Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

sandwich weft placement...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Alexia81189 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alexia81189 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: sandwich weft placement...
    Posted: September 05 2005 at 3:39pm

hey all,

I had a thought today about the sandwich weft method that sherrie came up with and how it makes the weft invisible because of the layer of hair glued to the top of the weft. since it is invisible why not place the weft higher than what is considered "normal" for extensions since most methods need around 2 inches to cover up the install. I know since the hair would be glued down it wouldnt have much volume but leaving about an inch from the part would work right? Also any1 that has done glued in wefts what is your weft placement? I was thinking actually taking the wefts and "bending" them a bit so it would be straight between front of head to above the ear then diagonally going downwards and then curving back up horizontally across the back of the head. If it was possible it would be alot easier styling the hair in a ponytail and it look more natural since the weft placement follows that curve. Also the liquid gold, how do you get the glue out onto the hair ( I havent seen the bottle but I have heard the glue gets thick after awhile)? Would it be easier putting the glue into a squeeze bottle where the substance can go out but air cant go in through the cap? Sorry if this sounds very confusing, it makes sense to me in my mind, hopefully I explained it well. I wouldnt be surprised if none of my ideas work just throwing them out there. Thanx for any ideas and answers.

Life moves pretty fast. If you dont stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.
Longhairdreams View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longhairdreams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2005 at 3:48pm

yeah I know you can pretty high up.I went about an inch from the hairline with no problems.If your hair is extra thin it might be impossible to hide the wefts ala paris.Plus I remember someone else asking about putting the wefts in vertically.I am curious how that wears myself.Seems like it might put alot of strain on weak hair.

Edited by Longhairdreams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alexia81189 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2005 at 5:08pm

oOo if only paris knew about sherries sandwich weft method...

I also wonder if you can "double-side" the invisible sandwich weft technique soo you can have that wefts hair on either side  sorry if this is crazy just dreaming. how much do you leave in between each weft ( the top of the bottom weft and the bottom of the next weft)?

Im going to order plastikhaar eventually and using liquid gold glue wefts in the straight- diagonal- straight method I was thinking about and see how that works. I think it will be ok for my hair because I have really thick hair to begin with and it is good condition, shoulder length hair. Hopefully it will work out since I havent done glued in wefts (this will b my first time) I am still debating wheter to get the color ring only first w/ some wild colors or just guess what will blend in w/ my hair and take a chance.  anybody know how long it would take w/ priority mail? also, anybody know how the US supplier is coming along?

Life moves pretty fast. If you dont stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.
kateadreena View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kateadreena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2005 at 5:23pm

if you put it vertically the hair pokes out.  Hold the weft up straight youll see what i mean.. Diagnally is fine though

niftygirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote niftygirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2005 at 7:42pm

Alexa, I'm going to install plastikhaar via sandwich weft technique for the first time soon (whenever wefts arrive). I thought of putting the LG in a squeeze bottle too but Sherri said she tried it and it didn't work. It made the glue bubbly and didn't squeeze out right.

I worked witht he LG for making pretips and it is a nightmare! It's thick and makes long strings when you pull the brush away. Brushing it on the weft off of your head is one thing, but for the life of me, I don't know how I am going to brush it on my head to sandwich down a layer of my own hair without it going all over.

metalgirl View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote metalgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2005 at 7:50pm

When using the sandwich method, it is not really invisible.  I have used this method high up on the head for a blond client, and you could still see the 'seam' of the weft because her hair is thin.  I instructed her to tease and smooth her hair over it to disguise.

As for the weft placement, many hair weavers commonly place wefts in a 'horseshoe' pattern, with the wefts slightly sloping downward as the weft curves around the back of the head.

ccross6032 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccross6032 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2005 at 8:05pm

hi there -

i had a great sew-in once with the typical vertical cornrows done and then wefts sewn horizontally.....the hair i had was a french refined pattern and my own hair is limp linguini, so for the top portions in order to cover up most of my own hair he actually took a section of weft and glued it about 1/2" below my part line. the trick was that he started the weft backwards? by that i mean he reversed the way the weft was positioned. so envision the way you would put glue on the weft and stick it on horizontally so that the hair flows down your back. as opposed to that, imagine taking a section of weft and gluing it horizontally so that the weft is running forward covering your face. after that he put a thin line of glue just adjacent to the weft, flipped the hair back so that it folded on itself and the glue tacked a line of hair over the weft...

i sure wish i had a pic...difficult to describe but it worked so well! after the flip bit and having some hair glued to the other side of the weft, he did something similar to sherrie's technique and glued a small amount of my hair over the wefted hair.

someone over on the black hair media forum posted a pic of this a while back but i can't find the entry....she did it with a sew in.

ahh...okay go the the BHM board (see the link under links for beginners at the top of the page here) and do a search for "reverse method pix" by essence...she has a pic there which she did for a sew in...my guy after doing what she did glued on both sides of the weft and covered the track with a little layer of hair...make sense, lol?

Edited by ccross6032

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alexia81189 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2005 at 8:06am

I just saw the reverse method and its wonderful! It will definiately work better woven in right? Soo I can LG all the other wefts and have someone sew in the top track for better blending. It seems like that method would be good for volume. How was the blending and the invisibleness(is that a word?) of the glued in top weft cross? This seems like an awesome way to promote better blending. Any other thoughts about this method?

Nifty, do you think if LG went into a squeeze bottle and squeezed the air out it would still bubble? oor If the LG was overflowing in the bottle so there is no room for air ? tryin to find a solution with the LG process hopefully we'll get somewhere  hopefully...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alexia81189 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2005 at 8:11am

oOo I forgot to ask...

Nifty, did you order the hair as wefts from plastikhaar or are you going to make wefts? I was thinking about sewing my own so I could double draw it so the hair would be 60 cm instead of 120 cm and I wouldnt waste so much hair. Do you know if the wefts are already double drawn? I think the website said that the weft hair is 120 cm long so I dont know but Im curious. What type of hair do you have? Im wondering if plastikhaar/sandwich weft method will work for me since I have thin hair but alot of it(it looks thick) and it is stick straight with an outward curl at the end(makes it soo hard to blend w/ straight) Also, does anyone think that naturally straight hair would looks okay with wavy or curly plastikhaar? Thanx for any opinions, suggestions, etc.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccross6032 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2005 at 8:40am

hi alexia -

actually in my opinion i think glue bonding will be more undetectable unless you can do super super small braids. with sherrie's technique i think it would be super flat and should last a while.  i think it really helps with preventing that line of demarcation if you have slightly different color weave hair that happens at the crown if you don't go high enough.

good luck!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alexia81189 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2005 at 9:22am

Im confused now, you said it would be super flat but if the weft is glued backwards and flipped to the other side wouldnt the hair make a loop and lay on a side of the loop since the hair would be curvy not bent going the other direction?

edit: sorry if Im confusing!

Edited by Alexia81189
niftygirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote niftygirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2005 at 10:03am

Alexia,

I ordered the wefts and had them made so I could specify how long I wanted them as well as color (dunklebraun which is a beautiful redish brown).

I ordered 50mm wave, 18 inches long. I have thin, fine hair with a very slight wave. I've never tried the straight but used the bulk 50mm for my shrinkie install and loved it. I'm anxious to try the weft method because of my thin, fine hair. The shrinkies were pretty piecey on me and my hair separates easily (because it's thin) revealing the shrinkies.

I'm new at this so I've never tried any other kind of hair. Just plastikhaar and I loved it!

As far as the squeeze bottle trick you mentioned...I'll give that a try becuase I cannot imagine putting that brush up to my head and getting the glue anywhere near where I want it.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alexia81189 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2005 at 1:37pm

how do you think you are going to glue the wefts in(placement)? Im interested in seeing the reverse weft method thing. did you check out the pic on the bhm board? Seems like I good idea ill go 4 it. cant wait to see pics. good luck!

oOo, im gonna try the squeeze bottle too, maybe sherrie will have an opinion on this? im quite interested.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccross6032 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2005 at 2:42pm

hi alexia -

sorry if i made it confusing. the reverse method would be the same regardless either sewing to a braid or gluing. if you are gluing, you place the track and glue it to your scalp per the pic, put a small line of glue over the back of the weft so that when it flips over on itself the hair is glued over and covers the weft line. after that glue the small section of your own hair over top of the fold..haha. very confusing to write out eh?

you can certainly do it with sewing to a braid as in the BHM pic...but the braid does add a bit of bulk, especially if it isn't tiny tiny. so i guess that was my point ... you can either reverse it and  glue it to your scalp and on itself.....or sew it to a braid.

niftygirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote niftygirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2005 at 9:02pm

Where is this picture of reverse weft technique? I'd like to check it out. I planned on placing them straight across my head from top of ear to ear and down and then the sides. No angles or anything.

I never wear my hair up. If anything a low loose ponytail.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alexia81189 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2005 at 10:28pm

www.blackhairmedia.com

I think its in the womens hair care/hair extensions section of the discussion board

I searched the title reverse method pix and found it

edit:to add about discussion board

Edited by Alexia81189
niftygirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote niftygirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2005 at 9:08am

Okay, I got it now. But would that work well with glue? She sewed her wefts in and it seems like when she flips her wefts, they would "give" more easily with thread, almost like a hinge on a door. With glue I'm picturing the attach line stiffer and not as resiliant to bending back.

sansconformist View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sansconformist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2005 at 9:24am
I gave this a shot this morning with a wawa weft split in half, just a 4 inch section in a funky colour and cheap cold bond glue, to try it out. It does hide the weft beautifully! If it wasn't for the latex having a slight white-ish cast, I wouldn't know it was there at all, and my hair is baby fine. Just looks like I dyed a section. This is pretty much Sherrie's method refined a little bit. I like it! If only we can get down a way to get only as much LG as you need onto the hair. I get it everywhere and my hair feels stiff around the scalp, which I don't care for.
gsmilie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gsmilie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2005 at 10:27pm
I just looked at the info from the BHM site, that is amazing!!!  I'm not sure how much control you would have with LG, but if it could be done, it too would be amzing!!  I just got done installing the Sandwich technique, and I think that I may have gone overboard with the glue.  I wish that there was an easier way to use LG.  I did try the squeeze bottle, and it worked when I had to do a repair job, but when I went to use it for this complete install, the glue had hardened in the bottle.  I used a really small craft paint squeeze bottle.  I think I will try again with a new bottle at the next install. 
Dunebug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dunebug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2005 at 11:11pm
What about using a syringe without a needle? like the kind you get when you have to give your pets medicine. That would squirt it out like a squeeze bottle but there would never be air inside it to harden the glue..... hmm.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic