Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

sandwich weft placement...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Syren123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Syren123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2005 at 11:42pm
That is totally amazing! I have to admit that even with the pictures, I don't get it. The finished product is fantastic, however it's done.

That hair she used had the tiniest weft! That's what Bohyme's handtied weft looks like, if anybody cares.

And Cheryl...typical vertical cornrows? I've never heard of that!
gsmilie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gsmilie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2005 at 3:59pm
Dunebug, Hmmmmmm, that may be the ticket!!!   I'll have to try it!!
ccross6032 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccross6032 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2005 at 4:30pm

mmmm- doing the reverse flippy thing totally made all the difference in covering the short top layers at my crown - my hair was way too short to cover long hair...and as i mentioned the weft hair was french refined and my own ....is not...

yep syren - so i guess when the weft hair texture is different from the wearers, or you are trying to give your hair a break, or it's too short to blend....basically ya just do cornrows from the forehead back to the nape of the neck, not leaving out any hair except a smidge (like your bangs) at the crown....then he simply placed the tracks horizontally, tacking the weft to the braids. weaveitup on BHM i believe shows this method:

http://public.fotki.com/weaveitup3/sew_in_a_weave/

the guy i went to said that the vertical rows made it so much easier to part the hair, wear it different ways, lasted longer, and for many of his clients they could keep 90% of their hair braided so they didn't need to straighten or relax their own hair except for the small amount out at the bang area during the life of the weave. the hair i bought was a beautiful 22" wavy, my own was super short at the time and straight....it totally looked natural and so blended when he was done - till the crappy bss hair went to crap!

i think the vertical cornrows work really well if you aren't trying to blend your own hair with the weave hair and want to cover it up. if you just need a couple tracks for length with a similar texture you can blend easily, a few horizontal rows seems to be the way to go, in my opinion.

Edited by ccross6032
Alexia81189 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alexia81189 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2005 at 4:54pm

Originally posted by sansconformist sansconformist wrote:

I gave this a shot this morning with a wawa weft split in half, just a 4 inch section in a funky colour and cheap cold bond glue, to try it out. It does hide the weft beautifully! If it wasn't for the latex having a slight white-ish cast, I wouldn't know it was there at all, and my hair is baby fine. Just looks like I dyed a section. This is pretty much Sherrie's method refined a little bit.

how exactly did you do this? did you glue the weft exactly horizontally "backwards" on the hair, put another layer of glue close to the top of the weft( also would it work without gluing the folded hair down ya think?) , flip the hair over and press down, then take another section of hair and glue that down over the just folded hair in the weft?

Originally posted by Dunebug Dunebug wrote:

What about using a syringe without a needle? like the kind you get when you have to give your pets medicine. That would squirt it out like a squeeze bottle but there would never be air inside it to harden the glue..... hmm.

That sounds like an awesome idea! how about refilling the seringe though wouldnt the LG harden up in the original bottle if it is being reopened, etc?

Life moves pretty fast. If you dont stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.
ccross6032 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccross6032 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2005 at 6:12pm

alexia i think if you don't somehow tack the reversed weft down (easiest by gluing) it will flip-flop back and forth. by tacking it down once flipped over it really keeps it nicely in place right over the weft...which makes it look like it's coming out of your scalp. i know it seems like it would be bulky ... but trust me on this .... just do a little sandwiching and it's flat flat flat. try it with just a teeny piece of weft first and see if you like it.. okay...also i just reread your question about the stiffness and i see what you are asking now. it feels like a regular weft track tacked down in my opinion...no stiffer than a regular track with liquid gold. it's really just a thin layer of hair glued over...and you really don't need a ton as it's to cover the weft and not really to keep it in place.

i should point out as i didn't clarify before....i think the reverse flip is best when done like in the BHM photo - right at that area over the crown or anywhere around the top hairlines. that's really where you need the weft covered and likely have short hair that can be difficult to blend with long hair, or not as much hair to cover the weft as you would on areas of your scalp further back.

syren, it's really like taking a section of weft and placing it as if you are trying to cover your whole face (think cousin it)....then ya flip the weft over and glue/sew/whatever..somehow tack the hair so that the weft line is covered by hair....make sense? it's really only for that crown area/top part lines.

ya know sans...thinking about it...you could probably "reverse" glue the hair to cover the weft before installing on your head? once less thing to have to direct liquid glue onto  on top of your head.

Edited by ccross6032
sansconformist View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sansconformist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2005 at 10:31pm
Originally posted by Alexia81189 Alexia81189 wrote:

how exactly did you do this? did you glue the weft exactly horizontally "backwards" on the hair, put another layer of glue close to the top of the weft( also would it work without gluing the folded hair down ya think?) , flip the hair over and press down, then take another section of hair and glue that down over the just folded hair in the weft?

That is exactly how I did it,  save that I did not  glue any additional setion of hair down over the just folded weft.

sansconformist View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sansconformist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2005 at 10:34pm
Originally posted by ccross6032 ccross6032 wrote:

ya know sans...thinking about it...you could probably "reverse" glue the hair to cover the weft before installing on your head? once less thing to have to direct liquid glue onto  on top of your head.

I'm not sure I'm getting what you mean here. For my experiment I just applied glue to the weft and pushed it against the hair. With LG you have to apply to the hair and weft seperayely and touch them together. Do you have something in your head that's easier? I'd love that!

I think I may try the LG in a syringe thingie, too.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic