Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

HAIR S.O.S.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
tajVic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tajVic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HAIR S.O.S.
    Posted: September 12 2005 at 5:46pm
If there is a Color professional that has some advice, I would deeply appreciate your assistance. I am naturally a brunette. For the last four years I have been dying my hair blond on my own, when I need a haircut I will sometimes go down to the salon next tome and have them cut my hair and color it. More often than not, I do it myself with very good results.
I usually bleach my hair first with Feria #200 mixed with a very good deep conditioner. That way it is not so harsh. Then, every few months I also do a second prcess of Loreal  Preference 9A. My hair usually looks exactly like Gwen Stefanis. IT USUALLY looks great,
Well, I needed to have my haircut, and went to the salon I normally go to, and the lady I normally see was not there. Hence, another person bleached and cut my hair. I did not realize she did a concurrent process of bleach and color at the same time. I found I had orange roots and my hair is now thin, brittle, and not the same in color either. I have been watching my shoulder length hair every day for a month, break off.
I have tried everything  I can think of to help, from mayonaisse, cocoa butter, and deep conditioning treatments.I don't wash my hair, I only condition it, and only every third day. Nothing is helping. My hair is normally very fine, but I usually have lots of very fine hair!!!! Not anymore....
After a month, my  brown roots are back, I need to do them as it looks bad, especially with my job-I speak publically everyday. I am afraid to do what I normally do to bleach my roots.
Does anyone have any ideas............... S. O. S.
V. Wells
Claude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2005 at 6:50am

It's hard to advise you on your hair without actually seeing it so I could do a strand test to see if your hair could withstand a chemical process. How long was the bleach left in and what kind did she use? I have experience with Goldwell Color which I've never had a problem with so far. Going from black to blonde is lifting alot of levels which if the stylist is not experienced could result in overprocessed hair and breakage which is what it sounds like happened to you.

Find a master colorist in your area and explain to them what you've been doing and what the last stylist did to your hair and mention that after that you experienced breakage.

Was she doing just the regrowth of the roots of your hair? It is possible she overlapped the already bleached hair near the roots and that overprocessed and damaged the already colored hair and that is why you are experiencing breakage at or near the scalp. That would be my guess. Since you are lifting alot of levels that bleach they are using is probably 40 volume developer with possibly a booster to speed up the processing. It could have lifted the already colored area of hair up past the pale yellow stage which is considered the last safe level hair can be bleached to before you experience overprocessing of the hair. If she overlapped the previously processed hair that is most likely why you are experiencing breakage.

Don't go back to that stylist.

G'luck

tajVic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tajVic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2005 at 8:00am
I will never go back there again! thanks for your advice.
She did something that had never been done to my hair before. She put bleach and color in my hair at the same time- a double process, saying it was better to do the two processes at once. Obviously when she did this the color and the bleach was all over my hair, except for my ends.
The ends of my hair are better looking than the rest of my hair, ie, the ends are thicker and not as white, more yellow than other parts of my hair.
I wished I had realized what she was gonna do before she did it. Usually with Feria #200 bleaching kit, I have no problems.
She was just supposed to do my roots and ended up putting color and bleach at the same time all over my hair.
When she was done my hair was no longer the color of Gwen Stefanis but the pale Marilyn Monroe color. I have been afraid to do anything.
I wish is was really cold so I could wear a hat all day.........
V. Wells
brittney4824 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brittney4824 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2005 at 1:54pm
wear a wig.
Claude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2005 at 4:04pm

Originally posted by tajVic tajVic wrote:

I will never go back there again! thanks for your advice.
She did something that had never been done to my hair before. She put bleach and color in my hair at the same time- a double process, saying it was better to do the two processes at once. Obviously when she did this the color and the bleach was all over my hair, except for my ends.
The ends of my hair are better looking than the rest of my hair, ie, the ends are thicker and not as white, more yellow than other parts of my hair.
I wished I had realized what she was gonna do before she did it. Usually with Feria #200 bleaching kit, I have no problems.
She was just supposed to do my roots and ended up putting color and bleach at the same time all over my hair.
When she was done my hair was no longer the color of Gwen Stefanis but the pale Marilyn Monroe color. I have been afraid to do anything.
I wish is was really cold so I could wear a hat all day.........

well the color already has bleach in it...that's the active ingredient that lightens the haircolor to the lighter blonde. I'd assume she put in a booster of some type since you we're raising so many levels but to apply that all over your already colored hair would result in serious overprocessing and even breakage and unfortunately thats where you are right now. Very frustrating! Typically what she should have done was do that to your roots get them to the same color then tone the whole head with 10 Volume and a soap cap for 5 minutes to even out the color throughout the head and refresh the ends of your already colored hair.

Totally unacceptable! You should go back to that salon and explain to them what she did and you have breakage as a result of it now and your hair is overprocessed. I would tell the salon owner/manager that you would like deep conditioning treatments weekly for 6 weeks to improve you hair's condition that was damaged as a result of going to their salon in the first place by one of their inexperienced stylists.

If you hair could withstand another color process you could probably go with a demi or semi permanent color which is deposit only instead or permanent haircolor but use the same color she put into your hair just so the color looks even throughout and then afterward I'd ask her to put on something like a Goldwell Colorance Clear Coat to seal up those cuticles on your overprocessed hair to lock in that color and provide shine to that hair.

Then as for home care you should be deep conditioning the hair with a good professional conditioner however before you buy a conditioner or shampoo make sure it doesn't have "PANTHENOL" in it as an ingredient. Why you ask well this is why....PANTHENOL is commonly found in conditioners, and shampoos for thin, fine hair to make it appear thicker and more volume. The Panthenol slightly causes the cuticle layer of the hair to raise slightly which on overprocessed hair like yourself will cause snarls, knots, and just problems also since it raises that cuticle slightly it will also allow that color to slowly bleed out and fade from the hair quicker too.

G'luck let us know how you make out. If you in the Upstate, NY area and would like a service or color please feel free to PM me.

Cheers

Edited by Claude
tajVic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tajVic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2005 at 8:24am
I'm in NYC
Wish you were closer and thanks for the advice!!!!
V. Wells
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic