Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Perioral Dermatitis

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
kimberlily View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kimberlily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Perioral Dermatitis
    Posted: August 17 2005 at 8:08am

I've been suffering from perioral dermatitis for about 2 years now. I hate my skin, and I want it to go away. It is all around my nose, and it is red, flaky, and sore. A year ago, my doc put me on antibiotics, and it went away for a little while, but it came back a few months later, worse than before.

Because I'm pregnant, I can't use antibiotics to treat it. I've tried cutting out products containing laureth/laurel sulfates and petroleum derived ingredients, which are supposedly triggers for the problem. I use a very light moisturizer. I've tried tea tree oil, and all it did was make my skin even redder.

What I've read online is that it is most likely a form of acne, which makes sense, since women who get this are prone to oiliness and acne, so I'm trying salycilyc acid on it. The flakiness is getting better, but it is by no means cleared up. I'm hoping that this will work, but I'm not holding my breath.

Once my baby is born (any day now) I will see my doctor about going on antibiotics to clear this up, and see if it is possible since I plan on nursing him. Hopefully I can make it go away for good, as it looks horrible.

In the meantime, if anyone has any experience and/or suggestions for how I can treat this on my own, please share!

aseya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aseya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2005 at 2:14pm
Hey!
I get seborrheic dermatitis when I'm really stressed out. My dr gave me some steriod creams to use to take down the inflammation (my upper cheeks get red, swollen and flakey) but I didn't want to use it cuz at the time I was breaking out alot and I know that prolonged use of the steriods can  cause the skin to thin adn stuff. So I went online and did a search and one of the sites I found said to try aloe vera gel. I used it 3x a day and it really took down the red and it also moisturised my skin so it didnt flake as much.
 so maybe you could try that or do another search. I just searched 'alternative treatments for soborrheic dermatitis' and that came up, so yo ucould try the same thing. Good luck! Let me know if you find anything!
kimberlily View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kimberlily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2005 at 9:46am
steroid creams are known to cause perioral dermatitis... that's how I ended up with it in the first place . I've tried some natural remedies, including tea tree oil, but none of them have done anything more than irritate my skin more.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic