Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

My new, short haircut!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
makeitshort View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote makeitshort Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2005 at 10:49am
Originally posted by Arco_Arena Arco_Arena wrote:

I swear the people in this board are vultures.  You need to know when to call it quits.  You convinced this poor girl to cut her hair and now she is unhappy, why can't you just leave it at that?

Mandiegirl, a piece of advice, next time you are thinking of changing your hairstyle, try to get a more diverse oppinion.  Maybe go to the long hair forum and ask some of the people there.  The people here will just give you one answer.

Well excuse us for telling someone who is thinking about cutting their hair that they will look great with it shorter & being right (in our opinions) & then trying to reassure her that she looks great (which she does).  If she doesn't like it, it will grow back.  At least she tried something different.

loveitshort View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loveitshort Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2005 at 11:09am
Hi Mandie,

I think it looks fantastic, but it's you that has to be happy.  Either way, sounds like you had fun going for the change and now you'll be ready for another change.  That's what makes all this fun.

loveitshort
Paulbob View Drop Down
Banned
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paulbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2005 at 10:45pm

I swear the people in this board are vultures.  You need to know when to call it quits.  You convinced this poor girl to cut her hair and now she is unhappy, why can't you just leave it at that?

Mandiegirl, a piece of advice, next time you are thinking of changing your hairstyle, try to get a more diverse opinion.  Maybe go to the long hair forum and ask some of the people there.  The people here will just give you one answer.

Arco Arena you are absolutely right about people on this board being like vultures and Mandiegirl never ever ask for advise on this board because the only thing they will tell you is go for it or get rid of your boring long hair and cut your hair short.. so next time Mandiegirl like Arco Arena said go to the Long Hair Board and ask for advise about your hair on the best part of the HairTalk the Long Hair Board instead of here

Paulbob 

mandiegirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mandiegirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2005 at 1:58pm
d

Edited by mandiegirl
PurpleBubba View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PurpleBubba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2005 at 2:52pm
Originally posted by mandiegirl mandiegirl wrote:

I will try and get pictures of me smiling :) if you really want to see them!

mandie

I would love to see them with a smile. 

I'd also like to say that I am a regular from the Long Hair board, but I was also very active in this thread. I love long hair. But I've also learned to appreciate other hair lengths.
Once you stop looking for what's wrong with hair you start seeing all the things that are right with it. You all should try that no matter what board you're on.

All I really care about concerning this thread is how Mandie is feeling. I'd love to see her smile and be happy but only if she really is happy. I can understand that she's still in a bit of shock. I hope that when the shock wears off that she's ok. But she sounds like a strong hearted girl. if this cut turns out to not be what she wants she will find something she likes.

I don't think this is the time to tell her to cut it shorter or grow it out though. This is the time to help her enjoy what she has Now. So let's try to help Mandie enjoy her current cut.

How bout some styling ideas?

Mandie, do you have any barettes, clips, bobby pins, slip in combs, or other hair toys? Maybe some headbands?

What kind of products do you use? Are you using a blow dryer or irons?

Is your hair flipping in any certain direction or doing something you didn't expect?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote makeitshort Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2005 at 3:39pm
Originally posted by Paulbob Paulbob wrote:

Mandiegirl, a piece of advice, next time you are thinking of changing your hairstyle, try to get a more diverse opinion.  Maybe go to the long hair forum and ask some of the people there.  The people here will just give you one answer.

Arco Arena you are absolutely right about people on this board being like vultures and Mandiegirl never ever ask for advise on this board because the only thing they will tell you is go for it or get rid of your boring long hair and cut your hair short.. so next time Mandiegirl like Arco Arena said go to the Long Hair Board and ask for advise about your hair on the best part of the HairTalk the Long Hair Board instead of here

Paulbob 

Wel of course the posters at the Long Hair board will give you an honest unbiased opinion, because they are normal.  And the posters here are vultures who want every lady to cut her hair. Oh please.

Why do you guys post here?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote makeitshort Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2005 at 3:44pm
Originally posted by mandiegirl mandiegirl wrote:

Hey all, thank you for all your comments and opinions.  Ultimately no one "convinced" me one way or the other - I have my own mind!!!  Actually the one person who I trust the most with my hair, my hairdresser that has been doing my hair for years, said it would look good and was excited about the change.  Since I value her opinion (not like I don't value all of yours, but you know, she actually knows me and my hair), she is the one that actually gave me the resolve to do it!  But I may have never even brought it up to her if I didn't post on here and get all of your feedback, so thank you, it was useful.  I'm still not totally used to it, its almost been 2 weeks...but I'm getting there and trying to figure out different ways to style it and stuff.  For now I'm gonna grow it and go from there...the change was fun though!! Like I said I do miss my hair - the shortest it has ever been before this is shoulders - but I don't regret it b/c it was something different and daring for me to do.

I will try and get pictures of me smiling :) if you really want to see them!

mandie

Thanks Mandie!  As one who said you would look great, I stand by that.  You look terrific & would love to see a pic of you smiling!
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2005 at 5:28pm
My take on Mandie's situation is simple.  If she had wanted a variety of opinions, she would have chosen to post her inquiry in places other than the short hair forum, including (but not necessarily limited to) the General forum.

'nuff said, I think.
Paulbob View Drop Down
Banned
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paulbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2005 at 11:04pm
Originally posted by makeitshort makeitshort wrote:

Paulbob 

Wel of course the posters at the Long Hair board will give you an honest unbiased opinion, because they are normal.  And the posters here are vultures who want every lady to cut her hair. Oh please.

Why do you guys post here?

Oh come on makeitshort can we all just get along on here because I like posting on here and the long hair forum because there allot of great messages on here and I like both short and long hair but no shorter than bob length for me

Paulbob

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote makeitshort Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2005 at 7:29am

Oh come on makeitshort can we all just get along on here because I like posting on here and the long hair forum because there allot of great messages on here and I like both short and long hair but no shorter than bob length for me

Paulbob

Ummm, yes we can get along as long as we're not insulting each other.  Unless you don't consider calling someone a vulture an insult.
Rod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2005 at 9:34am
She never said she didn't like it. She was unsure. And she posted this on a
short hair board, a place that she has to know there will be people who like
it. And she got a positive reaction. I think that if she's unsure, hearing the
opinions of people who like it has to be a good thing. Of course she cut it
for herself and her opinion is the one that matters, but it's nice to hear
compliments and that people do like it. The last thing anyone wants to hear
after they cut their hair is that it looked better long. I'm sure some
people will think it did, but who wants to hear that after the deed is done?

The last place she should go is the long hair board. Their opinions will likely
be negative and that can't make anyone feel good.
mandiegirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mandiegirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2005 at 5:45pm

g

Edited by mandiegirl
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2005 at 6:08pm
Originally posted by Rod Rod wrote:

The last place she should go is the long hair board. Their opinions will likely be negative and that can't make anyone feel good.

I actually don't believe that would be the case.  If she came there and wanted support (for either staying short or growing longer) I believe support would be given.

I will warn ArcoArena and Paulbob to temper your criticism of the people here.  Take it to PM's, or to the Hair Politics board.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PurpleBubba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2005 at 8:50pm
You look great in all of those pictures.

Mandie,

You are beautiful. And to top that off you have beautiful hair. You had beautiful hair when it was long. You still have the same beautiful hair now. If you decide to dye it orange it's still going to be beautiful. If you decide to grow it to your ankles it's still going to be beautiful.

Don't let anyone tell you that cutting or growing makes you More or Less beautiful. Anyone who does that does not appreciate true beauty.
You have a really cool hairstyle Mandie. And you have already shown a few different ways to wear it and they looked great. It only takes a few months to grow out a cut like that. I saw on another board where a lady had a really short pixie in January and as of right now her hair is about your length. That's a lot of change in only 9 months. If you miss your long hair you can have that back. If you want to try shorter or try reshaping your current length you can have that.

You have my support no matter what you decide. Not my long hair support or my short hair support. My support period.

Thanks for the smiles :)

Rod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2005 at 10:39pm
Mandie, I think the long hair is more flattering than the short straight hair,
but those pictures of you with it curly are hot. What you think is most
important, but don't sell the short hair short.
DarkHelmet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DarkHelmet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2005 at 12:46am

It looks completely different curly.

I think it looks nice either way really

I will say this, at least it's straight and very nicely angled.

Some people get their hair cut short and are even more unhappy because whoever did it messed it up. I understand you might  have liked your long hair more, but like you said at least you had a stylist you know and trust and she did a nice job and it can grow out nicely, without or very few retrims. If it had been cut into an uneven shape, things would had been alot worse.

My ex girlfreind had the same curly blonde bob as yours.I always complimented her on it and liked it. She recently dyed it brown and they messed it up and then tried adding auburn to it  as a toner and it turned out very badly. She also had the stylist add layers. I dont know this by seeing it though because she told me this over the phone, then a few days later canceled our date. I havent heard from her since then.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote makeitshort Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2005 at 7:37am

Mandie,

Again, WOW!

You look terrific with it both long & short.  The short curly style is absolutely AMAZING.

loveitshort View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loveitshort Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2005 at 10:55pm
Mandi, either way your hair is beautiful.  Glad you had fun with the change!

loveitshort
Kuroneko View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kuroneko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2005 at 3:09am

I like the smile, and the glasses, too ^_^ .  And as always, I am the champion of hair accessories and having fun with one's hair ^_^ .  I hope you've got a good wardrobe of clippies, headbands, ponytail holders, and other decorations, and are enjoying experimenting to see how much can be done with them ^_^ .

More awesome than a manatee!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PurpleBubba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2005 at 3:28am
Good post Kuroneko :)

I'd like to say that Kuroneko is a great example of someone with short hair who has posted to lots of different boards including the long hair board and she does a good job of giving advice in all the posts I have seen of her. She doesn't go around telling anyone to cut or grow their hair that wasn't asking for it.

I am glad she feels comfortable giving advice. The nice thing about hair is just because someone may have or prefer a certain length right now that doesn't mean they've never had other lengths or styles. Or maybe they have a friend, relative, child with a certain style that's related to whatever the topic is.

Hopefully I won't be reading about long hair board people vs short hair board people again. I don't think that's what Karen wanted.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic