Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Stevie Nicks

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
laststar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laststar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stevie Nicks
    Posted: August 25 2005 at 9:40am

I have always liked her long hair.

Stevie

Stevie 2

fatmoogas View Drop Down
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatmoogas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2005 at 10:11am
Don't think much of that is hers these days.
Hellfrozeover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hellfrozeover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2005 at 12:17pm
Why wouldn't it be? Your hair doesn't just fall off when you pass 45 and there hasn't been much change in length so it probably is all hers.
Karen Shelton View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2005 at 12:19pm

Stevie like many other celebrities and stars wears lots of hair extensions and add-on tresses. It doesn't mean she is losing her hair...although she did go through a bad perm phase...it just means a lot of her hair was probably not grown directly from her scalp but added to it from other sources.

That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)
Tyranna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tyranna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2005 at 1:18pm

Maybe but she has always had rather long hair and desptie the perms and coloring phases, she maintains a consistent look.  Usually evidence that a celebrity is using extensions includes inconstent changes in hair lengths and styles and/or the hair laying rather unnaturally (a la Paris Hilton).

Nick's hair looks quite natural.

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2005 at 2:34pm
According to her hairstylist.. Stevie does wear extensions on a regular basis and has off and on for years.  Kyra Sedgeweck always wears extensions...has for years...but doesn't want anyone to know.  Gena Davis wears them as does Brendan Frasier and Jennifer Love Hewitt.  For most stars the goal is to make it look like their hair and not extensions.  So in Stevie's case...the fact that it looks so natural is kudos for her hairdresser.
That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)
Tyranna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tyranna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2005 at 11:33pm
Really?  What I don't understand is rather than depend on extensions for literally years - would it not be simpler to grow one's hair out?  Kyra Sedgewick doesn't even have particularly long hair nor is it in some kind of spectacular hair style.
loveshorthair View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loveshorthair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2005 at 11:50pm
While length is the primary goal of extensions, it does add fullness.  Many people cannot grow their hair long and have it look full (you know the genetics thing)
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2005 at 1:10am

Actually there is this phenomena known as "actress hair" which also impacts rock stars and male actors.  In the case of Kyra, because she goes through so many changes for every movie role or TV role, her hair is under constant assault by blow dryers and hot rollers or curling irons and back combing and styling and products....etc etc.  The result is hair that is constantly stressed and thus is damaged or doesn't grow or starts to thin out.  And yes...hair extensions are used as much for fullness as for length in the Hollywood hair set.  So it is very common for actors and actresses to use extensions to maintain an ongoing image rather than to do the Paris thing and constantly change.

Kramer View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kramer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2005 at 9:31am

That bums me out about Kyra, one of my favorite actresses. Although I figured she had to do something to beef up her previously thin hair, I didn't want to acknowledge it. In a recent episode of her TV show "The Closer," one of her fellow cops was enamored with her hair, which did look spectactular. Oh well, if it took fake hair to help get Kyra a TV series, I'm all for it.

Great hair from a movie:

http://www.imdb.com/gallery/ss/0245479/Ss/0245479/010.jpg?pa th=pgallery&path_key=Sedgwick,%20Kyra

rardman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rardman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2005 at 11:21am
Originally posted by Kramer Kramer wrote:

That bums me out about Kyra, one of my favorite actresses. Although I figured she had to do something to beef up her previously thin hair, I didn't want to acknowledge it.

That "bums you out"? I really don't get this sort of reaction, which I read alot of lately with regard to celebs augmenting with extensions(which many have been doing for years).

I can not think of any other industry where image and appearance are so key. Talent is a huge plus for longevity, but it's pretty clear lately that you can be without a drop of talent and still be a huge star so long as you have good handlers, agents, and stylists.

So, many stars wear "fake" hair. Who cares, so long as the end result is a great head of hair? Sure there are botched extension jobs out there,and there's bad plastic surgery, and poor wardrobe choices. It's life. Trial and error.

Some people act like they've been "cheated" when they find out a star has done a bit of enhancing. "I didn't want to acknowledge it"???

Shes doing what she feels she needs to, or just wants to, to be the best she can be. I think she looks stunning lately. I hope it dosen't come as a huge shock or disappointment to anyone that her lips are not "naturally" crimson, or her lashes not "naturally" jet black... 

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2005 at 12:25pm
Actually, what is amazing to me is how much work all of the actors and actresses have to go through on a constant basis not just to deal with having great hair but diet (so many are on that Zone delivery plan out there at $50/day) and constant exercise and facials, manicures, pedicures, tanning, waxing, eyebrow design, teeth whitening and on and on.  It is exhausting to me to think about all the things that they go through to look good and be able to compete.  Hair extensions are the least of their worries in many cases.  And yes...talent is often the bottom of the list for being successful but the best hairdresser and makeup person can make all the difference.
AggiePam View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AggiePam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2005 at 6:58pm

Karen wrote:                                                                       "actresses have to go through on a constant basis not just to deal with having great hair but diet (so many are on that Zone delivery plan out there at $50/day) and constant exercise and facials, manicures, pedicures, tanning, waxing, eyebrow design, teeth whitening and on and on.  It is exhausting to me to think about all the things that they go through to look good and be able to compete."

That sounds like a lotta work! Sometimes I'm really glad to be just a "regular" person!!

Edited by AggiePam
Tyranna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tyranna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2005 at 12:23am
"That "bums you out"? I really don't get this sort of reaction, which I read alot of lately with regard to celebs augmenting with extensions(which many have been doing for years)."

Thing is with all the fake augmentation that goes on (not just the hair), it just gets harder and harder to relate to any of the unreality coming out of Hollywood.  I mean nothing is real anymore.

I suppose the 'actress hair' thing might explain why someone like Nicole Kidman went from gloriously lush locks to scraggly thin washed-out hair style, but Kyra Sedgewick?  She's had the same look for years - I have never noticed her to adopt a really damaging style - like Gwen Steffani or someone similar. 

Extensions are cool and all, but you think these actresses would demand a reversal in process - use the wigs and other artificial enhancements for their roles and save the real hair for real life.
rardman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rardman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2005 at 9:13am

[QUOTE=Tyranna************

Thing is with all the fake augmentation that goes on (not just the hair), it just gets harder and harder to relate to any of the unreality coming out of Hollywood.  I mean nothing is real anymore.
I suppose the 'actress hair' thing might explain why someone like Nicole Kidman went from gloriously lush locks to scraggly thin washed-out hair style, but Kyra Sedgewick?  She's had the same look for years - I have never noticed her to adopt a really damaging style - like Gwen Steffani or someone similar. 

Extensions are cool and all, but you think these actresses would demand a reversal in process - use the wigs and other artificial enhancements for their roles and save the real hair for real life.

**************************************End Quote

Personally, I have never looked to "relate" to Hollywood, and I've certainlly never sought out "reality" from what it churns out. I think that is the point. It is the land of illusion and make believe. When I buy People magazine, spend ten bucks at a theatre, or flip on Entertainment Tonight, what I want/expect to get is purely entertainment. I see more than enough reality every day. The Hollywood thing is the escape from daily life, not what I aspire to.

This is not a new thing. Marilyn Monroe jumps to mind awfully quick. Jean Harlow before her. Yada, yada. These women and all their peers were primping, preening, enhancing,and bleaching decades ago. All that has changed is the technology. I think it's a pretty safe bet that had quailty extensions been an option for Miss Monroe , we'd have have pics of her with alot more different looks.

And, I feel you perfectlly made the point for why stars do feel the need to constantlly go the distance where their appearance is concerned. Your reference to Nicole Kidman's"scraggly thin washed-out hairstyle" hits it right on the head. She did look pretty bad for awhile, and that is what many people currentlly remember .Why? Because she is in the game of selling her image, and when it's bad, people sure sit up and notice. These are people who often can't go to the store without having flash bulbs go off. Therefore, it's almost more important that they look their best when they are not on set. Pictures of them circulate alot more from real life, then reel life.

I say, if you're in the business of selling illusion, you better be good at it. Utilize whatever tools are at hand and maximize your potential. As we have all seen, if you don't, people remember.

Edited by Karen Shelton
rardman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rardman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2005 at 9:14am
Sorry all for the above, not sure why it posted like that(with the box).
Tyranna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tyranna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2005 at 12:04pm
All what you say is true - but people have always looked to Hollywood for fashion inspirations.  Unfortunately the problem is that with the extraordinarily high exposure Hollywood gets - those unrealistic standards get passed down to the rest of us.  This is most apparent with the weight issue where women size two and zeros seem to be the norm in Hollywood. 

Go to the color board and read all the disasters of people trying to get that Gwen Steffani look.  lol
fatmoogas View Drop Down
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatmoogas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2005 at 4:18am
Wouldn't like to see anyone here following the Nicole Kidman/Lindsay Lohan diet procedures!
Kuroneko View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kuroneko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2005 at 5:03am

Of course, the media feeds a lot of it, too-- they say all these stars are getting too thin and need to put on weight, yet if one of them does gain a little, they talk about her like she's fat -_- .

More awesome than a manatee!
Vicky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vicky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2005 at 5:24am
Not just fat, they are ALWAYS pregnant (according to media) if a female celeb gains any weight. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic