Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

MTG; What is this?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
smahone2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smahone2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: MTG; What is this?
    Posted: August 16 2005 at 9:17am
Can any of you ladies tell me what MTG is, and where I can get it? Also tell me what it has done for you.  Does it really work?  Thanks so much
kareflow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kareflow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2005 at 9:33pm

DO A SEARCH TO FIND OUT MORE ABOUT THIS PRODUCT!! ALL I KNOW IS : ITS USED ON HORSES, IT CONTAINS SULFUR AND MANY PEOPLE HAVE REPORTED EXCELLENT GROWTH RESULTS FROM IT.

I HAVE BEEN USING IT FOR ABOUT 4 MONTHS OFF AND ON. I GOT ABOUT 3 INCHS OF NEW GROWTH.  CHECK OUT MY FOTKI TO SEE THE PICS...THIS IS THE FASTEST MY HAIR HAS EVER GROWN.

smahone2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smahone2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2005 at 8:26am
Ok, thanks.  It just seemed a little odd that people were using a horse product to grow their hair, but if it works then what can I say.  I checked out you pics and you did receive a good bit of growth.  Congrats on that!!!
Hair Goddess View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hair Goddess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2005 at 8:07pm
Is this product safe for humans?  I sure would like to try it.  I purchased Mane 'n Tail this past weekend, but was later told that this is a very diluted version of the one original for horses.
Honeydoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honeydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2005 at 9:22pm

MTG was originally made for humans with skin problems. I guess people in the horse market tried it and saw how it worked for horses and this seemed to be more marketable for the company. As far as I know it is safe for humans. I've heard of very few having a reaction to it but majority have great results, as with any product.

I have seen other hair sites where there is thread after thread arguing about the use of this product. I work in an animal hospital and have asked the vets I work for about this product.Two women I work with have horses and they use it for their horse and for themselves. One of the women is in her 50s and has been using it for 30 years. She still has very thick healthy hair. The other women is in her 20s and has thick hair to her waist. They have seen no problems with it. The main ingredient is sulfur.

Another debate was the fact that it does not say it's for human use on the bottle. However, at the hospital I work for we use an antibiotic cream that doesn't say it's for human use, but it works better than neosporin in dogs and in humans. It's amazing how many things are interchangeable from humans to animals. All in all, I wouldn't mind trying it. I use Mane n' Tail and love it.

http://public.fotki.com/Honeydoo
pw: bombay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hair Goddess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2005 at 10:30am

Good news gals!

I wrote one of the main companies that made this product MTG and asked them details about this product.

I received an email this a.m. and it reads:

Thank you for your email regarding Original M-T-G and human use.  We too have been hearing about the wonderful growth people are seeing.

I understand and appreciate your request for further information regarding human use of Original M-T-G.  Let me begin by giving you a bit of background on the product and company. 

As you may already know, Original M-T-G was originally formulated by a barber for use on psoriases, dandruff and dry skin on his customers.  This was in the 1930’s and that product is essentially the same formula that we are currently using.  He also started marketing this formula for use on skin problems for horses.  When he sold the company, the new owners pursued the animal market, where it has remained. 

During the 14 years that I have owned Shapley’s, I have spoken to several people who have used it successfully to treat skin problems on humans.  Over the years, we have received reports of many others using it with no negative effects. 

When I was first made aware that people were using it recently for growth purposes, I was interested to see what results they would obtain.  As this has not been our intended market, Shapley’s has not performed any efficacy testing for human hair growth. What I am hearing and reading is that people are getting good growth from using Original M-T-G.  Because of the results I have seen, I have begun research on marketing it to the human market. This, of course, will take time and effort, and any feedback that we can receive will be helpful and appreciated in bringing the best product to the market.

Shapley’s is very conscientious of what we formulate for animal use and are recognized in the marketplace for using the finest quality ingredients. I can tell you that the current formulation doesn’t contain anything that is known to have detrimental effects on humans or animals, unless it is an allergic reaction.  (The ingredients are petroleum distillates, sulfur, zinc sterate, cade oil and glycerine). As recommended and stated on the bottle, we always suggest performing a patch test for sensitivity on any new product before use.  People have been using it on their animals for almost 70 years with unbelievable success.  The reported negative reaction using Original M-T-G since I have owned the company is less than 1%.  

I hope this helps to answer some of your concerns. Please let me know if you have any questions, concerns or feedback.  I will be happy to answer them to the best of my knowledge and ability.

Best regards,

Cindy S. Carfore
President, Shapley, Ltd.
11650 Chitwood Dr.
Fort Myers,  FL  33908
Phone: 239-415-2275
Toll Free: 800-982-2017
Fax: 239-415-2277
Experience the Shapley's Difference online today at www.shapleys.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hair Goddess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2005 at 10:31am

I HTH.  I will be purchasing this product today!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hair Goddess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2005 at 10:35am
Originally posted by Honeydoo Honeydoo wrote:

MTG was originally made for humans with skin problems. I guess people in the horse market tried it and saw how it worked for horses and this seemed to be more marketable for the company. As far as I know it is safe for humans. I've heard of very few having a reaction to it but majority have great results, as with any product.

I have seen other hair sites where there is thread after thread arguing about the use of this product. I work in an animal hospital and have asked the vets I work for about this product.Two women I work with have horses and they use it for their horse and for themselves. One of the women is in her 50s and has been using it for 30 years. She still has very thick healthy hair. The other women is in her 20s and has thick hair to her waist. They have seen no problems with it. The main ingredient is sulfur.

Another debate was the fact that it does not say it's for human use on the bottle. However, at the hospital I work for we use an antibiotic cream that doesn't say it's for human use, but it works better than neosporin in dogs and in humans. It's amazing how many things are interchangeable from humans to animals. All in all, I wouldn't mind trying it. I use Mane n' Tail and love it.

Hi Honeydoo,

Do you find fast growth rate with Mane 'n Tail?  I just bought some as I mentioned before this past weekend.

~*Hair Goddess*~

Honeydoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honeydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2005 at 11:10am
In comparison to other things I have tried, yes. I use both the shampoo and conditioner and what I find is I have less shedding and breakage so I retain more length. My hair feels alot stronger when I use it consistently. I have not use MTG yet, but I am extremely tempted to get it. Mane n Tail is one of my staple products now!!
http://public.fotki.com/Honeydoo
pw: bombay
KBaby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KBaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2005 at 2:32am
Originally posted by kareflow kareflow wrote:

DO A SEARCH TO FIND OUT MORE ABOUT THIS PRODUCT!! ALL I KNOW IS : ITS USED ON HORSES, IT CONTAINS SULFUR AND MANY PEOPLE HAVE REPORTED EXCELLENT GROWTH RESULTS FROM IT.

I HAVE BEEN USING IT FOR ABOUT 4 MONTHS OFF AND ON. I GOT ABOUT 3 INCHS OF NEW GROWTH.  CHECK OUT MY FOTKI TO SEE THE PICS...THIS IS THE FASTEST MY HAIR HAS EVER GROWN.

Which products are you using?  I'm looking at their website right now and I see so many products!  I'm assuming what you all are talking about is Original M-T-G.

Original M-T-G (The ULTIMATE Mane & Tail Conditioner/Skin Treatment/Hair Growth Producer. A MUST FOR EVERY HORSE OWNER!
     Shapley's Original M-T-G has proven results after just one application! Use as a leave-in conditioner/detangler and for promoting mane and tail hair growth. Use on damaged, chewed-off tails to rapidly grow length. Use on long tails to enhance fullness, condition and retain length. Can produce tail growth over two inches in a month! M-T-G will also eliminate grass and urine stains.

Original M-T-G is also a dermatitis treatment recommended by veterinarians for a variety of skin problems including: fungus, rain rot, girth itch, scratches, dandruff and tail rubbing. It offers quick relief and visible hair growth that can be seen in 3-5 days!
     Original M-T-G's never-been-duplicated, versatile formula will be the best product you'll ever purchase! Available in 32.oz. and 6 oz. bottles. $16.95 for 32oz.
)& Natural Elegance (An intensive, therapeutic conditioner for skin, coat, manes and tails that has to be tried to be believed! Designed for horses, our unique formula produces superior softness and shine even when rinsed in cold water. Vital for repairing and preventing coat damage. Dry, coarse, brittle hair becomes soft, supple and silky! Only a small amount of this highly concentrated conditioner is necessary to produce a natural, healthy shine. Dull, lifeless hair coats will rejuvenate instantly! Manes and tails will comb out immediately! One application keeps horses looking show-ready for four or five days. Available in 32 oz. and 6 oz. bottles.).

HHC began 08/05, BC 11/05. Healthy & nearly BSL 02/07!
Renee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Renee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2005 at 4:02pm
its the original MTG. get the smaller size so you can see if it works for you. me, i stopped using it cos i cant stand the smell

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hair Goddess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2005 at 7:00pm

Hello Gals,

I've used MTG now for about 10 days.  I see improvement in my hair.  It's thicker and does not shed when wet anymore.

I can't believe the growth because I haven't even used it in 1 month yet.  I'll keep you informed.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hair Goddess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2005 at 7:04pm
Originally posted by KBaby KBaby wrote:

Which products are you using?  I'm looking at their website right now and I see so many products!  I'm assuming what you all are talking about is Original M-T-G.

Original M-T-G (The ULTIMATE Mane & Tail Conditioner/Skin Treatment/Hair Growth Producer. A MUST FOR EVERY HORSE OWNER!
     Shapley's Original M-T-G has proven results after just one application! Use as a leave-in conditioner/detangler and for promoting mane and tail hair growth. Use on damaged, chewed-off tails to rapidly grow length. Use on long tails to enhance fullness, condition and retain length. Can produce tail growth over two inches in a month! M-T-G will also eliminate grass and urine stains.

Original M-T-G is also a dermatitis treatment recommended by veterinarians for a variety of skin problems including: fungus, rain rot, girth itch, scratches, dandruff and tail rubbing. It offers quick relief and visible hair growth that can be seen in 3-5 days!
     Original M-T-G's never-been-duplicated, versatile formula will be the best product you'll ever purchase! Available in 32.oz. and 6 oz. bottles. $16.95 for 32oz.
)& Natural Elegance (An intensive, therapeutic conditioner for skin, coat, manes and tails that has to be tried to be believed! Designed for horses, our unique formula produces superior softness and shine even when rinsed in cold water. Vital for repairing and preventing coat damage. Dry, coarse, brittle hair becomes soft, supple and silky! Only a small amount of this highly concentrated conditioner is necessary to produce a natural, healthy shine. Dull, lifeless hair coats will rejuvenate instantly! Manes and tails will comb out immediately! One application keeps horses looking show-ready for four or five days. Available in 32 oz. and 6 oz. bottles.).

Hi Kbaby,

Have you used the Natural Elegance?  Can you tell me how it's worked for you?

Thanks

KBaby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KBaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2005 at 8:08pm
Originally posted by Hair Goddess Hair Goddess wrote:

Kbaby,

Have you used the Natural Elegance?  Can you tell me how it's worked for you?

Thanks

Hey Hair Goddess!  I don't use Natural Elegance, sorry - I don't even know what it is!  Maybe you can tell me something about it!!

HHC began 08/05, BC 11/05. Healthy & nearly BSL 02/07!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hair Goddess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2005 at 9:08pm
Nope..sorry.  I though you'd know because you mentioned it in this post.
LatteTresses View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LatteTresses Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2005 at 8:16pm
Originally posted by Hair Goddess Hair Goddess wrote:

Hello Gals,

I've used MTG now for about 10 days.  I see improvement in my hair.  It's thicker and does not shed when wet anymore.

I can't believe the growth because I haven't even used it in 1 month yet.  I'll keep you informed.

Hello Hair Goddess,

I have heard many people complain of the smell of MTG. Do you mask the smell with another product? Also how often do you apply the MTG to your hair. Has it caused any adverse affects? Do you apply it to your hair or scalp? Finally do you have natural or relaxed hair. I ask this because I was wondering if it would cause breakage on relaxed hair because of the chemical base. Thanks Hun!

Edited by LatteTresses

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hair Goddess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2005 at 1:09pm

Hi LatteTresses
Welcome to the board.

I like MTG.  The smell doesn't bother me.  I use it twice a week.  My special days are Thursday and Sunday.  I wash daily, but only use MTG on those special days.

My hair is natural.  I don't need to relax my 2B hair.

HTH,

CAUTION:  If used, you just might see new growth.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hair Goddess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2005 at 1:16pm

Thanks for sharing your photos.. nice growth

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LatteTresses Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2005 at 1:16pm

Thanks hair Goddess,

New growth would be absolutely great! Sorry but do you apply it to your hair or scalp? Thanks

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LatteTresses Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2005 at 1:20pm

Hi Kareflow.

I was wondering if your hair is relaxed or natural? It seems that everyone that has tryed this product has natural hair so no one with relaxed hair has given their story. I'm wondering if maybe relaxed hair would react negatively because of the chemicals. Thanks

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic