Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

age and hair length

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Laine1998 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laine1998 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: age and hair length
    Posted: September 27 2002 at 6:12pm
I am only 21, but I think that older women with long hair look nice. Especially the ones with the "natural" silver/grey hair, not the purpleish/blueish tones to it. As long as I can, I will try to keep my hair long, I just like it that way.
Anne-Loes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anne-Loes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2002 at 4:08pm
Hey Arizona,

Go for waist length hair again. You`re never too old for long hair. I passed the age of 35 and my hair is 41 inches. You used to have waist length hair and you were happy with it. Go for it again and join the girls with long hair. We will be girls for ever!!

Anne-Loes
Anne-Loes
caroline View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caroline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2002 at 2:59pm
I`m 29 and have hair just past my waist. I don`t plan on cutting it anytime soon other than for routine trims. I just recently went back to graduate school, but will keep it long when I`m done and in the corporate world. I`ll just wear it up in some cool "professional" updo`s. :) My sister who is 33 and a mom of 2 has waist-length hair as well. She doesn`t plan on cutting hers either.

I think long hair looking good has to do with the health and maintenance of it. I can`t stand to see hair that is scraggly at the ends. PLEASE: If you have long hair, get it trimmed regularly. :) Also, regarding long hair and age. I think it really depends on the person`s personality and personal style. I used to work with a lady who was in her mid 50`s and had beautiful blond hair that fell to the area in between BSL and waist length.
Feline View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Feline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2002 at 6:05pm
Hello, everyone. I am currently pushing 49 and have my hair down to my hips. I like it this way, my husband likes it this way, and nobody else gets a vote! Actually, I do get a lot of compliments from people, men and women. The only people who seem to think I should cut it are hairdressers (surprise!) and women who are stuck in the real-short-style haircutting loop, you know the ones who absolutely must go to the stylist every so many weeks or it "looks awful". Please don`t let anyone tell you that you are "too old" to wear it long!
Gord View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2002 at 1:47am
Originally posted by Sobriquet Sobriquet wrote:

count me as one of those "oldsters" who will keep her long hair!

(Funny how no one asks a similar question about men and facial hair after a certain age)

I don`t know about other men, but I found that growing a beard was cheaper than getting a facelift.

Sobriquet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sobriquet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2002 at 8:36pm
count me as one of those "oldsters" who will keep her long hair!

(Funny how no one asks a similar question about men and facial hair after a certain age)
Wavy Brunette
Current Length: 29"
Goal Length: my maximum growth potential ;)
ladystardust View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladystardust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2002 at 6:51pm
I had to jump on to this thread...

There are too many famous women around who are past...shall we say the "Britney" age and have long hair. And always should as far as I am concerned.

Long hair is often seen as a sign of sexual availabilty. Hopefully, as society begins to realize that people of ALL ages and genders have sex, they will begin to loosen up on this nonsense that women should have long hair until they are...whatever the "cutoff" (bad pun) age is, and men have to ALWAYS have short hair.

It`s all a bunch of hooey. It`s YOUR hair-you`re the one who has to wear it.

Just try to limit it to no more than 3 colors at once :)

Erin
growing pains View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote growing pains Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2002 at 5:48pm
I agree that older women can still be beautiful with long hair, a friend of mine is in her late forties with waist length hair and she is gorgeous. One thing I feel the need to remind people of though - long hair is only attractive when it is in good condition!! There is nothing nastier than scraggly, thin, lifeless hair hanging around someone- especially an older woman (it does make you look like a hag). Long for long`s sake is definitely not a pretty sight. If you have pretty long hair, then by all means let it grow and be proud. If it is a mess, then do us all a favor and cut it into some sort of style!
Gord View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2002 at 5:28pm
I love this place, but I wish I was still in school.
Doro7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doro7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2002 at 10:42am
Short funny story:
I`m a Assistant Teacher and was at the school Friday helping the Director move some boxes. We were in a room where the new 7th grade teacher (whom I had not met) was setting up. My back was to her (my hair was in a loose ponytail.) The Director and I were carring out a large box, and I hear someone say, "What grade are you going into?" The Director and I looked at each other, smiled and then I looked at the new teacher, and she said, "Oh, I`m sorry, I thought you were a student here." We all chuckled and the Director introduced me to her. I was on cloud 9 the rest of the day!

If you did not read my post up top, I am 35 and have waist length hair.

Keep Smilin`
Dorothy :)
Nicole View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2002 at 12:18pm
I`m almost 26 and my intention is to see how long my hair will get in my lifetime. Right now, it`s a few inches shy of passing my butt. I want to be one of those old women with long silver hair. I`ve had long hair for more years of my life than I haven`t, and I will never cut it short. The longer you have long hair, the more interesting things you learn to do with it. It is so much more versatile than short hair. Frankly, I`d be bored with short hair. By the time I have kids, I expect my hair to be at least to my knees. By that time, I also expect to be quite adept at putting it up and out of the way of grabbing hands.

I think long hair makes a woman look timeless and ageless. It can make an otherwise plain looking woman look breathtaking. All of the women I`ve seen with hair past their behinds have been in their 30s or older, and it looks so stunning on them.
Lyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2002 at 12:10pm
You know, I was sitting in a committee meeting yesterday at the corporation for which I work. At 21 I am by FAR the youngest person there and my shoulder-length hair is hands-down the longest. Interesting how almost evryone in my corporate world cuts their hair as they reach 30. I`ve read books that recommend cutting your hair to look older...so following that rule, keeping it long would make someone look youthful. Who knows if that`s true, but during my college years I NEVER had the longest hair...in fact, shoulder-length was considered short among my circle of friends. As with everything, it`s completely relative. I think many professional women cut their hair simply because it`s less to dry in the morning, and if they`re mothers, less for the kids to pull. Personally I think I`ll keep mine long into my 30s...for no other reason than I`ll be distinctive. :-)
Look for beauty, and you will find no intelligence. Look for intelligence and you will find both.Proud member of the Cult of All Soft
scotcdnlass View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scotcdnlass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2002 at 9:27am
I like my hair long, I`ve just turned 33 and can`t imagine after working so hard and being so patient chopping my hair off because I turned some number.

My mother (who is 60 and short haired) believes that long hair makes women look older or trying too far hard to look younger. She says that she figures I have a good 5 or 6 years of long hair left. I think she`s crazy. She says long grey hair looks like witchy-poo hair; all frizzy and out of control.

I think the secret to having lovely long hair at any age, is not trying to completely dye out your silver or grey, but to compliment it or use rinses to brighten the lovely silver or white. I don`t think I would want to be 70 have that skunk stripe thing going on dying out the grey every month.

I take very good care of my hair now and I figure I will just continue doing so instead of chopping it off and looking like the rest of those short haired grannies out there that followed the path of least resistance. Didn`t all grannies at one time have a hair bun, apron and a platter of cookies? I think the long hair could make an elderly woman look sweet and friendly, not witchy at all.

Really its not about age at all, but good hair care and treating your hair well.

Good luck to all those women growing out their hair.

Lori
PurpleBubba View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PurpleBubba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2002 at 1:34pm
Hi there Karen. I just wanted to expand upon this a bit.

Everytime I hear this question it reminds me of certain movies or people who I`ve seen with long hair that were older.

Jessica Tandy had some nice long hair.

Colleen Dewhurst (Anne of Green Gables, Murphy Brown`s Mom) had nice long hair.

And I`m always reminded of Native American men and women who I`ve seen with nice long hair.

These would all be great examples of people who had not only long hair but natural color.

I agree with you about how they choose to wear it. That is the real issue, individuality.
WUVIE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WUVIE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2002 at 11:55am

I don`t think that hair length is so much the issue when one is older, as how they choose to wear it.

Mind you, I`m nearing 40 but have no intention of cutting my hair, which is brushing the crease at the back of my knees. I wear it up quite often, and if that makes me look older, then I am quite content with it.

I`m not growing my hair for anyone but myself. Sure, I enjoy wearing it down once in a while when dining out for the evening, but on a daily basis, long hair is in the way for me. I`m a busy girl with much to do and hair in the way is not something I want to deal with.

But back to the age subject.

I would say that pony tails might not be the best choice for a 53 year old at a P.T.A. meeting.
This is the sort of thing that comes to mind when age questions arise, at least for me.

A pulled back hairdo with curled ends and a beautiful barrette, a nice chignon, a pretty bun with chopsticks...there are many options other than wearing it down which still reveal not only it`s beauty, but the length of one`s hair is rather obvious based on the style. Look at Tyne Daly.

I don`t feel the need to have my hair down all the time so that people will know it is long. I know that it is long, and I know that there are beautiful styles that only long hair can pull off.

To me, nothing has more of a romantic note that the image of an older woman, freshly bathed in her soft cotton pajamas brushing out a yard`s length of hair.

:-)

http://www.wuvie.net/STRESSLESS_tresses.htm">STRESSLESS TRESSES

Karen Marie... / ACCOLADY

"You never see Eve, Venus, or the Graces painted with cropped hair."
Robert / Purplebubba View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert / Purplebubba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2002 at 6:12pm
I agree with the others for the most part. The most important point to make is that it doesn`t matter what other people think. If they could tell us who the person is that came up with these age rules that might be helpful. But until then no one matters except You. What you do with Your hair is Your choice. If yyou change your hair the main reason that has to be there is because You wanted to and all other reasons are secondary.
Gord View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2002 at 11:47pm
Now, this is a string I can wholeheartedly support. Bravo, especially to the ladies with long hair who agree that age should not be a barrier against having long hair.

God bless you all!
SnowWhite View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SnowWhite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2002 at 6:39pm
Last week I saw an older lady with waist length silver/gray hair. It was wonderful. I don`t think there should be an age limit.
?/35.5/ tailbone
curly hair
<><
RedJen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RedJen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2002 at 4:38pm
Bill, that is such a sad story. Every so often, I flirt with idea of cutting my hair short, but my husband always reminds me of how devastated I would be if I cut it. Plus, I would also look fat and out of proportion, especially since I have a big head. Your friend will eventually feel better, once she gets some length back on. It will take a while. I have girls come up to me all the time to tell me their hair used to be long but they "had" to cut it. (Some for their jobs, some because "I`m a grown-up" now.)

I loved your line about "waving it around like a trophy." It is a trophy to some of these people. I don`t go to stylists any more because I can`t relax around them. It`s too tempting for them to try to make a conquest of me, whether I want to be or not.
20/42/as long as it will get
2b/Red
Bill W View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2002 at 3:57pm
The age limit at which a woman should cut off her long hair is DEATH! Before that is premature. All seriousness aside, if you decide it does not look good wearing it long, it certainly will not look good short. If anything it will look downright boring and frumpy. Despite what the bimbo or clown you paid to hack off all your hair said while they did a little dance and waved your cut off hair around like a trophy. At the same time they are thinking, "I got another, what a loser!" If If you decide to cut it all off and wonder why your husband or boyfriend doesn`t think it is attractive, don`t be stupid and keep asking him why not. You know why. Just look in the mirror.
Sorry if I seem harsh, but a very dear friend of mine just cut her past waist length hair to a bob and she absolutely hates it! It does not become her at all and now she sees herself as too fat, out of preportion and generally unattractive. She has been crying her self to sleep the last two nights and her husband (a very close friend of mine) says she is unbearable to be around. I had been trimming her hair for the last 9 years and she did it without even discussing it with her husband or me first. Now only do I feel betrayed but she is angry at me because I had always been such a trusted friend trimming her ends, and she trusted a "stylist" that seemed so nice to trim her hair, before he betrayed her trust and chopped it off on her. So she is mad at me for something I did not do, she is angry and depressed and blames me, like I am somehow responsible. I feel a great loss as well as sympathy for what was done to her. I have feelings that are mixed between cheated on and robbed of a good friend. Her husband and I are going camping and fishing for the weekend to give her some time alone and him a break from her mood. Maybe we will have some nice weather and enjoy a few beers. At least I do not have to go home to hear her crying all night afterwards like he does. Poor guy.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic