Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Urgent! 1 week to fix hair. Think straw.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
chakchen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chakchen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Urgent! 1 week to fix hair. Think straw.
    Posted: July 23 2005 at 10:32pm

Help, please. My light ash brown (colored) hair is, when not dyed, an overall medium to light gray (not sure which, if you know what I mean. LOL).  It's EXTREMELY dry and limp.  I can pull it straight out on the sides, for fun and laughs, and it will remain there indefinitely.  I've used mostly Revlon Colorsilk in light ash brown (what my hair used to be) with minimal amount of self applied highlights on top.  I use this brand because someone told me it's very low in ammonia and not as drying.  I also use a box highlighter, also with no ammonia, and apply it after coloring.  Two things have happened over time:  The color fades quickly and it seems dryer than ever, no matter what color brand I use or whether it has ammonia, and the color looks "flat" without highlights.  What I'm wondering is if anyone can recommend a brand of light ash brown permanent color that actually helps hair, or at least lasts and gives shine. Same with a highlighter.  I have a Sally's a couple blocks away, but have never been there.  I don't have time for a salon and am going to an imporant event in one week that lasts two weeks. Thanks for hanging in there.

Edited by chakchen
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2005 at 7:55am
I wish I could help, but I don't know much about covering gray (not a pro).  I have heard gray hair has to be "softened" first to help it hold dye (which I think they use peroxide to do, but I don't know about it - anyone else know?)

The permanent dyes I know of all contain harsh ingredients that aren't going to do anything to "help" hair, especially if you say its already very dry.  Even semi permanents aren't "good" for it, they are just better than permanents healthwise.  Peroxide is actually one of the damaging ingredients, so if you say "think straw", I'm not sure any form of dying it is not going to make it much dryer.  Anyone else?

Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic