Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Rollerset gone bad, what did I miss?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Honeydoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honeydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rollerset gone bad, what did I miss?
    Posted: July 28 2005 at 5:36pm
Tuesday I decided to do a rollerset on my hair. Everything was fine. I used African Essence Setting Lotion and saturated my hair with it and put in 12 big red magnetics. I sat under my dryer for an hour until it was dry. But my hair felt so crispy afterwards. It did have nice bounce  but it felt dry afterwards. I had volume like you would believe but I think I might have done something wrong. Do I need to use something besides setting lotion? Is Lottabody better? Do I need oil or frizz serum? How do you keep it feeling moisturized??? Let me know because if I had pictures posted, I would have got so many laughs. (I was laughing my self!)
http://public.fotki.com/Honeydoo
pw: bombay
cheekyfa1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheekyfa1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2005 at 7:13pm
You might have used a little too much setting lotion. I heard if you put too much your hair will feel crispy.
cebnn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cebnn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2005 at 9:05pm
Thats what it sounds like to me, too much setting lotion. Try adding something for moisture to your hair also, not too much but a little should help you get a little more softness next time.

Fotki updated on 10/28 address in profile
afrolatina View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote afrolatina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2005 at 8:34am

Hi Honeydoo. 

My hair is relaxed and I do rollersets all the time.  I don't use setting lotion but it sounds to me like you may have used too much.

The important thing about roller sets is that the ends be wet so that they stick to the rollers.  You can use plain water or a mix of water and condish or water and setting lotion... (just keep a spray bottle) nearby to wet ends as needed.   Also, I find that I need to leave a little bit of condish in my hair (must feel a little slick) to get silky results when the hair is dry.  Also, lately, my hair was feeling a bit dry (after torturing it for mos w/ heat and probably the wrong products).  Long story short, my hair does well with oils (I have had good results with hot oil treatments before shampoo) but I experiemented with a tiny bit of oil on the ends before wrapping on rollers and this has been great.  I was using Hollywood Carrot Oil but any moisturizing product that you like would probably work.  Also applied a tiny bit after hair was dry for extra shine and more moisture (my hair is very porous). 

Easy way to bring down the volume is to wrap your hair with bobby pins (a doobie) or pull you hair back into a ponytail for a couple of hours, then remove. 

Pokahontas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pokahontas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2005 at 10:43am
I agree with everyone.  It sounds like you used too much setting lotion or you didn't dilute it enough.  I've never used the setting lotion you used but lottabody works very well.  I usually dilute mine though and maybe if you apply a small amount of moisturizing creme it will help moisturize your set better...I use Africa's Best Carrot creme.
Honeydoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honeydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2005 at 10:55pm

Ok, so I guess I got alittle excited with the setting lotion. Oops! I was thinking about using moisturizing creme but I didn't know how that would be with the setting lotion. I was also wondering about frizz serum. After you put moisturizing on, do any of you seal it in with anything? I'm determined to try this again!!

Oh, also, is mesh better than magnetic rollers??

Thanks for the tips!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pokahontas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2005 at 8:49am
Originally posted by Honeydoo Honeydoo wrote:

Ok, so I guess I got alittle excited with the setting lotion. Oops! I was thinking about using moisturizing creme but I didn't know how that would be with the setting lotion. I was also wondering about frizz serum. After you put moisturizing on, do any of you seal it in with anything? I'm determined to try this again!!

Oh, also, is mesh better than magnetic rollers??

Thanks for the tips!!

Don't feel bad.  I've gotten excited with the setting lotion before.  My hair came out hard and crunchy and it wouldn't move for nothing.  Everytime I laid my head down I could hear crunching.  I think magnetic rollers are better cuz you get a smoother set but I've had mine done on mesh and it came out nice also.  I haven't used those in forever.  Maybe I'll try that one day. I usually use frizz serum after my hair dries to smooth out the curls a little.  I don't think I've ever used it while wet but it should work ok.

I usually just use a small amount of moisturizer and comb thru cuz if you use too much it might weigh your curls down and take forever to dry.  Don't get excited with the moisturizer now.  Honestly though, I think that if you use less setting lotion you will be fine.  Good luck.

Honeydoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honeydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2005 at 2:06pm
Thanks Pocahontas! I'll probably try it again tomorrow. We'll see what happens!. I'll try my best to calm down on the setting lotion!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pokahontas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2005 at 7:18am
No problem.  Let us know how it turns out.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic