Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

sectioning for linkies

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
adeline View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adeline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: sectioning for linkies
    Posted: August 29 2005 at 3:47pm
What is the best way to section the hair for micro links? For example, in the
back, should the rows be 1/2" apart, 1/4", etc? Also, what about the sides? I
heard of a triangle technique, is there anything else I should know?

This is the first time my sister and I are doing it and I want to get as much
advice as possible.
marie87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marie87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2005 at 5:47pm
If you do a search lots of them will pop up. It really depends on how thick your hair is at the ends. and how much hair you have . I have some cliants I skip rows and others (like myself) I do every last bit leaving out just a few inches across the top
adeline View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adeline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2005 at 7:17pm
Thanks for replying Marie. I did I search on the board and feel fairly
confident about doing the back now but it's the sides I'm confused on. Do I
just continue a line from the back to the front when I can or do I do the
sides completely differently. I'm guessing the easiest way is to just continue
from the back like a horseshoe.

I'm so thankful for this board. :)
sherrie215 View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sherrie215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2005 at 7:56pm

Hi adeline. The horseshoe is the most common pattern. And its what I do too. My hair is fine so I start about 1&1/2 to 2 inches up from my nape and about an inch or a little more away from my hairlines and just continue my rows upward from there.  And the general size of the sections is 1/4 inch square. The size can vary a little ( but not alot)depending on the thickness and density of hair. I personally do slightly larger than 1/4 inch sections because I dont feel like I have enough hair in 1/4 inch section to support the weight of the strand well.

And after I finish my top horseshoe row...I add one or two more short rows on each side (they dont go all the way around the back) I like this extra bit of hair at the sides for framing/layering.

You dont have to follow a horseshoe pattern. Some people do their back and sides different. I think the important thing is that you have planned out your install pattern and dont go at it randomly!

Edited by sherrie215
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic