so much! Today I am getting my trim, I wonder what my stylist is going to say. LOL.  I LOVE MY HAIR. I honestly can't thank you enough!!! I am going to do a protein treatment this weekend. By the way 20 mins work get with my wavy hair. I hope to get pics today or Friday.
Sharyg11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sharyg11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2005 at 1:10am

I can't wait to see the pictures!. I am so happy for you. Let me know  how your hair looks after the trim.

P.S Don't do the protein treatment yet. Wait at least tree weeks. It will give your hair more time to re-harden and hold the straight shape.

Edited by Sharyg11
Sharyg11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sharyg11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2005 at 11:55am

Hey Miami, I am still waiting for those pics. What happened? how is your hair? Let me know.

Bye!

Perula05 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Perula05 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2005 at 2:22pm
Hi Sharyg11,

I just joined the forum, but I've been reading your comments and it sounds to me like you have good advice for us "curly" girls.

Have you ever got the "Japanese treatment" done? I have a friend that just got the treatment and her hair looks nice, but I wonder if she'll get any long term damage to her hair. Do you know anything about this treatment?

Thanks!

Perula
Sharyg11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sharyg11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2005 at 5:38pm

Hi Perula05, Welcome!!!

Unfortunately yes!. I had it done almost 3 years ago. It was a very bad experience. However I can not say that the treatment is bad. I just didn't do enough research about it. It is all about the stylist performing the procedure. In the hands of the right stylist you should have no problems. The thing is, there are very few stylist that are actually experts in the field. When I got mine done, the treatment was fearly new. At the begining I couln't be happier. I had super straight hair, that would stay that way no matter what (as long as I didn't get it completely wet). However, after the first 3 or 4 weeks, I noticed my scalp was getting dry. I could see my hairline had a white film. But I figured it would go away. Wrong! my hair started breaking off and falling out by the clumps. Every time I brushed my hair, my bathroom floor looked like a rug. I couldn't understand why. I was using the products I was told to use. I ended up with a bald spot on my frontal hair line. It took my hair 2 years and a big hair cut to finally recover.

All that  being said, done by an expert, that should never happen. I have since then learned alot about the procedure. First of all, stick to japanese brands ie: Liscio, Yuko etc. Stay away from american brands: Bio-ionic and Chi. I had the Bio-ionic done. It wasn't till much later that I found out that not all of them are the same. If you are going to have it done make sure you do your homework. Interview the stilyst. Make sure he is an expert in chemicall treatments, and specifically thermal reconditioning. Ask where did they get their training done. If they tell you that the company who sells them the product sent a team to train them, don't get it done there. The companies who sell the product in the US do not know the correct technique and the training they offer is incorrect. I tought that just because my stilyst had a certificate hanging on her wall  stating that she was trained to do Bio-ionic, she knew what she was doing. Don't get me wrong, my stylist is great, I still go to her for hair cuts and styling just not for chemicall treatments (unless is hair color). Their training should be received from an expert in the field. If they tell you that 2 people will be working on your hair, do not get it done there. That means they don't have enough experience or speed of hands to do the treatment. You will end up with two different textures on your hair. I had one side more damaged that the other.

Consider if it is worth it. This is very expensive, and you are kind of stuck with wearing your hair down all the time. If your hair is super curly, the difference on the new growth will be way too noticesable. And you will have to have your roots re-done every 3 to 4 months instead of every 6 to 8 months, like people who just have wavy or very loose curled hair. And they charge you almost the same just to do your roots.

Also the treatment is not designed to impart much shine to the hair. And the curlier your hair, the least shine it will have.

Personally I would never have the process done again. Even if it was done by an expert. I can get the same results with Rusk anti-curl and my Sedu flat iron. And I still have the option of styling my hair curly or straight. My hair comes out super straigth, but it has body. And I do it for $585 less. And I don't have to subject my hair to such a harsh treatment.

Go to verticalsinhair.com. The site is hosted by whom is considered to be the best thermal reconditioning expert in North America. You can find all the information you need, from what questions to ask, to which treatment to choose, and even what hair regimen to follow. Also tips on how the treatment should be done. That way when you interview your stilyst(s) you know which answers to look for. You can  read alot of horror stories, and get very helpfull tips.

Well I hope I didn't bore you. Overall, if your hair is not super curly, but more wavy, it is worth it to have the treatment done. If not then go with Rusk anticurl, Redken vertical or L'oreal X-tenso. You will get better results and save a bunch of money.

Good luck and beautiful hair.

Perula05 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Perula05 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2005 at 8:37am
Hi Shary!

You are the best!! What a great amount of information! After reading your reply, I decided almost right away that I won't get the Japanese straightening procedure done... no way Jose!! I prefer to follow your regimen to straighten it, but still have the choice to leave my hair naturally curly. Fortunately, my curls look better these days, since it's getting colder and drier here (I live in Atlanta). I will definetely buy the Sedu flat iron and the Redken line.

Thank you very much for your help.

Perula
Sharyg11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sharyg11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2005 at 3:27pm

Glad I could help! Hope the regimen works for you, and that your hair comes out as shiny and beautiful as mine. I will keep you posted if I find any other great hair products.

Welcome to the board girl!

I wish you beautifull healthy hair.

Perula05 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Perula05 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2005 at 7:40am
Thanks again Shary. Would you know what's the best product to keep your natural curls look nice, frizz-free and not sticky? I have used so many products, but so far I havent' found anything I love. Please help!

Perula
FunnyGirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FunnyGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2005 at 8:32am

Hey Sharyg11, I was reading about your experience with the thermal reconditiong procedure and I'm going through the same thing myself.  The first time I had it done was 2 years ago, the result was not super straight hair (I had to blow dry it to get it really straight), but still my hair did not fall off.  Then I went to get a touch up one year later with a different hairdresser.  This time my hair was completely straight, but now I'm practically shedding!  This is almost one year later after the last treatment (I had it done again on December of last year).  I was wondering what you did about the whole hair falling off thing.  Did you do anything special or did it just stop falling off?  Did your hair grow back (where you had the bald spots)?  I want to touch up my roots and I've found a hairdresser which is supposed to be really good.  She uses the Schwarzkopf's Strait Therapy line and I believe she was trained in Germany (where the brand is from).  Not only that but she's part of the Schwarzkopf team and teaches hair dressers the technique, in other words, she seems to be really good.  I really like the straight effect that the procedure gave my hair, at least I no longer have split ends, I'm just a little skeptical because I'm afraid my hair will keep falling off.  I haven't gone to the hair salon yet for an evaluation, but I plan to some time soon, what questions should I ask?  Any advice will help a lot!  Thanks. ^^

Here's the link to the product (it's the Strait Therapy line):

http://www.schwarzkopf-professional.com/int_henkel/schwarzko pf_com/index.cfm?pageid=464

From what I've read (doing a LOT of research) this line uses the Japanese technology but it's supposed to be milder, giving more natural looking results, but just as long lasting as the normal thermal reconditioning products.

Edited by FunnyGirl
Sharyg11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sharyg11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2005 at 10:53am

I am so sorry I took so long to answer. I live in Miami and just went through a major hurricane. My internet was down for 2 weeks and I just got it back.

Before you get it done, I would go to verticalsinhair.com and ask Steve if that is a good product. He is the number one expert on the matter and can guide you a little better.

To answer your question, yes, the hair on my bald spot grew back, It took forever but thank God it did. Use Nexxus Emergencee to stop the hair from falling. Also Go to Ebay, or Metrobeauty.com or justbeautyproducts.com and buy Alfaparf Semi di lino hair repair ampules (the blue ones). They are expensive, but totally worth it. One ampule gives me 2 treatments. Put it in your hair, and put on a shower cap. Go under a dryer or heat cap for 10 min. The results are amazing. They also have a line that is specifically designed to stop hair from falling, but I have never tried it. However these are Italian products and the quality is excellent. Use the Emergence Every other week and the ampules once a week. That will take care of the shedding, and it will equalize the porosity in your hair. I will make it look healthy again, and prevent further breakage or damage.

Well, let me know if you have any other questions.

Good luck and great hair.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic