Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

"Emo" cuts... wicked. help!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
appgeneric View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote appgeneric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "Emo" cuts... wicked. help!
    Posted: July 28 2005 at 5:48pm
My hair's thick. Really thick, about twice as thick as a normal person's hair. They even might claim to have thick hair, the normal person. But they don't, not really. I'm the one with thick hair. Anyway...

It's thick. And it's wavy, and it's nice. Thick, but nice. It's to my shoulders now, with neglected side bangs that are past my nose now and a bunch of highlights and lowlights. Big contrast, black and blonde.

http://www.notpopular.com/profiles/pics/approved/SadLostEm oGirl_962.jpg

<< I'm in love with that hair. I really, really am. I know you can't see it very well but could you guess? Fill in the blanks? For me?

What would I ask for at the salon? I have no idea. I'd hate to bring in that picture with me, you can't see the hair very well. But I love it. I put Romeo and Juliet to shame, so much love I have for that hair.

I need help, seriously though. What would I ask for? Who would I go to? Would the average ol' hairstyler know how to do it? Would they laugh and point and snicker if I brought this picture in as an example? Where can I find better pictures of hairstyles like that? I'd appreciate it, oh great hair forum people.
adamsnez View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adamsnez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2005 at 9:44pm
My advice, search through Myspace.com profiles.. That website is FULL of emo kids and their haircuts. Seriousely. You just gotta find ONE emo kids profile, then look under their friends/comments and yo'll find a million more.

If you go in with that pic, the hairdresser cant work with much, nor if you ask for an "emo" cut. I tried (im a boy) and they didnt know, so i had to bring pictures. I']ll try and look for more pics of that later on, gotta go out now. hopefully i can find a goldmine of pics on myspace;)
adamsnez View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adamsnez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2005 at 10:02pm
EDIT: i cant figure out how to  post links in this forum!!! just copy+paste them in, and they WONT work, unless you remove the "space" in the ".jp g" and ".gi f"..  http://myspace-945.vo.llnwd.net/00118/54/92/1184 92945_l.jpg

http://myspace-968.vo.llnwd.net/00140/86/90/140140968_l.jp g (boy)

http://myspace-579.vo.llnwd.net/00162/97/55/162205579_l.jp g

http://myspace-171.vo.llnwd.net/00169/17/10/169700171_l.jp g

http://myspace-628.vo.llnwd.net/00163/82/65/163555628_l.gi f (boy)

only had like 10 extra minutes to look, sorry if none of these are what you're looking for. i just saw some different styles

[The image url is incorrect even after removing the spaces]

Edited by DaveDecker
Hal View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2005 at 8:11am
For those that don't know, Emo stands for "emotional" Its a kids that like to act all hyper sensitive, like the world is sooo bad and they get depressed over everything.  It's the newest thing for the dress in black crowd. 

adamsnez View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adamsnez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2005 at 2:01pm
Originally posted by Hal Hal wrote:

For those that don't know, Emo stands for "emotional" Its a kids that like to act all hyper sensitive, like the world is sooo bad and they get depressed over everything.  It's the newest thing for the dress in black crowd.

ya, right, stereotypical answer for emo <rollseyes>.

and this "dress in black crowd" better not mean goth stuff.
Lame answer you gave by the way
Debbie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Debbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2005 at 7:31pm

What is a "emo" cut? At first I thought it said ELMO cut.  LOL!  Thanks for the answer!  Debbie

Also, none of the links work.

Edited by Debbie
There is more to life than hair...Come on---Go get a life!!!!!!!
Shuriken View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shuriken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2005 at 11:12pm

Actually it's short for Emotive Hardcore and it's supposed to be a music genre, started in Chicago, I think.  Could be mixing up my cities.  Emo in reference to moody teenagers is an offshoot.  That's how teenagers are supposed to be though.
adamsnez View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adamsnez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2005 at 1:11am
Taken from URBANDICTIONARY.COM

"Emo" is not short for "Emotional." "Emo" does not mean Taking Back Sunday and Dashboard Confessional, despite what MTV has lead you to believe in the last few years. "Emo" is not sidebangs, tight pants, and male vocalists who sing like little girls about their failed relationships. "Emo" is not the use of diluted, meaningless metaphors and similes such as "My arms are like pinecones," and most definitely is not the rampant use of words such as "autumn," "heart," "knife," "bleeding," "leaves," and "razorblade."

I just thought I'd clear that up after all of these "definitions" in which I have encountered an unbelievable amount of people who try to pass off their blatantly false pretenses as fact, and are slowly infecting others with their high-horse, holier-than-thou bullsh*t. Because honestly, with your ridiculous definitions, Beethoven, George Gershwin, and Britney Spears are/was "emo bands."

Now, onto the real definition.

In the early 90s there was a movement in the hardcore genre that came to be known as "Emotive Hardcore," spearheaded by Rites Of Spring. Harder-core-than-thou kids, who swore by Dischord Records a la Minor Threat, actually coined the term "Emo" as something of a put-down for the kids who really liked Rites Of Spring, Indian Summer and this new wave of "Emotive" Hardcore bands. That's right, "Emo" was once not something kids called themselves. The field exploded outwards from there - Level-Plane Records has always been the most famous Emo label. Acts like Yaphet Kotto, I Hate Myself, Saetia, Hot Cross, A Day In Black And White, Funeral Diner, I Would Set Myself On Fire For You, You And I, and hosts of others came in the next decade. Most emo bands have since broken up, but there's still the occasional hold-out (again, the majority of Level-Plane Records' roster has been a procession of emo acts). Like most DIY hardcore/punk of the time, a majority found its way onto vinyl and not much else. Some people consider bands like Fugazi, and later Sunny Day Real Estate, a progression of emo, but personally, I don't quite follow that philosophy.

Often, more recently, this gets intertwined with post-hardcore, and understandably so - that's nothing to make an issue of, since well sh*t, at least it's close.

Since the late 90s, though, bands have been emerging in the vein of Taking Back Sunday, Dashboard Confessional, and the thousands of their clones. As far as I can tell, some lazy journalist somewhere, writing an article about them, decided "Well, f**k, no one knows what emo is anyways, so I'll call these bands "emo" - sounds more appealing than bubblegum pop rock..." and the spiral continued downwards into the current amalgomation of bands MTV has told everyone is "emo."

Somehow, people decided that "emo" meant "emotional," which is obviously bullsh*t, as 99% of bands make music to illicit emotion, which would make "emotional" a completely all-encompassing genre from classical to opera to pop to rap.

Hope that helps.
Taking Back Sunday, Senses Fail, and My Chemical Romance falls under the "horrible pop rock" genre, not the emo genre.

Rites of Spring is emo.

..///let's get back to talking about hair though :)

Edited by adamsnez
lil_ashie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lil_ashie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2005 at 7:03am

That hair style is very similar to that of Tegan and Sara. Go to www.teganandsara.com and you'll be able to get some pics off of their website.

It's such a sweet haircut if you can pull it off :)

Hal View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2005 at 2:20pm

Originally posted by adamsnez[/QUOTE adamsnez[/QUOTE wrote:

[/QUOTE]

I stand corrected, however, it's still basiclly the same thing very generation of kids do.  Try to be different by being just like somebody else.  BUT by all means not goth... God forbid, just so close to it that if it were not for the fact all the emo guys look like they are wearing their little sisters jeans, us old people couldn't tell the difference.

adamsnez View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adamsnez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2005 at 1:49am

God forbid, just so close to it that if it were not for the fact all the emo guys look like they are wearing their little sisters jeans, us old people couldn't tell the difference.

<shrugs>
all the girls i've met loved it. as long as you have a body that can fit them, go for it. If you're bigger, thennn dont try. common sense in the fashion world ..

and i believethe word you're trying to grasp, is "fashioncore", not "emo".
bangxbang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bangxbang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2005 at 8:06pm
I have a emo cut and I did it myself. ( I also had a myspace intill I had like dozens of strangers I dident know in my friends) it went from like wavy and killer curly like this (dyed)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v380/bob_esponja988/IMG_ 0038.jpg

Intill I had the balls to go out and buy a straghting iron, some hair serum and got it really light and slick, this is the best recent pic sorry.

Im gonna bleach the back later this week and mybe my bangs..

Edited by bangxbang
Carmichael View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carmichael Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2005 at 9:46pm

"For those that don't know, Emo stands for "emotional" Its a kids that like to act all hyper sensitive, like the world is sooo bad and they get depressed over everything.  It's the newest thing for the dress in black crowd."

That was very EMOtional response wasn't it?

BTW: Wasn't this the original Emo hair look?

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00009WVF3.01.MZZZZZZZ.jpg

"Your so vain, you probably think this post is about you."
Sarah_jo_41 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sarah_jo_41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2005 at 2:43am
well my hair was like that for a long time then it grew back out i loved it and i am a happy person cheerleader (hate to say prep but ya kinda) so they are not just for depressed people and even if.. dont be so harsh i know some one like that... ok knew he died a while ago he cut his wrist and he had short milatary style hair so not all people like that do have a cut like that. and maby you should be nicer!!!! p.s Sorry about all the spelling i am soo sleepy!
"She tryed to wash the tears away with her blood. the cuts on her wrist are nothin compaired to the cuts in her heart."
liveformusic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liveformusic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2005 at 8:49pm
Doubt you still need the pix BUUUUT in case you do, I just found some pix from Myspace.

Guy with the hairstyle

A girl
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic