Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

neutrogena vs. glycolic peels

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
femmemuscle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote femmemuscle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: neutrogena vs. glycolic peels
    Posted: September 18 2005 at 2:50pm

i've been working with the neutrogena acne fade peel for over 2 - 3 months...the commercials, i'm beginning to believe, are a bit misleading.. at first the peel worked well on the new acne scars..

it never even touched the old ones..i decided to be a bit more aggressive on the old ones and began a glycolic peel and microdermabrasion regime on them..and it works..my acne stemmed from hormones plus having to wear an O.R. mask all day..

Now that i am out of that environment, i still have quite a few "battle scars" left over that i couldn't seem to get rid of..

the glycolic peel seems to exfoliate the skin layers and the microdermasion seems to be a lot more effective in the sloughing off of the dead skin..in one month, i could see a difference in the old scars...it's going to take forever to clear this up..but at least i think i have something to work with now..

also diluted "skin tend" is working well, too.

poisongirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote poisongirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2005 at 5:41pm
About the glycolic peel-do you do it yourself or you go to a professional?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote femmemuscle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2005 at 11:54pm

there is a web site that sells glycolic peels for home use..they sell a line that is made exclusively for scars..you don't put it all over your face, just the acne scar about 2 - 3 times a week...i thought that was a bit much, but i have found it works without any problems...sundays and thursdays are the days that i use it..

the microdermabrasion is for tues..

I've been using this for about a year now,....then thinking that i needed something different, i used the neutrogena for about 2 - 3 months...now i'm going back to the home peels...the scars are fading - not rapidly, but there is a difference between the two products...

go to any search engine and type in "home glycolic peels", this is probably the first site to pop up..

aseya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aseya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2005 at 4:50pm
What percentage of the glycolic acid are you using?
I only ask because I was working at a skin clinic about two years ago and I was training and had to have the treatments myself. Anyway, I ended up having 2-3 treatments (glycolic and MDA) and my skin still hasn't recovered.
I broke out in sebohreac (I know I spelled that wrong, sorry:) ) dermatitis and am still quite EXTREMELY sensitive to the sun(I have darker skin and NEVER burned before, but now I burn walking to my car if I'm not protected). I know it could  be something else that caused it, but the treatments are the only thing I can think of that I did that could have caused it.

Also, are you using a sunscreen daily? It's really important that you do, even if you're just at home. Cuz the skins been exfoliated and is the new skin is really sensitive and not wearing a sunscreen could cause more scarring.

Sorry, I don't want to seem like I'm lecturing or anything! I just want to make sure your skin is as protected and healthy as possible :)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote femmemuscle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2005 at 10:17pm

thanks! it is very good..i can always learn something...i use a moisturizer after the peel with a built in sunscreen, and a  concealer with a very high sunscreen #..(dermablend & mac concealer is very good) i use the peel only on the scars..

the glycolic peel "ranges" depending on how long you keep it on your face...#30%for 5 minutes, #40% for 10 minutes and #60% for 10 - 15 minutes..

before applying the glycolic, you use this copper peptide product  that comes in the kit which enhances the affect of the peel...i don't use it anywhere else on my face..once i did it for a couple of weeks, and my whole face had this "orange peel" texture...it faded after a few days, but boy - it wasn't pretty to look at..

as for the rest of my face, it's the usual cleanse, tone and moisturize, with a egg yolk masque (by Queen Helene - real cheap), once or twice a week while i'm under the hair dryer.

and of course, the microdermabrasion to slough off the dead skin cells..(that's a lot of work, now that i'm typing this out)..

aseya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aseya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2005 at 3:31pm
Hmm, I only used a 10% on my face. I guess I must have just been one of those rare cases!

I made a list of my night-time ritual last night and it was pretty long too! I don't think I ever thought about it before because I just love pampering myself and having treatments done.

I'm glad its working for you though. I remember when I had my MDA treatment, I kept touching my face afterwards cuz it felt so smooth!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote femmemuscle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2005 at 7:42pm
yep!  i was hoping that the mda would just wisk away all the blemishes on my face on the first treatment...but all of this takes time...i do remember doing the microdermabrasion too often...my face was swollen in all of the places where i concentrated the mda wand and crystals..can't use it too often..i tried using it 4 or 5 times one week and never did that again..
LostForever View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LostForever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2005 at 6:48pm
I've been using Tazorac on my scars for a few years now and it works
really well. Even clears up existing acne.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic