Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

over priced hair salons

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ammonia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ammonia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: over priced hair salons
    Posted: August 05 2005 at 5:42am
so they wanted to charge me $80 an hour for color correction! some even $15 a track for hair extensions. then i go and look around other places and its like $65 for color correction period not per hour..and $5 a track for the extensions.. shop around people..shop around before you settle. some salon people look at you young and with questions and they are quicc to take advantage.
fatmoogas View Drop Down
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatmoogas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2005 at 7:02am
Very good advice, Ammonia.
sporty_chick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sporty_chick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2005 at 11:17pm

Yep, gr8 advice but too late....my sister already got ripped off.
The salon she went to charged her 110 for highlights!!! But atleast shes happy with them..

Much Luv
Your Canadian Buddy :)

snoopval View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snoopval Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2005 at 11:53pm
Hi everyone, i'm new here, this is my first post.  I am a hairstylist, and while shopping around is certainly good advice, i also think you get what you pay for.  Meaning, that you said your sister was charged 110 for hightlights which is alot but she's happy with them, sure she could have gotten them cheaper, but with the same result?  And while that is high for highlights, 80 dollars for a color correction is actually quite reasonable, i know stylists who charge a lot more for a color corrections, because corrections take a lot of time, and a lot of knowledge to do, thier are pigments you have to take out of the hair, while still having the hair be in good condition and reasonably close to a attractive color, and even after all that, it still might not be the color the client hoped it to be.  The best way to save money on color, is to always go to a professional so it won't need corrected as often.  And if your colorist messes up on your color, than she should correct it for free.
BrooKiki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrooKiki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2005 at 8:48pm
Originally posted by snoopval snoopval wrote:

I am a hairstylist, and while shopping around is certainly good advice, i also think you get what you pay for.  Meaning, that you said your sister was charged 110 for hightlights which is alot but she's happy with them, sure she could have gotten them cheaper, but with the same result?

I really, really agree with this.  Completely ignoring the price of products, I think there are two other things that really affect the price.  Number one, how much time is the stylist going to spend on the highlights?  Are they just going to slap on a few streaks or are they really going to put a lot of time and effort into placing them in the most flattering places?  Second, there's experience, education and, frankly, talent.  A stylist that puts a lot of effort into keeping up with the latest techniques is going to be able to ask more.  Also, an experienced and talented stylist is going to be in more demand and able to charge more.  Of course, I think there are stylists and salons that rely on a client's naivete and mark up their prices so that people will assume they're better than they are.  I think you just have to make yourself an educated consumer so you can judge what you're getting and then expect them to do the job properly.
snoopval View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snoopval Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2005 at 7:41am
Oh exactly, some people do overcharge and do crappy work.  And in my oppinion sometimes cheaper salons overcharge.  Sure it's cheaper but the service is bad, and an intelligent consumer would watch out for this.  Don't always go for the cheapest salon, sometimes you actually end up paying more than you would if you went to a higher end place.  Also look at things more on how much work it takes than how much you got meaning as a hairdresser i'm always told it's not what you take off it's what you leave on.  A couple hi-lights sometimes take more thought than a whole head full.
L281173 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote L281173 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2006 at 2:15pm
I would shop around.  Soemtimes, when a stylist or salon has a strong specialty in a certain arena, they look to gouge consumers. 
one classy, sassy female
x-littleme-x View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote x-littleme-x Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2006 at 11:15am
I have never been to a proper hairdressers, stylist or barbers, well only when i was very very young! Its a l ong story but basically the salon my hairdresser worked in closed and moved elsewhere but she worked out of the shop and went to peoples houses to cut hair. I was very young but my mum got to make friends and now she comes over for dinner and to cut hair. I dont live in america so I dont understand your dollars but my highlights were £30! They look good, I keep getting compliments and that is quite cheap when you compare it to other places!
PurpleBubba View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PurpleBubba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2006 at 4:30pm
There are good and bad stylists at all price levels and all types of salons.

Perhaps asking people in your area with good looking hair would be a good option?
Hopefully you'll find some people who have not only colored but have had to get color correction.

Another option is to go to salons that offer free consultations. Hopefully the stylist will have some sort of portfolio of their work to show.

I do agree that in most cases it is best to leave color correction up to a pro. Because if you don't know what you are doing you're not only going to spend the money on store colors but eventually you'll need to get it fixed. Plus if you're trying to keep your hair at a certain length or grow it longer you may end up needing cuts or trims to get rid of the overprocessed hair when it starts to bug you.

I'm not saying that you cannot fix your own color at home. I'm just saying that if you have any doubts as to whether you can fix it yourself you should go to the pro first. Especially if you want to keep your hair as healthy as possible.

ladyflash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladyflash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2006 at 4:41pm
I agree with purple bubba. I work at a very high end hair salon and while we charge more than alot of other salons some of our stylist aren't that great while others are terrific and some are good at one thing but maybe not so in another. Ask around and find who would be best for your hair and style choice, then worry about the price. You can find the most talented people who won't charge an arm and a leg
CHECK OUT MY PHOTOS! My Fotki Album
auramae View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote auramae Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2006 at 10:35am
Supply and demand. 

I charge the prices I charge because I can.  As long as I have an appointment book that is full, I can charge whatever the market will bear. 
As a hairdresser, you can only do so much hair in a day.  the only way to make more income (or get a raise) is to raise prices. 

Many high-end salons have people on staff who charge lower prices (ususally because they are less experienced or less in demand).  
Get Some Hairapy - a hairdresser's prescription for happiness
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic