Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

any suggestions?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
femmemuscle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote femmemuscle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: any suggestions?
    Posted: August 29 2005 at 2:52pm

my hair is growing out very nicely these days..the problem i'm having is the style...i like wearing it straight with a part down the middle, or sometimes on the side..When i flat iron it, using a heat protectant(with an ionic ceramic flat iron), it comes out looking great..until i work out, go to work, anything that is physical where i wind up sweating.

the part that is still retaining the perm looks great - but the part that is new growth is thick and draws up..my hair is uneven, thus there are sections on the top that are shorter (that's more in the front) and sections that are long (that's more in the back area of the top).

the shorter areas just stick out with the permed part looking kind of droopy at the ends - and the new growth just gets kinkier..and draws up even more.

I've brushed or combed it back down and for a few hours - it looks great, until i sweat some more..or the wind starts blowing..when the wind stops, the shorter hair stays in the same position as if the wind were still blowing!!  i have to whip out my comb and comb it back down immediately...

I'm afraid of overcombing or overbrushing the hair..and try keeping it under a satin scarf as much as possible before work or my workouts..

i guess i have to get this new growth permed to "catch-up" with the rest of my hair?

Jesuschrist#1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jesuschrist#1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2005 at 12:58pm
When my new growth starts to get overwhelming, I try to just leave it alone and don't style it that much. Of course a lot of people use bantu knots, straw sets, etc., which can help. But the best advice I can give is to leave it alone. Moisturizing is a must, but try to wear updos. Updos r great styles and really help w/ new growth. Sorry if I didn't help much
femmemuscle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote femmemuscle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2005 at 12:43am

thanks..heck, i thought no one would reply to this post!  thank you very much..my problem is i work in the O.R and sweat, work out, ride motorcycles..the up do doesn't seem to work too well in a helmet or doing a #185 bench press..i'm finding that just keeping it down and in a scarf really helps, especially underneath those bouffant hats that are made of cotton nylon...

I've seen on a few posts that it's okay to flat iron the hair (if you absolutely have to, at least once or twice a week)...twice a week for me, is really pushing it...and then there are a few here that are so lucky where they can do this everyday...

I agree, i can not say enough about moisturizing..I learned to do this twice a day (5:00 a.m. in the morning), and right before going to bed, and cap it off with a silk exilir strengthening creme..i am so grateful for you  guys on this forum, because i had no idea the first few weeks on how to take care of "my" hair.. I've made a few mistakes and it has cost me some breakage. I was using a flat iron without a heat protectant, and had no idea about deep conditioning...this is still, no where near as much breakage when beauticians were "experimenting" with different extension methods.

After coming out of wearing weaves for a few years, I feel as if i'm taking "baby steps" on keeping my hair healthy..it's long, but fragile...I also have a problem with up-do's because i have a big head...or that's i think anyway...

you have been a big help, and i thank you!

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic