Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

$%^&#@#

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Tyranna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tyranna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: $%^&#@#
    Posted: August 27 2005 at 12:37am
Watched an episode of 'What Not to Wear' tonight and the lady in question in the episode had lovely long, long hair - healthy, shiny, with a slight natural wave even.

Well after they did the clothes segment, she went to the hair dresser and - you guessed it - they lopped off most of it up to the stereotypical just-below-the-shoulders length.

I mean, yeah she could have used a cut, trim, even layering and highlighting to update her look, which is the point of the show.  But why does it always boil down to loss of length?  Why do hair dressers so despise any length of hair beyond just below the shoulders?  And this lady was even tall.  I, as  a shorter person have always been told tht longer hair is only suitable on taller people.  Honestly I think if Anna Kournakova sat down in this hair dresser's chair, he'd have cut off all her hair as well.

The hair dresser on that show is a good one and the lady's hair did look nice.  But I am betting he could have easily come up with a longer-length hairstyle.
PurpleBubba View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PurpleBubba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2005 at 1:01am
I was going to watch it but I really didn;t want to, and at the beginning when the guy said a snotty comment about her Indian braids, Saquagewia? that's when I changed the channel which I'm glad I did because Monk was on.

You know it's pretty obvious what's going to happen when at the beginning of the show they say "_________ hasn't cut her hair in ____ years"

I hope I don't watch it.
Delenn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Delenn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2005 at 6:18am
I hate shows like that, I'll never understand their aversion to long hair.  I even had a stylist tell me that he doesn't understand why people with "ultra long" hair (as he calls anything past bra strap length) come to him and expect to leave looking different without having it all cut off.  I just looked at him with disbelief, there's *tons* he could do to give someone a new look without butchering a person's hair.  He's supposedly award winning, too.  I never went back.
PurpleBubba View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PurpleBubba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2005 at 6:31am
You can cut less than this much || off of someone's hair and change the way it looks.
Kalika View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kalika Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2005 at 7:10am
meh, on makeover shows they always follow the current trends (heck, thats what they're SUPPOSED to do), and the trend is for women to have shorter hair.  That's all, nothing more, nothing less.  If it was done 20 years ago, she'd have a puffy perm instead.
laststar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laststar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2005 at 9:47am
I saw that episode too,  and sort of knew what was going to happen.  I think thay know it is going to get chopped off when they agree to go on the show.  What a pitty,  she did have some awesome long hair.
Tyranna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tyranna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2005 at 12:21pm
I have seen a few episodes where the ladies refused to go short.  One had really nice long blond hair and she made the stylist (I think his name is Nick?) actually shape it and he did a really nice job.  Although I noticed that he complained about all the work he had to do on her - so maybe this is the real reason hair stylists prefer to chop everything off.  They don't want to take the time to work with long hair.

Hair stylists seem to forget the second word - STYLIST does not equate to hair shortener. 

Had a friend who used to have longer hair - she has a natural long curl to it and her stylist actually took the time to layer and style her long hair to the way her hair naturally curled.  End result - a thick, long-layer style that looked like she either had it loosely permed, or  rolled it on a daily basis.   In reality all she really did was finger comb it.  Coincidentally her hair dresser was one of those who had like a three-month waiting period just to get to see him.  The good ones are indeed hard to find.

This episode was unfortunate because this lady had very healthy, long undamaged hair.  LOL, and that is more than I can say for myself.
catt_grrl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote catt_grrl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2005 at 5:43pm
Originally posted by Tyranna Tyranna wrote:

I, as  a shorter person have always been told tht longer hair is only suitable on taller people.

Just curious--do you believe that?

Edited by catt_grrl
KB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2005 at 9:40pm

It really annoys me when long hair people call hair just above the shoulders "stereotypical".  Um, excuse me.  Not all of us look good with hair down to our tailbones.  The longest I ever had my hair was bra length and the look did nothing for me.  It wasn't until I cut it to shoulder length that my hair started to have body and movement.  I think what's important is that the style suits the person.

Anyway, I can understand the frustration of watching these makeover shows where an overzealous stylists hacks off too much hair.  I think, if a person looks good with super long hair and that hair is healthy, why do something so drastic as cut it all off?  It takes years and years to grow it and it's such a shame when it's gone.

Just curious to know how the woman liked her new "hairdo".

laststar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laststar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2005 at 10:26pm

I agree with  KB and the others, She had spectaculare, hair,although, she let them cut it and that was too bad.  The worste was when on Maury Pauvich this lady had past Knee length, ( I was so jealeous) And they cut it into a bob . It was so nice just flowing past her knees and  presure from others made her cut it,  I will try not to let this happen to My long hair    is just so awesome how can you cut such beauty.

Edited by The Last Starfighter
Amazing Grace View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amazing Grace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2005 at 12:26pm
Originally posted by catt_grrl catt_grrl wrote:

I, as  a
shorter person have always been told tht longer hair is only suitable
on taller people.

I think that long hair on a short person can emphasize how short they are, just because of the effects of proportions or something. The words to explain what I'm thinking just aren't coming to mind. But basically, the hair length vs the distance from the ground causes us to notice the height. It's like the theory that short people shouldn't wear long tunic-type shirts because it emphasizes how short their legs are.

But you can only disguise/manipulate how tall you appear to be to a certain degree, so why worry about what society says about long hair on short people?
Tyranna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tyranna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2005 at 2:17pm
"It really annoys me when long hair people call hair just above the shoulders "stereotypical".  Um, excuse me.  Not all of us look good with hair down to our tailbones.  The longest I ever had my hair was bra length and the look did nothing for me.  It wasn't until I cut it to shoulder length that my hair started to have body and movement.  I think what's important is that the style suits the person."

I did not mean this as an insult to people who wear this hair at this length or any length for that matter.  Hair styles are always a personal choice.  And I was referring to just below the shoulders - a few inched above the bra line.  When you are talking 'above the shoulders' - that's not long really long hair, but mid-length.

Look at Angelina Jolie - she wears her hair a few inches above the bra line and she looks great. 

I used the word 'stereotypical' because in the eyes of about 99.9% of all professional stylists and so called fashion 'experts' define long hair at this particular length and anything longer is usually treated as an abberation.   And that is the target of my criticism - hair stylists, not people who chose to wear their hair either longer or shorter.  And in this episode the stylist did not even entertain working with a longer style hair length.  It was an automatic - "let's chop it all off".

Tyranna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tyranna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2005 at 2:25pm
Originally posted by catt_grrl catt_grrl wrote:

I, as  a shorter person have always been told tht longer hair is only suitable on taller people.

No.  Because according to that 'logic', all short people would have short hair, people of mid-height would have shoulder-length and tall people would have longer hair.  And that regimentation is absurdly ridiculous. 

Jane Seymour always has had very long hair and she is only 5'4".  And I have never heard anyone say that her hairstyle just did not suit her.  Halle Berry and Kim Basinger are the same height, yet I think longer hair suits Kim better than Halle.  Not sure why since I can think of nothing that Halle does not look good in. 

Perhaps it is better to consider the individual rather than holding everyone up to some imagined yardstick of idealized style.

DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2005 at 8:25pm
To my eye, a person's hair length does not affect my perception of their height.  And neither does a woman's height affect my perception of their attractiveness.

The notion that people should choose their hair's length based on their height is idiotic.

"What not to wear" pays government-certified haircutters who haven't a lick of artistic creativity when it comes to styling (not cutting) ideas for long hair -- and by long, I don't mean just-below-shoulder length.
Katja View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2005 at 8:51pm

God, I hate those shows.  I didn't see this particular one but I know that most of those TV stylists act like having really long hair is such a crime, and they always try to make it into a deeper issue by saying "you're trying too hard to hang onto the past," or something like that.  They just can't seem to fathom that some people actually enjoy having long hair.  And I hate the cookie-cutter style that most of these makeover people get.

Oh, and...

...people have told me that as well.  I'm pretty short (5') and people always tell me that long hair will make me look shorter, but I don't care.  I'm not at all insecure about my height and even if my hair did make me look shorter, it'd just be an optical illusion.

"If you're not failing every now and again, it's a sign you're not doing anything very innovative."
-Woody Allen
BrooKiki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrooKiki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2005 at 1:21am
Originally posted by Katja Katja wrote:

...people have told me that as well.  I'm pretty short (5') and people always tell me that long hair will make me look shorter, but I don't care.  I'm not at all insecure about my height and even if my hair did make me look shorter, it'd just be an optical illusion.

Call me stupid (or else someone who doesn't check her email often) but is there something fundamentally wrong with being short?  (5'7 here.)  Or, for that matter, even tall?  Almost everytime I see an article suggestion appropriate styles for various people, it's presented under "hiding flaws."  You know, too short, too tall, chest too big, chest too small...  I'm all for people dressing to flatter their body type, but the idea that everyone should be dressing to look like a 5'6 person with a C cup seems stupid to me.  It's like the idea of an "appropriate" hair length.  Some people look gorgeous with ultra long hair, and some people have such pretty features and a gorgeous head shape that they look pretty bald.  (I've noticed that with a few cancer surivors.)

And sorry...this wasn't technically a hair post, but I think it does fall into the spirit of the thread...namely that the so-called experts have a certain look that they think is right for all women and they want to try to get everyone as close to that look as possible.  Sorry for the rant.  *sheepish grin*
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic