Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Color HELP!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
LorenDiane View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LorenDiane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Color HELP!
    Posted: September 07 2005 at 10:37pm
Ok, In the Miss Clairol line level 10 (lightest blonde) what developer is best to use with hair that is a natural level 7ish - light brown/mousie color. This is just a root touch up. But I want to start doing a single color blonde instead of tons of hi lites. Any suggestions??
Thanks!!
Loren
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2005 at 7:19am
I'm not a pro, but for going that light I always used 40 volume  developer.  I've read on here that people say 30 is better because its less damaging, but it took me too many more dye jobs to get with 30 what I got with 40, so I don't know.  Thats just what I did.

Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LorenDiane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2005 at 12:10pm
My other little prob is that I went from black to blonde.I have been going to a salon and did it gradually.  I am very blonde now and my hair is a little dry but not fried. It is a yellow blonde though, with gold pieces- a little brassy.  I would like to be more platinum-ish without bleaching the heck out of it anymore. Would putting the 10 clairol blonde w/ 30 volume bring it up just a touch more and get rid of the brassiness?? Or is that going to be too harsh? Thanks again!!
Loren
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2005 at 7:43am
If the CLairol level 10 has a violet base, it will fix the yellow problem.  If you've already got it yellow blonde, you probably don't need such a harsh developer.  A 20 would probably even be enough since you only want a little lift.  Be sure to test strand to make sure you aren't going to hit a breaking point...going from black dyed to white blonde is super harsh.  If your salon did so good this far along, I'd ask them to do it for you, test strand it and everything.  
Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
swede View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2005 at 7:49am

I'd suggest getting 40 vol developer, then do a strand test to see if it works out.

If you need more deposit (30 will give you less lift and more deposit, you can just dilute the developer with a bit of shampoo)

good luck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LorenDiane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2005 at 9:38am
OK thanks! I definitely dont want to ruin it so far! The salon thing was awesome, but it was about $500.00 so far- which I gladly will pay to have it done right, but if I can do this much at home it might save me another $100 or so.
Would 40 vol. be too harsh??
Thanks for all the help!
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2005 at 8:12am
40 has more peroxide in it than 30, 30 more than 20.  Whether or not it will be "too" harsh, well, that depends on your hair and its a good reason to do a test strand to find out.  What I think Swede was saying is that if you buy 40 and your test strand comes out lighter than you wanted, or more damaged than you wanted, you can just dilute some of your 40 to make it 30 to test strand and use on the rest of your hair.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LorenDiane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2005 at 7:06pm
So I can just mix the clairol level 10 with my developer and go?
Thanks for all the help!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic